Author Thread: A Consensus on Christianity
NRSV1953

View Profile
History
A Consensus on Christianity
Posted : 11 Feb, 2013 02:54 PM

This question is for women and men:

When you boil it all down, what does a Christian really have to believe? Can you list the one or two criteria that are absolutely required for someone to be considered a Christian?

I am curious to see if such a diverse group of Christians can come to a consensus about the most basic requirement for being a Christian. Remember, Jesus may be reading this too!

View Profile
History
Posted : 15 Feb, 2013 06:36 PM

Those two do NOT work for me.

1. Faith in Jesus Christ

2. All are born into sin

What works for me is that a Christian must be loving and charitable, or else their faith and their beliefs are vain and worthless.

"And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing." KJV

Per 1 Corinthians 13:1-13, Link here = http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20Corinthians%2013&version=KJV

We need to judge a tree by its fruit, and faith without works is a dead faith - James 2:14-20, Link here = http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=James%202:14-20&version=KJV

:excited:

NRSV1953

View Profile
History
Posted : 15 Feb, 2013 07:12 PM

Sandman,

You wrote, "Those two do NOT work for me. 1. Faith in Jesus Christ 2. All are born into sin"

Would you agree that the basic requirement for being a Christian is just #1 - Faith in Jesus Christ?

I am trying to find the one or two most basic tenets that every Christian can accept.

View Profile
History
Posted : 16 Feb, 2013 05:28 AM

Sandman,

I dont think anyone would say that works are not are part of the chist- follower life.

Only that works are not the foundation for salvation Christ is. A follower of Christ shhould bear evidence of works of repentence, charity and obedience.

Faith alone apart from works is evidenced all throughout Pauls writings and Jesus teachings, right?

So what is the difficulty for you my friend?

I think the difficulty is works lets us stay in controll where faith puts us in a position of vaulneribility.

Faith requires absolute trust in God and if we were all honest we would all admit we all have a level of issue with trust. With people and with God.

This is the real work God wants to do in our lives bring us into greater trust with Him as little children.

View Profile
History
Posted : 16 Feb, 2013 07:01 AM

The post above ask this question = "Faith alone apart from works is evidenced all throughout Pauls writings and Jesus teachings, right?"

Answer = No, that is not right.

Jesus repeatedly told about doing works, as like the Samaritan who gave assistance when others would not, and Jesus Himself going to the cross was a work in extreme while Jesus also tells His followers to take up thy own cross too, Mark 8:34, link = http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Mark%208:34-37&version=KJV

And it was the Apostle Paul who said:

"And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing."

Per 1 Corinthians 13:1-13, Link here = http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20Corinthians%2013&version=KJV

Paul said those are NOTHING.

Then there is this from James 2:17 " Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone. 18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works. 19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble. 20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?"

So no - it does not say any such thing as "Faith alone apart from works", and claiming a "faith in Jesus" without the real charitable and loving works is a false Christian.

FYI.

NRSV1953

View Profile
History
Posted : 16 Feb, 2013 03:25 PM

While we all know that true Christians will desire to do more than the "minimum," for the purposes of this question, I am just trying to find one or two common denominators upon which we can all agree.

Please tell me if we can all agree that John 3:16 is basic for all Christians?

Perhaps, if we can first agree to the most basic of questions,later we could build upon it in another post.

View Profile
History
Posted : 17 Feb, 2013 04:54 AM

7That in the ages to come he might show the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus. 8For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: 9Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Ephesians 2:7

And what pray tell do you do with this scripture verse?

View Profile
History
Posted : 17 Feb, 2013 11:05 AM

Ephesians 2:7-9 And what pray tell do you do with this scripture verse?

The key word there is "boast" as in do not boast as if the works earn salvation.

That is true also about faith - that one is not to boast about their faith either.

Faith without works is dead - just as works without faith is very near dead too.

Ephesians 2 is not saying that works are not to be done or that faith stands alone, but saying that one must not boast in any such things.

In verse 8 where it says - "by grace are ye saved through faith" then it does not really mean our own faith, as we are saved by the faith of Christ who took our punishment onto Himself.

As to John 3:16

Then even the Devil and devils believe in God and in Jesus - and they tremble - James 2:19.

So belief is needed and so is faith needed and so are works needed and still more is needed, as like one needs the correct knowledge and correct understanding, and still more is needed, as in one needs a sincere or pure heart too.

View Profile
History
Posted : 18 Feb, 2013 04:30 AM

Knowledge of God is good, but ultimately not salvation. Salvation is only possible through faith in Jesus as both your atoning sacrifice and sovereign Lord - beliefs the devil does not hold despite his knowledge of God. These are basic tenets of the Christian faith and I'm surprised that on a Christian based website we would need to clarify them even though we increasingly need to to do so for the world.

NRSV1953

View Profile
History
Posted : 18 Feb, 2013 01:25 PM

From what I've read, I have come to the sad conclusion that there is not even one thing every Christian (that read or replied to this post) can agree upon.

Personally, I find that extremely discouraging. I wonder what Jesus thinks?

DontHitThatMark

View Profile
History
Posted : 19 Feb, 2013 05:53 AM

I wouldn't say it should be surprising considering christian history, and the bible prophesies that it will be worse as time goes on. I do think we should be able to agree on the simple idea that believing in Jesus as the divine savior should be enough to be considered a christian, but I think that immediately after we have faith and become a christian, the bible has a few other things that we must do to keep on being considered a "christian". If we have faith, but don't have love, then we're worthless as Christians and Jesus will say he never knew us. If we have faith, but do not turn away/repent from sin, we're not quite new creatures and we deny the power of christ. If we have faith, but do not bear the fruit of a changed life, we're barren fig trees and we'll be cut down. Jesus and his parables draw out all of those facts, it's not just always simply "faith". Faith in Jesus is the foundation, and we're to build on it.

"Therefore the Lord GOD said:" Look, I have laid a stone in Zion, a tested stone, a precious cornerstone, a sure foundation; the one who believes will be unshakable."

"Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity."

:peace::peace:

Page : 1 2 3