Author Thread: Christians who smoke.
Admin

Christians who smoke.
Posted : 1 Apr, 2009 10:50 AM

Hi Everyone,

I would like to share with those of you who smoke, whether it's frequently or "occasionally" or trying to quit, some information that will hopefully help you or give you an incentive to quit. I am not writing this to condemn you as that is not my job. I do want to give you some things to think about as Christians in this dating world you find yourself in.

I would like for you to consider the statistics of smokers. In The USA only 22% of the population smokes. That includes Christians. If Christians were to be separated into a separate poll from this, I believe the statistic would be considerably less.

So please consider this.

Most Christians will not date a smoker no matter how nice they are or how good looking they are. It is usually a deal breaker. Since most Christians will not date a smoker and almost 80% of Christians do not smoke, you are limiting your field of potential mates. Think about it. You could be the nicest person in the world and also great looking, but if you smoke, you have eliminated the majority of potential candidates for dating and marriage.

I haven't even addressed the health issues of this and probably have no need to. You know how dangerous it is.

Now let me address this from a biblical perspective.

Is smoking a sin? NO!.... BUT....if it is an addiction, like anything else it becomes a sin.

Does smoking affect your witness as a Christian? Of course it does. How effective can you be when sharing the Gospel with someone who has addictions and needing deliverance. Will they not wonder why you have not been delivered from smoking. I mean how powerful is your God anyway? Why would they want to trust a God who can't deliver them from an addiction? That is just one angle to think about. But let's get deeper than that.

1Corinthians 6:18 Flee sexual immorality. Every sin that a man does is outside the body, but he who commits sexual immorality sins against his own body.

19 Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, AND YOU ARE NOT YOUR OWN.

20 For you were bought at a price; THEREFORE glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God's. NKJV

Now even though this passage is speaking about sexual immorality, there is a glaring principle here that you should not overlook. Our bodies, if indeed you are a Christian, do not belong to you. They belong to Christ Jesus.

Let's look at two more scriptures before I conclude.

Rom 14:21 It is good neither to eat meat nor drink wine NOR DO ANYTHING...by which your brother stumbles OR IS OFFENDED or is made weak. NKJV

Do you see the principle here? We are commanded to not do anything that could cause another fellow believer to stumble, or be made weak or to become offended. Does smoking offend people? Of course it does. It is one of the most disgusting smells around.

1Cor 8:13 Therefore, if food makes my brother stumble, I will never again eat meat, lest I make my brother stumble. NKJV

Paul was laying out this same principle here of not doing something that would cause another believer to stumble. The issue was dealing with eating meat sacrificed to idols. However we can still see the application and we can rightfully apply it to smoking, or any tobacco product or even drinking alcoholic beverages.

I think it is very important to realize that these teachings in the Epistles are not mere "suggestions" but are in fact commandments from Christ. Here's why.

1Cor 14:37 If anyone thinks himself to be a prophet or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things which I write to you are the commandments of the Lord. NKJV

The things Paul writes are direct commandments from Christ our Lord and Savior.

John 14:21 He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me. And he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and manifest Myself to him." NKJV

Jesus said that if we truly love Him then we will keep HIS commandments. He is talking about His NEW Testament commandments.

Do you really love Christ Jesus? Then do what you have to do to quit smoking.

Besides....kisses were meant to be sweet and not bitter. :)

Love in Christ,

Walter

Linnie41

View Profile
History
Christians who smoke.
Posted : 17 Apr, 2009 02:05 AM

Hi Walter,

You mentioned a few verses from Romans 14. I want to back up a little to something else Paul said in Romans 7:15-25

7:15 For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.

7:16 If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.

7:17 Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.

7:18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.

7:19 For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.

7:20 Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.

7:21 I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.

7:22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:

7:23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.

7:24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?

7:25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

We are NEVER free from sin in this world. Remember, that Paul had been converted for around 20 years when writing these verses!! He wasn't living the life of sin he had before he was changed, but sin was still very present in his life - and he abhorred it!! But he had great insight into human nature and how we live for God spiritually, but still struggle with our flesh. "So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin."

Now think of what kind of person Paul was. He was a great man of God!! He was beheaded (or so tradition states) for his unwillingness to stop preaching the gospel!! BUT, look at what he wrote again - until his death, he struggled with the flesh.

Don't think I'm saying that because Paul sinned that it gives me free reign to make excuses for things I do wrong. Of course, we should all strive continually to be more like Christ. However, as you can see, smoking is a touchy subject. It can't be compared to sexual sin in any way - I know what you're trying to say with your passages - that we should honor our bodies, and you're right. But smoking is a physical addiction - one of the strongest out there. I've told people that quitting is my hobby because I've done it so many times. Lol

Walter, I've read your original post over and over and over, trying to be objective and trying to read it from the stance of a non-smoker. But even then, it honestly does sound judgemental toward smokers, that in some way, they don't love God like they should for continuing to smoke. Please read again what you wrote: "However like in any sinful behavior, if one is unrepentant then one should examine their own heart and ask themselves honestly how much do they really love Jesus if they are not quitting from doing something that is sinful such as causing others to stumble or become offended or affecting their witness or harming the body which no longer belongs to them because it is the Temple of the Holy Spirit." Now imagine saying this to Paul after what he wrote. You would be, in fact, suggesting that Paul should "ask himself honestly how much does he really love Jesus if he is still doing things wrong in the flesh." (Paraphrasing your words).

Paul's words spoke for everyone on earth - you included. There are things that you still do, in the flesh, that you question WHY, when you know you shouldn't. The only difference between you and me is that there wasn't a box on the questionaire for your sin. If I'm wrong, then you're either in denial or living a much holier life than even the Apostle Paul did.

I'm not yelling, Walter. These words are meant with Christ's love.

Lynn

View Profile
History
Christians who smoke.
Posted : 17 Apr, 2009 03:15 AM

Thanks to all of you and God Bless!!!!

The Holy Spirit is truely the Great equalizer!!!

gracegrace

View Profile
History
Christians who smoke.
Posted : 19 Apr, 2009 07:53 PM

What about coffee, which contains a very real addictive drug? Or, sodas? Caffeine is very addictive. I am reminded of this when I don't have my coffee before 10:00 am each day!! I start going through withdrawals (headache). Do you drink coffee or sodas? It have no nutritional value, but I love, love, love my coffee. :hearts:

But I don't smoke, so am I ok?

Debbie

View Profile
History
Christians who smoke.
Posted : 20 Apr, 2009 10:05 AM

Debbie:

I have to admit that I chuckled a bit at your last statement. Not at you Debbie; I, just started thinking of the field day the Pharisees would have had with this one simply as an opportunity to gain the glory of mankind and to elevate themselves.

I am not going to pummel you with Scripture here; one will do

1 Corinthians 6:12

�Everything is permissible for me��but not everything is beneficial. �Everything is permissible for me��but I will not be mastered by anything.

The simple truth here is that we have one Master; Jesus Christ.

Every true believer struggles with things in their life that are Permissible, but not beneficial. Including worshiping the body by way of exercise and diet. The Question to ask yourself is, who are you serving?

Your question has everything to do with your personal walk with God and is not for man to judge.

GRACE is what God uses to Change us and He is judge. We are commanded to love one another in Christ.

Take it to Jesus Debbie and let God give you the grace and faith to follow his lead.

With Love in Christ

Gregg

sunshineaaks

View Profile
History
Christians who smoke.
Posted : 21 Apr, 2009 09:15 PM

Hi Walter. I�m new here and just started today, (Started three days ago, actually, and couldn�t post till now..... lol) but somehow was directed to your post and decided to answer. I�m not entirely sure how to post yet so please bare with me, think this is in the right spot though

You sure sound so much like me a few years back. Almost the exact words on how I felt and thought of the alcoholic. �He/she can just quit, they after all are effecting so many lives with their blurred actions, hurtful words and abuse. If they would only quite drinking things would be a whole lot better.� True enough statements just as some of your statements are true. (One sided, like mine, but true enough) Smoking is an addiction and should stop, especially for the Christian.

I give you the second paragraph hoping you don�t see this as an attack on you because I am only adding scripture to what you have already placed here.

I tried to quite for years, (still am and will succeed one day) but I am also very thankful for the weakness I have in cigarettes. Don�t get me wrong here, I�m NOT thankful that I smoke; but I am thankful for the lessons this weakness has taught about compassion and forgiveness along with really taking a long hard look at myself. (Something you might want to do after you are done with the smoker like I did when I was done with the drunk) I have to add here, after looking only at myself (and not anyone else) , there was not much I was beginning to like about myself when taking that deep prayerful look inside. Psalm 139:23-24 was the hardest prayer I have ever prayed because I knew He would answer.

Often, when people would voice objection to my smoking and tell me that it was disgusting that I still smoked when all I had to do was just quite; I would get angry. They were right which is the main reason I got mad and stormed away or defended myself (much the same as you with your "pointing finger" scripture quotes).

Now, the anger is gone because for one, I know they are correct in that smoking is bad for my health so why get upset with the truth.(no matter if they say it with a condemning attitude or not doesn�t matter to me) And two; even though they refuse to see the minute changes toward quiting, I know I will one day be a non smoker when the lessons are learned and faith grows. And a third reason that I no longer get angry is because I now can see clearly not only my own faults that seem so slow in correcting at times, but also those of the condemner that he/she refuses to acknowledge even when the faults are clearly pointed out. I don�t even have to point out their very obvious faults any longer, but pray that God reveals in His time.

Was it Paul who begged for the thorn in the flesh be removed? What was the answer to him? �My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.� (2 Corinthians 12:7-10) (NASB)

Am I proud that I am a smoker.... never! Have I prayed and begged for this to be removed? Yes, often and will continue to pray for this. Do I know and trust that He can and will take the desire away? Yes. Have I been a witness for Him in spite of my smoking - this weakness that torments? Yes, absolutely.

The unsaved who know I am a Christian have mentioned they don�t feel hypocrisy and condemnation from me but only compassion when I talk with them. (I explain the difference between righteous judgement [hating the sin] from unrighteous judgement [condemning the sinner] which takes away their excuse of the hypocrite for rejecting Christ) The unsaved so often feel the judgement and loathing from those who call themselves Christian, those who refuse any sort of compassion for the lost soul but show only disgust at unclean clothing, smoking or the poor station in life. They also know that I am no better than they in any way except that I have the kind of peace that they want and long for. Has my smoking affected my witness for Christ? Yes.

You are more than likely correct when you state: �Most Christians will not date a smoker no matter how nice they are or how good looking they are. It is usually a deal breaker. Since most Christians will not date a smoker and almost 80% of Christians do not smoke, you are limiting your field of potential mates. Think about it. You could be the nicest person in the world and also great looking, but if you smoke, you have eliminated the majority of potential candidates for dating and marriage.�

With that statement, which I also believe to be true, I know it weeds out some of the piety and self righteousness I won�t have to deal with and points me in the direction of those who are either willing to help me through it all or willing to accept that I will quite in good time or they will quite with me. Either way my weakness weeds out the thorns. Wouldn�t you say? (However, those who aren�t pious or self righteous - I hope we can be friends :yay: and a willingness to pray with me and I with you)

I do like your emphasis on Romans 14:21 �It is good neither to eat meat nor drink wine NOR DO ANYTHING...by which your brother stumbles OR IS OFFENDED or is made weak. NKJV�

NOR DO ANYTHING - OR IS OFFENDED - Would that include pious self righteous judgement of others? Pompous glee at angering a brother/sister about a fault rather than working through a difference? Pious hypocritical behavior and words that refuse to reflect the speakers own faults and weaknesses but rather only point out that of others?

To quote your words back to you: �Do you see the principle here? We are commanded to not do anything that could cause another fellow believer to stumble, or be made weak or to become offended.�

Does the pious self righteous person offend others?

Of course they do, most definitely and one of the biggest excuses the unsaved use for rejecting Christ.

It is but only one of the most offensive and disgusting attitudes around!

Even though God is very concerned with what goes into the body as you mentioned in 1 Corinthians 8:13; the scripture, however, shows that His greatest concern and disdain is for what comes out of the mouth that defile a man in Mark 7

(18) And He said to them, �Are you lacking in understanding also? Do you not understand that whatever goes into the man from the outside cannot defile him, (19) because it does not go into his heart, but into his stomach, and is eliminated� (Thus He declared all foods clean) (20)And he was saying, �THAT which proceeds OUT of the man, THAT is what DEFILES the man. (21) For from within, out of the HEART of man, proceeds the evil thoughts, fornications, thefts, murders, adulteries, (22) deeds of coveting and wickedness, as well as deceit, sensuality, envy, slander, pride AND foolishness. (23) ALL these evil things proceed from within and defile the man.� [New American Standard Bible]

You are correct in that these are not �mere suggestions� but are in fact, divine rules Christ set out for us to follow.

I won�t ask if you really love Christ, because I believe you actually do in your own way and want to live as He has commanded in His word. You�re young enough, though, you�ll learn. :waving:

sunshineaaks

View Profile
History
Christians who smoke.
Posted : 21 Apr, 2009 09:25 PM

Oppps, I didn't sign my name on that last post, I'm Alice. :goofball:

View Profile
History
Christians who smoke.
Posted : 23 Apr, 2009 07:41 PM

"Is smoking a sin? NO!.... "

I beg to differ Sir, it is a sin. Your body is a temple of the Lord. Anything you do to cause harm to your body is a sin, this includes SMOKING! We have known for years that smoking leads to: cancer, high blood pressure, and heart problems just to name a few. God gave us one body and we are to take care of it!

View Profile
History
Christians who smoke.
Posted : 23 Apr, 2009 11:39 PM

I'm sure that you are aware that automobile exaust, as well as, many other things that you breath every day of your life cause cancer as well as the diet drinks that so many consume. My question to you is, with that knowledge, how come you don't wear a gas mask when you drive or go outside. Arent you intentionally harming your body when you can do something about it? I guess you are a sinner because you don't wear a gas mask. hmmm.....

Absurd isn't it?

View Profile
History
Christians who smoke.
Posted : 24 Apr, 2009 03:15 PM

I use this Absurd example to point out the hypocrisy in the so-called church and in humanity in general. Smoking is politically incorrect so it is easy to pick on smokers. Is this a way to take your mind off the things that you do to harm your body and make you feel better?

Some would say that smoking is a disgusting habit. That is OK with me, but I think overeating is a disgusting habit and shows a great lack of self control. One thing I don't do it walk around throwing it is their faces.

When do you cross the line to idolizing the body?

Get off the finger pointing bandwagon and show the love of Christ!

Grace Changes the heart, not finger pointing.

Linnie41

View Profile
History
Christians who smoke.
Posted : 25 Apr, 2009 12:27 AM

Amen, GregorySt.

Page : 1 2 3