Author Thread: Christians who smoke.
Admin

Christians who smoke.
Posted : 1 Apr, 2009 10:50 AM

Hi Everyone,

I would like to share with those of you who smoke, whether it's frequently or "occasionally" or trying to quit, some information that will hopefully help you or give you an incentive to quit. I am not writing this to condemn you as that is not my job. I do want to give you some things to think about as Christians in this dating world you find yourself in.

I would like for you to consider the statistics of smokers. In The USA only 22% of the population smokes. That includes Christians. If Christians were to be separated into a separate poll from this, I believe the statistic would be considerably less.

So please consider this.

Most Christians will not date a smoker no matter how nice they are or how good looking they are. It is usually a deal breaker. Since most Christians will not date a smoker and almost 80% of Christians do not smoke, you are limiting your field of potential mates. Think about it. You could be the nicest person in the world and also great looking, but if you smoke, you have eliminated the majority of potential candidates for dating and marriage.

I haven't even addressed the health issues of this and probably have no need to. You know how dangerous it is.

Now let me address this from a biblical perspective.

Is smoking a sin? NO!.... BUT....if it is an addiction, like anything else it becomes a sin.

Does smoking affect your witness as a Christian? Of course it does. How effective can you be when sharing the Gospel with someone who has addictions and needing deliverance. Will they not wonder why you have not been delivered from smoking. I mean how powerful is your God anyway? Why would they want to trust a God who can't deliver them from an addiction? That is just one angle to think about. But let's get deeper than that.

1Corinthians 6:18 Flee sexual immorality. Every sin that a man does is outside the body, but he who commits sexual immorality sins against his own body.

19 Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, AND YOU ARE NOT YOUR OWN.

20 For you were bought at a price; THEREFORE glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God's. NKJV

Now even though this passage is speaking about sexual immorality, there is a glaring principle here that you should not overlook. Our bodies, if indeed you are a Christian, do not belong to you. They belong to Christ Jesus.

Let's look at two more scriptures before I conclude.

Rom 14:21 It is good neither to eat meat nor drink wine NOR DO ANYTHING...by which your brother stumbles OR IS OFFENDED or is made weak. NKJV

Do you see the principle here? We are commanded to not do anything that could cause another fellow believer to stumble, or be made weak or to become offended. Does smoking offend people? Of course it does. It is one of the most disgusting smells around.

1Cor 8:13 Therefore, if food makes my brother stumble, I will never again eat meat, lest I make my brother stumble. NKJV

Paul was laying out this same principle here of not doing something that would cause another believer to stumble. The issue was dealing with eating meat sacrificed to idols. However we can still see the application and we can rightfully apply it to smoking, or any tobacco product or even drinking alcoholic beverages.

I think it is very important to realize that these teachings in the Epistles are not mere "suggestions" but are in fact commandments from Christ. Here's why.

1Cor 14:37 If anyone thinks himself to be a prophet or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things which I write to you are the commandments of the Lord. NKJV

The things Paul writes are direct commandments from Christ our Lord and Savior.

John 14:21 He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me. And he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and manifest Myself to him." NKJV

Jesus said that if we truly love Him then we will keep HIS commandments. He is talking about His NEW Testament commandments.

Do you really love Christ Jesus? Then do what you have to do to quit smoking.

Besides....kisses were meant to be sweet and not bitter. :)

Love in Christ,

Walter

View Profile
History
Christians who smoke.
Posted : 13 Apr, 2009 12:53 PM

No offense Walter, but your take on smoking cigerettes is short sided at best. Addictions come in all shapes and sizes and upon close examination of your own life, I would bet that you have a few of your own. You would say that second hand smoke affects others and rightly so, but so do your indulgences influence the folks around you. Take a little advice from the word that you Frankly, did not devide correctly and remove the plank in your own eye before examining the speck in your brothers.

I have other opinions as to your motives in writing this, but that is for God to deal with.

View Profile
History
Christians who smoke.
Posted : 13 Apr, 2009 01:34 PM

A note to smokers. Does God want you to smoke? No. Does God want you to quit? Yes. Does the fact that you struggle with this and many other things that smokers and non-smokers struggle with mean that you do not love Jesus? No. The very implication is potentially damaging and absurd.

Do not let the arrogance of others discourage you in your walk with Christ and take the message above as a template of how not to judge or demean others.

Rom 12:3

For I say, through the grace that was given me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think as to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to each man a measure of faith.

Also, Read Romans Chapter 14. This discusses our measure of faith and the command not to judge the actions of another in regard to lawful, but not necessarily healthy behavior.

God Bless

View Profile
History
Christians who smoke.
Posted : 14 Apr, 2009 12:04 PM

Gregory,

You said: " No offense Walter, but your take on smoking cigerettes is short sided at best. Addictions come in all shapes and sizes and upon close examination of your own life, I would bet that you have a few of your own.

WALTER: No Gregory I have no addictions and it is improper for you to even suggest that I do. You do not know me Sir.

GREGORY: You would say that second hand smoke affects others and rightly so, but so do your indulgences influence the folks around you. Take a little advice from the word that you Frankly, did not devide correctly and remove the plank in your own eye before examining the speck in your brothers.

WALTER: Why is this becoming a personal attack against me Gregory? Where did I mishandle God's Word? Your opinion is merely that and means nothing unless you can "PROVE" where I mishandled it. If you are going to make a charge against someone for mishandling God's word then the burden of proof becomes yours.

GREGORY: I have other opinions as to your motives in writing this, but that is for God to deal with.

WALTER: Wow Gregory now you are judging my motives. No one has that right to judge the motives of another unless they are GOD and last I checked I don't believe you are HIM. This comment and the one above speaks a great deal about you.

Nothing in my post about smoking was placing any judgment or condemnation on others. Perhaps it was just too convicting for you because you are a smoker and you did not like the obvious spiritual applications from the scriptures which were in fact handled properly. Please show me where my exegesis was in error. Show me where I violated the principles of Hermeneutics. Show me where I wrongly applied the scriptures in question.

But do me and everyone else a favor including yourself. Try to do it in a Christ like manner and stop with your personal unChristian attacks and do not write me personally again and attack me like you have already done.

Grace to you!

In Christ,

Walter

View Profile
History
Christians who smoke.
Posted : 15 Apr, 2009 05:43 AM

Gregory,

Let me add this as well. You suggested that Romans 14 should be considered in this. Well it was and properly applied. You see you are implying that I am judging smokers. I am not whatsoever. I have merely pointed out a spiritual truth and application which you apparently have been so convicted of it that you decided to attack me personally. No biggie, I am thick skinned.

I also never implied that a Christian does not love Jesus because they smoked. However like in any sinful behavior, if one is unrepentant then one should examine their own heart and ask themselves honestly how much do they really love Jesus if they are not quitting from doing something that is sinful such as causing others to stumble or become offended or affecting their witness or harming the body which no longer belongs to them because it is the Temple of the Holy Spirit.

I am confident that all Christians love Christ Jesus. But I believe the depth of our love is reflected by our obedience to Him and not abusing the liberty we have in Christ.

1Cor 6:12 All things are lawful for me, but all things are not helpful. All things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any. NKJV

Rom 14:20 Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food. All things indeed are pure, but it is evil for the man who eats with offense.

Rom 14:21 It is good neither to eat meat nor drink wine nor do anything by which your brother stumbles or is offended or is made weak.

Grace to you!

In Christ,

Walter

View Profile
History
Christians who smoke.
Posted : 15 Apr, 2009 07:02 AM

The very scripture you use proves you wrong. Your many words do not make you heard. Jesus had something to say about that.

The Holy Spirit sheds the light and your contradictions and contextual mis-understanding will not be changed by me. No amount of lawyering will be affective.

Carry on walter I'm done with you. Although I'll continue to pray for you.

View Profile
History
Christians who smoke.
Posted : 15 Apr, 2009 07:24 AM

One more thing. It is not becoming of a Christian man to be so ego driven. Take your rebuke like a man of God walter. God calls us all to humble ourselves.

View Profile
History
Christians who smoke.
Posted : 15 Apr, 2009 12:17 PM

Gregory,

If your rebuke to me was Biblical that would be no problem...but it is not.

From the beginning you have attacked me personally instead of dealing with the real issue. It has been attack after attack both here on this thread and in my direct e-mail on this site. Is that the behavior of a spiritually mature Christian?

The reality Gregory, in my opinion, is that you didn't like the spiritual truth I properly presented and you were convicted by it and just plain don't like being told that what you are doing is a sin.

Now because of this you are without excuse before God. The question is...."are you going to effect a change in your lifestyle and do what is right before God and the Brethren?"

1Peter 1:15 but as He who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct,16 because it is written, "BE HOLY, FOR I AM HOLY." NKJV

2Peter 3:14 Therefore, beloved, looking forward to these things, be diligent to be found by Him in peace, without spot and blameless; NKJV

Grace to you!

In Christ,

Walter

View Profile
History
Christians who smoke.
Posted : 16 Apr, 2009 09:43 AM

i agree that christians should not smoke... however i do and it is a terrible habit to try and quit...like Jack VanImpe says, "nicotine is worse than heroin".. however..so is being obese a sin..so is divorce a sin...and i have been divorced two times, not on my doing, but have been thrown into sin because of my partners infidelity, too many people are quick to judge and CHRISTIAN PEOPLE WE HAVE ONLY ONE JUDGE AND THAT IS THE LORD THY GOD...look at your own sins.. do not be so quick to judge...get to know the person you never know you might be able to help them quit their smoking... they might quit their smoking to be with you.. maybe smoking is their crutch in life.. there is many other things that a person could be doing that are even worse for their souls... no i am not condoning smoking as i said i do smoke, however it is not a habit that is easy to quit and believe you me i am trying to quit.. not only for myself, but for my family... May the Good Lord Above watch over all of you and May God Bless all of you.....

Hisgirl

View Profile
History
Christians who smoke.
Posted : 16 Apr, 2009 06:44 PM

Thank you, GregorySt.

cedarwoody

View Profile
History
Christians who smoke.
Posted : 16 Apr, 2009 09:51 PM

Hey, excuse me Walter, who asked you anyway!!!!! What's your next soapbox?

Page : 1 2 3