Author Thread: Blessing of a Father
Admin

Blessing of a Father
Posted : 12 Jun, 2009 08:43 PM

Esau wept and cried �Hast thou but one blessing, my father? Bless me, even me also, O my father.� (Gen. 27:38)

Many children have never experienced the blessing of their fathers but in many cases, children experience the cursing of their fathers. We see the results of the cursing of fathers upon their children through the wasted, broken, and ruined lives of people in our societies. Many people have experienced the emotions of Esau when he discovered that his blessing had been stolen. Many cry out for blessings just as Esau. Many believe erroneously that positive statements building self esteem in their children is a good substitute. This of course can have very positive effects on children, but it does not answer the cry of the human soul for what has been ordained by God, blessings of a father.

First, the father carries very unique authority over the family. God created Adam and made him to be the head of the family (Gen. 3:16). The authority of fathers over the family is a God-ordained position (Eph. 5:23-24, Col. 3:18). It is no wonder that Jesus introduces us to the Heavenly Father who carries all authority in heaven and in earth. Even Jesus submits himself to the authority of the Heavenly Father. In similar manner, God has given the authority and headship of the family to fathers. This is so important in God�s divine economy that He says to fathers and husbands to love their wives as Christ loved the church and gave His life for it (Eph. 5:25, Col. 3:19). He says to fathers to be just and loving to their children so they be not provoked to anger and thereby be discouraged (Col. 3:21). In other words, be like Christ to their wives and be like the Heavenly Father to their children. In the soul of each child there is the need for a father to take authority and be like the Heavenly Father unto them. Until that is done, the soul of that child will cry out, �Bless me, even me also, O my father.�

Secondly, God knows the power of the spoken word for by His Word all things were spoken into existence (Heb. 11:3). Paul demonstrates the power of the spoken word by encouraging believers to let the words of Christ dwell in them (Col. 3:16) And so it is with earthly father�s words, they can make or break the lives of their families.

�But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison. Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing.� (James 3:8-10)

Therefore, the spoken word of fathers over their families carries unique power and authority. To similar extent even evil fathers carry the ability to bless for they know how to give good gifts to their children (Luke 11:13). The righteous father�s spoken words have great power in the spiritual realm (James 5:16). No wonder the writer in Proverbs 17:6 pen the words, ��the glory of children are their fathers.� In broken homes where there is no father, mothers can bless their children which can do much good, but it can never substitute for the unique father�s blessing. There is always something missing in the spirit of a child when the father�s blessing is not pronounced over his children. Whomever the child sees as their father will be the one that child longs to hear speaking into their lives and will be the father that will make a difference in the whole future of that child. And until it is spoken, the child will continue to cry longingly from its heart, �Bless me, even me also, O my father.�

Thirdly, there is also the ordained aspect in fathers of the laying on of the hands (Gen. 48:14, Lev. 8:12, Luke 4:40, Acts 6:6, 19:6, I Tim. 4:14, Heb. 6:2). Essentially, a father is standing in the behalf of God when he lays his hands upon his children. God is the ultimate authority but he designates fathers in families and ministers in churches to stand in their ordained positions to minister for Him by laying their hands on people. Along with this, there is the power of touch when fathers lay their hands or embrace their children. Not only is there a need in the soul of the child for the father to be the head of the family and take authority; not only is there in the soul of each child a longing to hear the father speak over them; but there is in each child a desire to be held in their father�s arms. Until that is done the soul of each child will call out, �Bless me, even me also, O my father.�

Many adults and children this Father�s Day will feel empty and unfulfilled because they have never had their father�s blessing. I believe it would be appropriate on Father�s Day for each father to use the power of their authority; use the power of touch by laying hands upon the heads of their children; and use the power of the spoken word to declare blessings upon their children. It doesn�t matter if the child or children are grown, the need in the soul of that child is still there. Maybe your father is not with you through death or distance (both physical and spiritual), let a pastor or minister that is a father declare over you a father�s blessing.