Author Thread: How do I help stop my BFF from drinking?
skylerangel

View Profile
History
How do I help stop my BFF from drinking?
Posted : 9 Jul, 2017 06:42 PM

Hello everyone. My best friend has a problem. He has been in and out of recovery centers since 2016. We became good friends last year and I have tried to be an encouragement and help in his recovery process. But, I caught him drinking the other day. He doesn't know I saw him, and I didn't say anything to him, because he was hiding it and I didn't want to start a argument with him. But I am worried that if I don't he will drink himself to death. I want to be there for him, since he has no friends and his family wants nothing to do with him. But I just can't sit here and watch him slowly kill himself. Does anyone have any suggestions?

View Profile
History
Posted : 9 Jul, 2017 08:03 PM

my suggestion is just pray and be a friend to him.beacause the more you guard her the morehe is craving it.so ask God to guide both of you then ask God to guide you on What to do with your bff.God will give you the message on his Way.you and your bff will find your way.just pray

View Profile
History
Posted : 14 Oct, 2017 03:46 PM

Dear Lady, I commend you for your desire to help your friend stop drinking... but his drinking, like so many other 'bad habits', is an avoidance technique... he wants to 'numb' the thoughts/feelings that are welling up within him... He most likely will not stop drinking until whatever it is that is motivating him to feel the need to 'numb' the sharpness of its presence - is properly dealt with...

GUILT... SORROW... REMORSE... REGRET... these are just a few of the things that move a person to drink, or do other such things...

If you are truly wanting to do as you say, you must first HONESTLY ACCEPT that it may not be something you can do - despite all your best efforts... I say this because if you invest/give so much of your 'SELF', in the effort to help him, it will most likely cause you deep pain when, and if, it does not move along, or perhaps, end, as you hope for...

Then you may find yourself carrying your own burden of GUILT... SORROW... REMORSE... REGRET...

Perhaps this is some sort of strange, crippling, spiritual 'genealogy' perpetrated by satan...

Oh if only HOPE... JOY... LAUGHTER... and PEACE... were so easily established in our hearts...

But we are all 'a work in progress'...

I suggest that you 'give your friend into the hands of our Loving Father'... spiritually 'place him upon the altar' - giving his well being fully over to God's caretaking...

For if we 'hold on' - then we are not fully, 'letting go'...

Love him... pray for him... speak 'good things of God's love, mercy, grace and forgiveness to him'... and trust that God will move the mountains that stand in his way, if only your friend will allow Him to do so... so yes, pray... it is the beginning of tremendous opportunities for change.