Author Thread: The Immaculate Beauty of Life and Death!
Admin

The Immaculate Beauty of Life and Death!
Posted : 4 Oct, 2009 09:29 PM

You know, it's not every day I get to experience something like this, and not every day that I'm experience such profound motions of feeling that I have today, so it is today that I must share.

I work as a nurse aid at an old folks home right outside of the small town I live in. Anyhow, there is a lady in the home who I took to right away. You see generaly when you work as a nurse aid the old folks like to take it upon themselves to try to intimidate the newbies such as my self. One such resident was a lady named Thelma.

I began work at this home back in December, and ever since day one, this lady has given me heck when ever she got the chance. To look at her, she was quite intimmidating. Her left eye was always shut on account that her eye had gone bad and shrivelled up. On top of this her cheeks began to sag in her late years, so she honestly looked a lot like the seer form the Jim Henson movie, Dark Crystal. For any of you who have seen this movie, I'm sure you know exactly what I'm talking about. :)

Anyhow, I'm not here to knock on the ladies physical features, as she was beautiful in my eyes.

I recall one day she was "barking me around" as she liked to put it, and I was at the time in the bathroom helping her to change her pants. She asked me why it was that I helped her all the time and was so nice to her when she is always so grouchy and was always ordering me around.

With a smile I replied it was because I absolutely loved to help her, that she reminded me of my self (because I too have been known to be a bit hard headed), and it was an honor.

To that she smiled, and thanked me a million times, and since then the thanks have never ceased. Her thanking me for being there for her, and my thanking her for being her.

Well as fate would have it, this woman, who had a Will of Iron and a Heart as light as a Feather had to pass on. A cold was in the air, and it seemed to have gotten the best of her.

For the past week she has been in bed sleeping, though occasionally she would wake up to eat what little food she would eat, or to respond a little when spoken to. One of the last concious moments I recall her having is when I leaned up to her ear to tell her how much I loved her, and I could see lips struggle into the shape of a smile, and faintly I could hear her say,"I love you too."

Well today was the day, I walked in to her room to check up on her and her daughter who was in the room, and Thelma exhaled her last breath as I held on to her hand.

I really don't lights, bells, or whistles for this story, I can't provide you with loud upbeat musick, or bikini clad post teens strutting there stuff on prime time tell-lie-vision. No my brothers and sisters, all I have to offer is the experience of gratitude and the tale that made me feel blessed to have known this wonderful lady, and to have been provided this awesome opportunity to have been there at her side during her moment of ascension...

...though I know in reality the Kingdom of Heaven lies within, it's still a beautiful play on words...

ascension.

Luke 17:21

I dunno, I don't have much else to share here, and I have no way of sharing the experience, but merely a means of writing the tale for those who can relate to relate to, and for those who have not, to seek out.

Tis a strange thing life and death. Tis a strange job. You'd think that after years and years of seeing people off that you would grow adjusted to death, and in a way I am. I see death as a friend. A friend of mystery and darkness no doubt, but a friend through and through. The equal counter part of God's great creation...

...life!

So for this life, and these visions into death I praise the Lord for such beauty, such mystery, and such inspiration that comes here and there between the thunder and the storms!!!

Linnie41

View Profile
History
Posted : 4 Oct, 2009 11:39 PM

This really touched me. Thank you so much for sharing it. You were both so blessed to have crossed each others paths. All I can say is, wow. I can only pray that if one of my loved ones is in need of a caregiver, they get someone like you.

Bless you -

Lynn

View Profile
History
Posted : 5 Oct, 2009 12:31 PM

Thank you much, I'm glad it reached you. :)