Author Thread: How do disabilities effect dating?
Admin

How do disabilities effect dating?
Posted : 13 Oct, 2009 01:02 PM

I have medical problems that cause extreme anxiety. I look unhappy and uncomfortable. I thought that might be the reason women avoid me, but I'm thinking that they can instinctually pick up on mentally illness and avoid men with it. The real problem that bugs me is I never know why I am rejected. I am good looking. Nice. I am to the point where I nearly do not care. Which is good.

Adam

View Profile
History
Posted : 18 Oct, 2009 12:20 PM

You can use your hobbies to find women.I use my humor and enough infoto get them interested.I like photography, railroading, and my cats.I volunteer at a cat rescue.I spend 3-4 hours a week picking up cat poop out of litterboxes.I also feed them and a few other things.Women like pets,ok.One of the ladies here said she visited your profile.You need to fill it out.Find ladies that you have a similar interst.

Now a couple od those wise crackers will say something about picking up cat terds.

Oh. I even pretending to be my cat on a post here giving advice on dating.A joke goes along way.The hits on my profile just went up pal.Take a lession.I am a clown.

View Profile
History
Posted : 19 Oct, 2009 10:20 AM

In regards to the anxiety thing...

...it gets easier with age, at least it did for me. Granted I still have my moments where my chest feels swelled up and I can't find the words, but over all it becomes easier with practice.

A personal practice I use is to force my self into situations that are uncomfortable, to challenge my self. Sometimes you got to take a leap and shake your self up.

Just never let anyone tell you that it is a disease, or something that you can not transcend. It is as Sevanna , a result of something or a series of things that happened to you in the past.

If anything it means you are sensitive, that you are not all hard, and therefore not totally detached and desensitized which is a good thing! It can become one of your greatest strengths, but at the same time be careful not to fall into self pity. I've done that too in my younger years, and I can say from experience that self pity is suicide in the end. Granted one has to take it easy on them selves, but when we begin to have a negative impact upon our own personal development...

...well then something is out of tune, and we need to push our selves, shake up the ego, and challenge our selves as I suggested above.

Other than that, remain stead fast in the Lord for it's as they say,"A woman's heart should be so lost in god that a man needs to seek him in order to find her."

You seek anything else than that, and you will end up making your personal situation worse, and more than likely enter into situations that will only result in more horrible experiences that will only re-enforce your current phobias and anxieties.

It's God's Natural Law, that's how things work. :)

View Profile
History
Posted : 19 Oct, 2009 02:57 PM

i work with people with mental and physical disabilitys, more often than not the physical disability gives the person a mental disability. "why would a person want to date me?" "how do i go on with my life?" "i cannot do it." its sad really because i have seen people who are crushed by a life long or new disability, you are as god made you, your gifts may change or they need to grow. but if you dont overcome, accept your disability you will not find or move towards goals in your life. and it will affect a relationship. depression, fear is not a way to live a life. you can do any thing, no one is ordinary, average joe. just over come and conquer it.

View Profile
History
Posted : 19 Oct, 2009 04:09 PM

I used to work in that same field.

I found my self relating to them more so than the "normals". :)

View Profile
History
Posted : 19 Oct, 2009 04:51 PM

On that note, I also wondered what a lot of those people would be like if they were not on all that medication that constantly messed with their minds, and of course had negative effects on their bodies.

And on that note...

...is it not sad how the world of Psychiatry suggests that EVERY freaking child on the planet just about has A.D.D., is Bi-Polar, and this and that? I know some people have a real physical issue that effects the way their mind functions, no doubt, but many if not most cases are lies generated to keep the kids sedate and in line, and of course the pharmaceutical companies and friends in business.

Sadly this lie helps perpetuates the anti-Christian anti-Buddhist aptitude that not all issues (sadness, anxiety, anger, etc.) can be resolved by finding their root and their source, merely they suggest that the problem is just the way a person was born, and that they need to stay jacked on such and such drug, and need such and such operation in order to remain as "normal" and functional as possible.

And I'll cut my rant short here, gotta run.

View Profile
History
Posted : 20 Oct, 2009 05:32 PM

true cattleman i was born with charcot marie tooth which is a type of muscular dystrophy. It runs in my family and leaves me aching quite a bit. I never thought of myself as disabled because i give it my all. Not all athletes are professional or good enough to become pro's but that doesn't make the any less. certainly in Gods eyes. We must remember the bible teaches He is not a respecter of persons, He sees us all the same big small strong week, it doesn't matter. so let us praise God for what we have.

God Bless

View Profile
History
Posted : 21 Oct, 2009 12:11 PM

Yeah, thanks for replying everyone. Medications hurt me so they are not an option.

I like what was said about how the way I see myself is a determining factor in how I relate to other people.

Right now I am hoping that the long term side effects from my old medication will be over around June of 2010.

I had a profile up but it got erased. I will put another one up.

Adam

View Profile
History
Posted : 21 Oct, 2009 12:32 PM

dear trual, welcome to the forums.. nice post also.

ole cattle

sdagirl86

View Profile
History
Posted : 27 Dec, 2009 01:58 PM

Amen.

Page : 1 2