Author Thread: Jesus & what his death gave us & was really like.
Admin

Jesus & what his death gave us & was really like.
Posted : 26 Oct, 2009 11:36 PM

Salvation, The Atonement Made by Jesus & It�s Benefits

GOD DESIRES ALL TO BE SAVED ( I, II )

I. 2 Peter 3:9 (KJV)

9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

Peter repeats this again in. The reason the Lord delays His second coming is to give mankind more opportunity to repent. This also makes a very clear statement about who the Lord wants saved. He wants everyone saved. He doesn't will for any to perish. This totally counters some theologians' doctrines about how only a few people are chosen by God for salvation and the vast majority are predestined to be damned.

Here is another very important point that this verse brings out. God's will doesn't always come to pass. That sounds like heresy to the extreme "sovereignty of God" people, but that is exactly what this verse is saying. The Lord doesn't control everything. God is all-powerful, but He doesn't choose to use His power in a way that denies our right to choose. It is not His will for anyone to perish, but people will perish. Why? Because of their choice, not God's.

Those who teach that nothing happens except what God wills are totally wrong. Those who teach that God allows things to happen are only correct in the sense that God gave mankind authority over this earth. So, God allows what we allow. Ultimately, it comes down to God not controlling or allowing a lot of things. The Lord has ultimate control and will bring all of His promises to pass. But we can, and certainly have, messed things up royally. And we can't blame that on God

�Andrew Wommack's Living Commentary

II. 1 Timothy 2:4-6 (KJV)

4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.

5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

6 Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.

1 Tim 2:4 Here are two crystal clear references that it is God's will for everyone to be saved. Yet that won't happen. Not because God doesn't will it but because we have a choice as to whether or not God's will comes to pass. God doesn't sovereignly control us. He has a plan for each of us, but we have to choose His plan. We can accept or reject His will.

Notice that Paul is saying that the Lord not only wants everyone saved but that they also come to the knowledge of the truth. This isn't only the truth about the forgiveness of their sins, but all truth. The Lord desires for Christians and non-Christians to know the truth, just as He desires them to be saved.

Life For Today Study Bible Notes

There is not one God for the Muslims, and one for the Hindus. There's not one God for the Jews and one for the Gentiles. Paul is stressing that though many people find different paths to Jesus, Jesus is the only path to God. Jesus said, "I am the way...no man cometh unto the Father, but by me". Jesus either deceived the people, or He was who He claimed to be--"the only way to the Father."

Hebrews 9:12 (KJV)

12 Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.

The emphasis here is that Jesus entered in ONCE into the holy place and has obtained ETERNAL REDEMPTION for us. Most Christians are ignorant of this. They think they only have partial redemption, lasting until the next time they sin. That is not true. Hebrews 9 is contrasting the temporary effect of the O.T. sacrifices with the permanent effect of Christ's sacrifice. We have eternal redemption.

This isn't only eternal redemption for the sins that we've already confessed and repented of. All of our sins, past, present, and even future tense sins, have been atoned for. This is the point being made in this chapter. The writer said we have been sanctified and perfected forever through the ONE offering of Christ, once for all.

Hebrews 7:27 (KJV)

27 Who needeth not daily, as those high priests, to offer up sacrifice, first for his own sins, and then for the people's: for this he did once, when he offered up himself.

But Jesus had no sin of His own. He bore our sins in His own body on the tree (1 Peter 2:24). And He only made that sacrifice once. He doesn't have to repeat His sacrifice every time we sin or every time a new person comes to accept His salvation. It was done once for all (Hebrews 9:12)�Andrew Wommack's Living Commentary

Hebrews 10:10 (KJV)

10 By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

If there was any doubt that the "once for all" was speaking of "once for all time" instead of "once for all people" then this verse should clarify the issue. This is the same context, and this verse is clearly stating that Jesus offered ONE sacrifice for sins FOR EVER�Andrew Wommack's Living Commentary

Hebrews 10:14 (KJV)

14 For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified.

What Jesus suffered

Psalms 22:6-8 (ASV)

6 But I am a worm, and no man; A reproach of men, and despised of the people.

7 All they that see Me laugh Me to scorn: They shoot out the lip, they shake the head, saying,

8 Commit thyself unto Jehovah; Let Him deliver him: Let him rescue him, seeing He delighteth in him.

Psalms 22:11-18 (ASV)

11 Be not far from Me; For trouble is near; For there is none to help.

12 Many bulls have compassed Me; Strong bulls of Bashan have beset Me round.

13 They gape upon Me with their mouth, As a ravening and a roaring lion.

14 I am poured out like water, And all My bones are out of joint: My heart is like wax; It is melted within Me.

15 My strength is dried up like a potsherd; And my tongue cleaves to My jaws; And Thou hast brought me into the dust of death.

16 For dogs have compassed me: A company of evil-doers have inclosed me; They pierced my hands and my feet.

17 I may count all my bones; They look and stare upon Me.

18 They part My garments among them, And upon My vesture do they cast lots.

In Isaiah 53:2 it says � He hath no form nor comeliness; and when we see Him, there is no beauty that we should desire Him� So He humbled Himself coming to Earth from His fabulous kingdom and throne in Heaven as an �ordinary� man. He did not even come as a perfect and beautiful specimen of a man. He humbled Himself and suffered the most horrible death � really beyond our imagination. He was so beaten beyond recognition and more than any other man has been: Isaiah 52:14 (ASV) 14 Like as many were astonished at Thee (His visage was so marred more than any man, and His form more than the sons of men), This means He did not even look human when they were finished with Him.

Philippians 2:8 (KJV)

8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

Luke 22:42-44 (KJV)

42 Saying, Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done.

43 And there appeared an angel unto him from heaven, strengthening him.

44 And being in an agony he prayed more earnestly: and his sweat was as it were great drops of blood falling down to the ground.

Isaiah 50:6 (KJV)

6 I gave my back to the smiters, and my cheeks to them that plucked off the hair: I hid not my face from shame and spitting.

Matthew 27:27-31 (KJV)

27 Then the soldiers of the governor took Jesus into the common hall, and gathered unto him the whole band of soldiers.

28 And they stripped him, and put on him a scarlet robe.

29 And when they had platted a crown of thorns, they put it upon his head, and a reed in his right hand: and they bowed the knee before him, and mocked him, saying, Hail, King of the Jews!

30 And they spit upon him, and took the reed, and smote him on the head.

31 And after that they had mocked him, they took the robe off from him, and put his own raiment on him, and led him away to crucify him.

Mark 15:15 (KJV)

15 And so Pilate, willing to content the people, released Barabbas unto them, and delivered Jesus, when he had scourged him, to be crucified.

Mark 15:17-19 (KJV)

17 And they clothed him with purple, and platted a crown of thorns, and put it about his head,

18 And began to salute him, Hail, King of the Jews!

19 And they smote him on the head with a reed, and did spit upon him, and bowing their knees worshipped him.

Mark 15:25 (KJV)

25 And it was the third hour, and they crucified him.

Luke 23:34 (KJV)

34 Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do. And they parted his raiment, and cast lots.

Mark 15:29-32 (KJV)

29 And they that passed by railed on him, wagging their heads, and saying, Ah, thou that destroyest the temple, and buildest it in three days,

30 Save thyself, and come down from the cross.

31 Likewise also the chief priests mocking said among themselves with the scribes, He saved others; himself he cannot save.

32 Let Christ the King of Israel descend now from the cross, that we may see and believe. And they that were crucified with him reviled him.

Benefits of the Atonement by Jesus

Galatians 3:13 (KJV)

13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:

The law brought a "blessing" if obeyed or a "curse" if disobeyed. ANY failure to obey the law brought on the curse (De :28:15). Therefore, EVERYONE was under the curse (v. 22) for all have sinned (Romans 3:23). But praise God, Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by bearing our curse for us. Now, through Christ, we will never receive any curse from God even though we all still disobey the law in some way�Andrew Wommack's Living Commentary

Isaiah 53:5 (KJV)

5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

He drew all of God's judgment to Himself and suffered it for us so that we would never be judged or rejected by God. Thank You, Jesus! The healing produced by Jesus bearing our stripes includes physical healing

Matthew 8:17 (KJV)

17 That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Esaias the prophet, saying, Himself took our infirmities, and bare our sicknesses.

1 Peter 2:24 (KJV)

24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

1 John 1:7 (KJV)

7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

1 John 1:9 (KJV)

9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

This begs the questions, "If forgiveness and cleansing are conditional on confessing our sins, what happens if we don't confess our sins? Are they not forgiven? And if they aren't forgiven, what are the consequences of that?" The strictest interpretation of this would lead to the belief that if there is any un-confessed sin in people's lives, they will not be forgiven. Although some have interpreted this verse to say just that, this certainly is not what this means.

The word "confess" was translated from the Greek word "HOMOLOGEO." This is a compound word made up of the Greek words "HOMOU" and "LOGOS." "HOMOU" means "the same place or time" (Strong's Concordance). "LOGOS" means "something said" (Strong's Concordance). So "HOMOLOGEO" essentially means "to say the same thing." When we sin, we are not saying, thinking, or doing the same thing as the Lord. But when we confess our sins, we are turning from our ways of thinking and agreeing with the Lord that what we have done is wrong.

1 John 2:2 (KJV)

2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.

Jesus is not only the "propitiation" for our sins (i.e., those who accept Him by faith), but also for the sins of the whole world. This means that even unbelievers' sins were paid for in the atonement of Christ (I Ti 4:10). What a radical truth. That means it's not our individual sins that will send a person to hell. Those sins have been paid for. It's the sin of rejecting Jesus that they will have to answer for.

View Profile
History
Jesus & what his death gave us & was really like.
Posted : 27 Oct, 2009 03:30 PM

dear 777, i agree that JESUS died for all men..

all that are willing to accept HIM as their personal SAVIOR.

THANK YOU JESUS!!

ole cattle