Author Thread: Firm, proper foundation
CeceliaRenea

View Profile
History
Firm, proper foundation
Posted : 1 Dec, 2009 10:51 PM

The bible says we are not to be unequally yolked, which I believe means a believe with a non-believer. But we do have free will, so the bible also instructs us that if we find ourselves married to a non-believer anyway, we are not to leave them, that through our example and God's light shining in us, they can be won over.

I only seek a christian so that at least we have a firm foundation to build on, we are both serving the same master, I just couldn't picture it any other way, and wouldn't want to!

View Profile
History
Firm, proper foundation
Posted : 2 Dec, 2009 02:52 PM

dear cecila, you are so right. build on a strong foundation..

the verses you are speaking of is paul saying i not the LORD says... if youre already married to a wife or a husband then dont leave them just because you are now a believer and they arent.. but its ok if they leave you..

but its speaking to those already married to a spouse when they find the LORD.. so we are not sposed to be looking for a spouse thats an unbeliever..

1 corinthians 7:12-16 12 But to the rest I, not the Lord, say: If any brother has a wife who does not believe, and she is willing to live with him, let him not divorce her. 13 And a woman who has a husband who does not believe, if he is willing to live with her, let her not divorce him. 14 For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband; otherwise your children would be unclean, but now they are holy. 15 But if the unbeliever departs, let him depart; a brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases. But God has called us to peace. 16 For how do you know, O wife, whether you will save your husband? Or how do you know, O husband, whether you will save your wife?

ole cattle

CeceliaRenea

View Profile
History
Firm, proper foundation
Posted : 2 Dec, 2009 08:57 PM

Yes, ole cattle, you are right, thank you for clarifying the scripture, I did not say God said it, I said the bible instructs us, had been awhile since I read that scripture, I believe it was my pastor at the time who said the un-believer could be won over, Praise God, happened in several instances in our church, furthermore it brings to light other reasons we should not be with a non-believer, i.e. we are God's temple, what business does light have with dark, etc. I simply cannot stomach a non-believer in a relationship.

God bless,

Cecelia Renea

View Profile
History
Firm, proper foundation
Posted : 2 Dec, 2009 11:17 PM

dear cecilia, right on..

ole cattle

View Profile
History
Firm, proper foundation
Posted : 2 Jan, 2010 08:07 AM

Hey Folks,

Not to get off point here (and some good one's have been made), but that verse brings up a point of when Divorce is allowed in God's Eyes.

"...But if the unbeliever departs, let him depart; a brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases. But God has called us to peace..."

It seems that if a Non-Believer wants "out" of a marriage, then we (Believers) are to give them a "Divorce Decree".

Something for those of you that will not "date" a divorced person to consider.

Peace

View Profile
History
Firm, proper foundation
Posted : 3 Jan, 2010 01:56 AM

I agree with those scriptures and stood on them throughout a 25 year marriage that kept going down hill. I was not serving God the whole time but I knew those scriptures and held on to them. When I did come back to the Lord the marriage really started going down hill, but the ex still wanted to stay. Once he found someone else then he was ready for it to be over. During that time I prayed for God to do what it would take do get to his heart and prepare me for the battles I would face because of it. God did prepare me in that I was able to handle the divorce in a Christian manner and have no ill feelings toward my ex and his girlfriend. That can only come through Christ's grace and mercy.

View Profile
History
Firm, proper foundation
Posted : 2 Feb, 2010 07:06 PM

I posted on the LDS portion of this. I really have a lot to say in this department. ALOT!

"Do not be unequelly yoked."

Don't. They were raised an entirely differnt way than you were. Even after 20 years of living in the world, a person of a culture will gravitate toward that place.

There are exceptions, but BE CAREFULL.

Col. 3:3-24 .