Author Thread: The thing you should know is...
Admin

The thing you should know is...
Posted : 21 Feb, 2010 10:39 AM

laying down your life for your country doesn't just mean physically dying. it means when you raise your right hand and take that oath and sign that piece of paper, your personal life and time come second to 'the mission', and you really have no business looking for a serious relationship because you can't make it work. if you don't like that then don't re-enlist and get out like i will be in less than two years. till then though that's something that will save you alot of frustration and time once you realize and accept this truth. doesn't mean you can't prepare for or keep an eye out for the right lady, but for the most part you'll have to let go of those hopes and expectations for now and just focus on developing and improving yourself. instead of getting a bachelors degree and having fun in college your defending freedom, building character, seeing the world, and growing up too quick. all the things that are cliches to anybody else is your life. don't resent or regret it. it really is an amazing, incredible, honorable, gutsy, selfless thing. embrace it. cherish and respect this realization, because you will be better for this time in your life where you served if you don't stop doing your best to be a good person and soldier, believe me. hang in there HOOAH!

View Profile
History
Posted : 21 Feb, 2010 10:44 AM

btw

View Profile
History
Posted : 21 Feb, 2010 10:46 AM

that's wierd it didn't say what i said after btw. here we go again:

btw having less than 2 years feels pretty good considering i started with a 6 year contract. ooowee!

View Profile
History
Posted : 22 Feb, 2010 07:24 AM

Remp,

If it were not for Men and Women like yourself...we would be speaking British or Japanese or German or French or...?!!?

You have learned a valuable lesson in Service tp your Country. That is LOVE! You know what the True meaning of LOVE is. What it means to be Willing to lay Your Life Down for a fellow Human Being. From this Sense...from this Realization, comes HONOR -- INTEGRITY -- LOYALTY -- DUTY.

These are not abstract concepts to you. These are things that have been Imbedded in your Heart. Seared into your Soul. When the time comes...you will react with ALL OF THOSE VIRTUES!...because they have been drilled into you by training and by the Love instilled in you by the comraderie of those around you.

You will stand out in a crowd. I call it "the fine line of Truth" in all that have served...that have been "Tested"...that have gone through the "Fire" of challenges and succeeded.

Thank you my Brother! I am Proud of you! My prayers go out to you and all of those that willingly walk into "harms way" in order to make this a better world for all.

God Bless You!

Steve

View Profile
History
Posted : 23 Feb, 2010 10:01 PM

YEAH.....WHAT STEVE SAID!!!

WOO-HOO!!!

:applause: :yay:

:) T

View Profile
History
Posted : 24 Feb, 2010 12:08 PM

What I said goes for all men and women that:

"Run towards danger in times of need...where there are those of us in Need. They place others above themselves and put their own lives on the line for others. They are the "first responders" the ones that go out first...without fail...without questioning...without any thought of "why me and why now?".

The things they do and the lives they touch...ripple out through Time and Space in ways that even they don't realize happens. Their efforts move out and touch many more lives than the ones they encounter.

I say GOD BLESS everyone of them!! I say GOD'S GRACES upon everyone of them!! I say HURRAH to everyone of them and I kiss each and everyone of them with my thanks and my everlasting gratitude.

You are truly Angels!!!

vkjewell

View Profile
History
Posted : 24 Feb, 2010 05:55 PM

A local sister sent me this today ~

Sack Lunches

I put my carry-on in the luggage compartment and sat down in my assigned seat. It was going to be a long flight. 'I'm glad I have a good book to read. Perhaps I will get a short nap,' I thought.

Just before take-off, a line of soldiers came down the aisle and filled all the vacant seats, totally surrounding me. I decided to start a conversation.

'Where are you headed?' I asked the soldier seated nearest to me.

'Petawawa. We'll be there for two weeks for special training, and then we're being deployed to Afghanistan

After flying for about an hour, an announcement was made that sack lunches were available for five dollars. It would be several hours before we reached the east, and I quickly decided a lunch would help pass the time...

As I reached for my wallet, I overheard a soldier ask his buddy if he planned to buy lunch. 'No, that seems like a lot of money for just a sack lunch. Probably wouldn't be worth five bucks. I'll wait till we get to base.' His friend agreed.

I looked around at the other soldiers. None were buying lunch. I walked to the back of the plane and handed the flight attendant a fifty dollar bill. 'Take a lunch to all those soldiers.' She grabbed my arms and squeezed tightly. Her eyes wet with tears, she thanked me. 'My son was a soldier in Iraq ; it's almost like you are doing it for him.'

Picking up ten sacks, she headed up the aisle to where the soldiers were seated. She stopped at my seat and asked, 'Which do you like best - beef or chicken?'

'Chicken,' I replied, wondering why she asked. She turned and went to the front of plane, returning a minute later with a dinner plate from first class. 'This is your thanks..'

After we finished eating, I went again to the back of the plane, heading for the rest room.

A man stopped me. 'I saw what you did. I want to be part of it. Here, take this.' He handed me twenty-five dollars.

Soon after I returned to my seat, I saw the Flight Captain coming down the aisle, looking at the aisle numbers as he walked, I hoped he was not looking for me, but noticed he was looking at the numbers only on my side of the plane. When he got to my row he stopped, smiled, held out his hand and said, 'I want to shake your hand.' Quickly unfastening my seatbelt I stood and took the Captain's hand. With a booming voice he said, 'I was a soldier and I was a military pilot. Once, someone bought me a lunch. It was an act of kindness I never forgot.' I was embarrassed when applause was heard from all of the passengers.

Later I walked to the front of the plane so I could stretch my legs. A man who was seated about six rows in front of me reached out his hand, wanting to shake mine. He left another twenty-five dollars in my palm.

When we landed I gathered my belongings and started to deplane. Waiting just inside the airplane door was a man who stopped me, put something in my shirt pocket, turned, and walked away without saying a word. Another twenty-five dollars!

Upon entering the terminal, I saw the soldiers gathering for their trip to the base.

I walked over to them and handed them seventy-five dollars. 'It will take you some time to reach the base.. It will be about time for a sandwich.

God Bless You.'

Ten young men left that flight feeling the love and respect of their fellow travelers.

As I walked briskly to my car, I whispered a prayer for their safe return. These soldiers were giving their all for our country. I could only give them a couple of meals. It seemed so little...

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Let us pray.... 'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen.'

Please share as you see fit

View Profile
History
Posted : 24 Feb, 2010 08:20 PM

Val, that is awesome! Thanks for sharing! (choking back tears because I don't want to cry in front of my coworkers)

USNAVY20

View Profile
History
Posted : 29 Mar, 2010 07:48 PM

that was really good

View Profile
History
Posted : 31 Mar, 2010 06:31 PM

First of all Thank you for serving this country. Because you do what you do I am able to do what I do. But as for a wife in the military it is possible. My brother and his wife who is currently serving are tributes to that fact. I also have quite a few friends who are wives/soon to be wives of military personale in my life. They are amazing women and yes it is a hard life, but if it is the right woman then it is possible. The problem who most women when it comes to the military they don't understand.

View Profile
History
Posted : 6 Apr, 2010 08:38 AM

I want to say thanks as well, remp. My ex was an MP in the army and we were stationed in Heidelberg, Germany for three years among other places. He was a peace-keeper in Bosnia, and I had the long agonizing wait of his 6 month tour. Had to hold down the the home-front while in a foreign land. Praying and hoping that he was alright.

God bless you for what you do!