Author Thread: Desperado, Love, and What it means to be human
Admin

Desperado, Love, and What it means to be human
Posted : 28 Jul, 2010 04:12 PM

I recently thought of and listened to the song Desperado by The Eagles because it's about what happens when we forget that as humans we need to love ourselves, love other people, let other people love us, and by extension of my own Christian faith to love God and let God love us. And what happens when we reject love and what it means to be human, because who wants to be human? Who wants to acknowledge and accept that we have this need and that we aren't independent, and self-sustaining, and well anything less than perfect. When this happens we get bitter, mean, abrasive, closed off and emotionless it happens slowly and a little more weight gets added each day. And no it does not build inner-strength, it destroys it. A lot of time has gone by where I've been like this, because of the aforementioned. Yeah I'm talking about me, but maybe I'm talking about you too. I don't know. If anyone else out there can relate, but I hope it helps. If you are a desperado, it's pretty haunting, isn't it?

Desperado, why don't you come to your senses? ;You been out ridin' fences for so long now ; Oh, you're a hard one ; I know that you got your reasons; These things that are pleasin' you ; Can hurt you somehow;Don't you draw the queen of diamonds, boy ; She'll beat you if she's able ; You know the queen of hearts is always your best bet; Now it seems to me, some fine things; Have been laid upon your table; But you only want the ones that you can't get; Desperado, oh, you ain't gettin' no younger; Your pain and your hunger, they're drivin' you home; And freedom, oh freedom well, that's just some people talkin'; Your prison is walking through this world all alone; Don't your feet get cold in the winter time?; The sky won't snow and the sun won't shine; It's hard to tell the night time from the day; You're losin' all your highs and lows; Ain't it funny how the feeling goes away?; Desperado, why don't you come to your senses?; Come down from your fences, open the gate; It may be rainin', but there's a rainbow above you; You better let somebody love you, before it's too late

View Profile
History
Posted : 28 Jul, 2010 10:09 PM

This may not be exactly where you were going with your post, but the lyrics to the song and what you said made me think about some things that were going on in my own life.

The line that gets me the most is "your prison is walking through this world all alone." For me, it's hard to rely on other people, and I tend to push people away when I need them the most. I don�t like to ask for help. I have this desire to be independent, and I think that I don�t need anybody. It sure leads to a lonely life...

I believe I often place too high expectations on people, and then when they don�t measure up I�m discouraged. Fortunately, my God will always measure up. He�s the only friend who will always be there for me and the only one who can possibly fulfill all my needs.

I want to be more open and allow people into my life, flaws and all. I need to accept other people as they are and be grateful for what they can offer me. I have to stop longing for what I don�t have.

View Profile
History
Posted : 29 Jul, 2010 03:44 PM

No you're good. That's what I was going for or getting at.