Author Thread: The Shack
AGAPEAMBASSADOR86

View Profile
History
The Shack
Posted : 2 Nov, 2010 09:10 AM

A must read for all. I urge u to be open no matter what u r going thru this will definitely open your heart to higher heights and deeper depths in the LORD GOD. The first two to three chapters are a bit dry but its last a breakthrough. I I seriously hold this book second to my LOVE "THE BIBLE" :hearts:

Read it and let me know what u think. I will gladly reply to any and all Thanks. May GOD keep u in his everlasting grace and mercy.

Sincerely,

AGAPEAMBASSADOR86:peace:

Tulip89

View Profile
History
The Shack
Posted : 2 Nov, 2010 11:22 AM

It's full of theological inaccuracies and liberties being taken with scripture. Tim Challies has the best breakdown of it that I've read so far. Here's a link: http://www.challies.com/articles/the-shack-by-william-p-young

To summarize in the words of Mark Driscoll, if you haven't read "The Shack," don't!

AGAPEAMBASSADOR86

View Profile
History
The Shack
Posted : 2 Nov, 2010 07:06 PM

Tsk... Tsk... Oh ye of little understanding. It requires spiritual discernment I throw theology to the wind not saying that its not useful at times but its not a governing factor in my spiritual walk. The Triune GOD is where i get my guidance and understanding so u and ur theologians can join the Pharisees and shut up on this one. Wisdom is given by GOD James 1:5. Im not mad at the least bit Im actually very happy this was one of the first replies. His review isnt accurate,

" There are other teachings about the Trinity that concerned me. For example, Papa says �I am truly human, in Jesus.� This simply cannot be true. God [the Father�a term that the author avoids] is not fully human in Jesus. This melds the two persons of God in a way that is simply unbiblical."

He avoids the term "the Father" because spiritually GOD is neither male nor female "IAM THE GREAT IAM". Triune 3 seperate yet united as one(GOD-The Father, GOD- The Son, and GOD- The Holy Spirit). GOD is omnipresent therefore in and through his son he is fully human and yet still spiritual. He is the The Great IAM. There are limitations to the human mind but that is where the Holy Spirit intervenes and shuns light on the situation. Take marriage for example: When are married and through the act of consumation that couple in the eyes of GOD is seen as one. Now this isn't a physical sense but a spiritual joining of the two as one. That also transpires into the subject unequally yoked which is another subject but back to the matter at hand. Come on now u gotta come with something better than that to negate this book.:nahnah:

Tulip89

View Profile
History
The Shack
Posted : 2 Nov, 2010 09:19 PM

What more do you want other than scripture and doctrine? Divine appearance?

"The Shack" was full of quotes about how God doesn't punish sin, that he doesn't care what religion people are, that nobody is going to Hell, and all kinds of other new age-y stuff that isn't supported by scripture. It even said that sticking to scripture was putting God in a box.

It says in Isaiah 8:20, "if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them." Since "The Shack" is not in line with Scripture, there is no light in it, and it can't be trusted.

AGAPEAMBASSADOR86

View Profile
History
The Shack
Posted : 3 Nov, 2010 12:13 AM

What more do u want... Are u serious:ROFL: !!!!! Hold on let me compose myself....Ok let me start with this your immaturity shows with this last post. Dont take this in a negative way I only mean to encourage and inform you of lack thereof so u can pray about it because i will definitely pray for u:prayingf:. Now on to the matter at hand :eat:.... "What more do you want other than scripture and doctrine? Divine appearance?" that took the cake. So u limit yourself and in turn put limitations on GOD in your life by not expecting the most and best from GOD. ASK, SEEK, KNOCK Matt 7:7-8(fimilairize yourself with it) I want everything GOD has to offer me and if divine appearance is available I will take it how it comes. My GOD is omnipotent I dont put boundaries on what HE is capable of. Is your life story wrote in the scripture... so why would u just limit GOD to that when HE has so much more to offer. Please back up your statements with quotations or its just hear say. Isa 8:20 is true no doubt but contrary to your belief "THE SHACK" sheds light on many aspects of GOD; JEHOVAH ELOHIM(indicating the Triune God); JEHOVAH JIREH(all his needs where supplied while going through his ordeal); JEHOVAH ROPHE(he was healed emotionally and spiritually); JEHOVAH ROHI(he was comforted with many hugs);JEHOVAH SHALOM(in the end he received peace). GOD has many ways of making himself known to his people. My father is a pastor and my mother is a prophetess trust my eyes have seen signs and wonders in my time. I dare not put limitations on MY GOD!!!!!:bow:

Read the beginning of your post again and ask yourself what is FAITH, the effectiveness, and so on.....DIG DEEP!!!!!!

May GOD grant u wisdom in all your future endeavors, GOD BLESS YOU!!!!:peace:

Tulip89

View Profile
History
The Shack
Posted : 3 Nov, 2010 07:08 AM

You may label it immaturity, but I take it seriously when someone claims that scripture does not have enough authority on its own to convince them when they are wrong. God is omnipotent, but what point is there in demanding signs and wonders when the Truth we need is already right before us in the Bible?

Honestly, it should have been enough for you to toss the book when you got to this gem on page 182:

"Those who love me come from every system that exists. They were Buddhists or Mormons, Baptists or Muslims, Democrats, Republicans and many who don�t vote or are not part of any Sunday morning or religious institutions. ... I have no desire to make them Christian."

Compare that to 1 John 2:23, "No one who denies the Son has the Father. Whoever confesses the Son has the Father also," or John 14:6, "Jesus said to him, �I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

Please do not be so foolish as to elevate the words of a man over the Word of God. These other religions do not confess the Deity of Christ, and following the words of Christ himself, they do not have the Father.

God cannot be truly put in a box, but he IS bound by his his Word. This author has no concern with writing about the Biblical God, so I beg you, please step away from this book. It is a dangerous, New Age reinterpretation of God.

AGAPEAMBASSADOR86

View Profile
History
The Shack
Posted : 3 Nov, 2010 01:38 PM

:applause: Nice effort but u miss the mark yet again.

No one said anything about demanding signs and wonders revert back to previous post.

Remember we all WERE sinners and we COME from different systems that exist but through Christ we are redeemed. Im not saying that Muslims or Buddhists are going to heaven but what I am saying is that conversion doesnt mean u have to LABEL yourself as a Christian. Dont deny Christ before man and HE wont deny you before HIS FATHER which is in heaven. Since u take passages from 1 John i ask u to take note of the latter text

1 John 3:18- the end of 1 John. There u will find pretty much all u need to know concerning this book.

Iam not elevating man's word over the WORD of GOD thats the farthest thing from what Im doing. Let me ask u this, Have u ever had an experience in life that allowed u to see GOD in a different light... your personal experience isnt written the BIBLE yet its as helpful to u as reading a passage out of the BIBLE. All our life experiences undoubtly shape who we are today The BIBLE is there to assist us along the way Its GOD's undying WORD, but its not the ONLY tool GOD has given us.

Eph 6:10-18 "The Armor of God"

2 Tim 2:15 "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."

A few scriptures that should help you in your walk with Christ. GOD BLESS!!!!:peace:

AGAPEAMBASSADOR86

View Profile
History
The Shack
Posted : 3 Nov, 2010 01:44 PM

Oh yeah how can witness about HIM if you speak of Him in Biblical terms. My GOD is the GOD that WAS, IS, ans IS TO COME!!!! PAST, PRESENT, AND FUTURE!!!!!!!:party::bow:

Tulip89

View Profile
History
The Shack
Posted : 3 Nov, 2010 04:02 PM

God is not changing. He is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow. The God in the Bible is the same God of today, and will be the same tomorrow. My personal experience is proof that I can trust God to continue to be who he says he is in the Bible. God is never going to reveal himself in any way that does not line up with Scripture.

On page 225 it says, "In Jesus, I have forgiven all humans for their sins against me." That again is false. Never mind on page 205 where it says that you won't find responsibility in the Scriptures, well other than the 13 times it's mentioned in the NIV. James 4:7 says that we are to submit to God, but we see the god of "The Shack" submitting to man. And if evil doesn't actually exist, as it says on 136, then what are we supposed to do with Satan? Evil does exist. On 95, god (or really, mother), had crucifixion scars. Modalism is biblically false.

I find it interesting that you brought up 1 John 3, since 1 John 3:25 says that whoever keeps God's commandments abides in God, and God in him. So much of The Shack is about how God doesn't tell people what to do or have expectations. We can just do whatever we want, and we'll never disappoint him, even if we live lives diametrically opposed to what He commands and do not love him.

I know it made you feel good to read, but please see that there are too many lies in that book for it to be trusted.

Back to your point about people not having to call themselves Christians, that might be believable, except that the line is followed up by jesus saying he wants to join those people in their transformation. He makes Christianity out to be some sort of self-help course.

In interviews, Young denies the substitutionary atonement of Christ, the very act that the Gospel and the Christian Faith hinge on. I know this book made you feel good, but feelings are only useful when they follow Truth. I'm sorry, but I just can't support people reading a book from a man who doesn't believe that Jesus died for our sins.

AGAPEAMBASSADOR86

View Profile
History
The Shack
Posted : 4 Nov, 2010 01:09 AM

Forgive me, I must stop this debate. I have went against my own beliefs and allowed myself to debate argue different views of the WORD. You have come with a prejudice against the author and u are entitled to feel how u want to. My concern was not with the author really i couldnt care less who wrote the book my concern was the effects of the content on the reader. The BIBLE is and shall be the #1 manual on the living the way GOD intended for us to live until the return of Jesus Christ. This debate isnt benefical to the Body of Christ in many ways it could turn out to be divisive so to avoid the latter I bow out gracefully.

GOD BLESS

View Profile
History
The Shack
Posted : 4 Sep, 2011 05:05 PM

i loved this book as it was a wonderfully harmonic blend of both canon/gnostic theologies....

Page : 1 2