Author Thread: How do we reach the rich?
Tulip89

View Profile
History
How do we reach the rich?
Posted : 9 Nov, 2010 02:23 PM

Evangelism to the poor is, and has been, so very popular. Churches love to send missions teams to Asia, Africa, India, and South America, and the vast majority of churches have homeless ministries, most likely because it's easy to see the needs of the poor and oppressed.

But what about the rich? Where are the missions teams that go to Europe? How can we send team after team after team to third world countries where Christianity is on the rise when Christianity is so rapidly declining in Western Europe? Because it's easier to raise money? Because we want to look like we're making a bigger sacrifice? The great churches and cathedrals of old now sit empty, like mausoleums of Western European Christianity.

Is it just that it's too hard to do missions work in France? Do we assume that because they have THINGS that they couldn't possibly have any use for Jesus? Do we think that people who have fewer things are more deserving of salvation?

What about closer to home? The wealthy have churches vying for their tithes, often being deceived by the Prosperity "gospel." But where are the people who are actively and boldly going out to them and preaching CHRIST? It is easy to be deceived by wealth, and it would take men of great faith to do this, but what if we had just as many people in the Church saying, "I'm going to do long term missions among the lawyers of Atlanta," as were saying, "I'm going to South Africa for two years,"?

If it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of God, then how much more do those men and women need to hear the Gospel?

Should this be justification to pursue wealth and privilege over where you hear God calling you? Of course not. But perhaps we should rethink what our missions strategy is. A businessman living in a country club and a homeless man living on the street both still need the exact same thing: Jesus. Who are we to decide which one gets to hear the Gospel?

View Profile
History
Posted : 9 Nov, 2010 03:29 PM

I think it is much harder to access the rich.

When my church used to be big on blitzing neighborhoods knocking door to door, we got alot of doors to the face, but there were a couple that seemed genuinely interested in learning about Jesus. Only a couple out of 5 or so, but they're worth it. Then people have to put up "No Soliciting" signs and now I can't reach them unless I find an opportunity at work or extracurricular activities (which are mainly at church, oh well). The poor do not have the "No soliciting" problems - they want solicitors if it means they will get some change or assistance.

Plus being poor for most is like a bottom-of-the-barrel feeling - and it's easier to look up to God from there than your own money pedestal.

Good question though. Perhaps we should put our visitation team members on assignment as members of various clubs around town so we can create more opportunities to witness. Undercover work - duh duh dun! I wanna pick my cool name!

View Profile
History
Posted : 9 Nov, 2010 04:40 PM

Annual Financial Statement for SSM (Silver Spoon Ministries )

Easy Street Country Club membership-----24,000

Hitem to Heaven Golf clubs-------------------3,750

On Eagels Wings Jet rental/fuel---------------145,000

Dressed 2b Saved Clothing- --------------------26,000

Sea of Galiliee Yacht Club membership-------36,000

Monthly Catering /feeding the rich program-60,000

Hmmm ....I am beginning to see why. SSM is not a reality ; it must be the ' return on investment' is much higher reaching the poor ; 25 poor souls saved. Per 1000 dollars , opposed to. 025 rich souls saved per 1000 dollars.

*changing SSM (Silver Spoon Ministries )*

To

*SSM (Shoe String Ministries )*

Tulip89

View Profile
History
Posted : 9 Nov, 2010 07:17 PM

So the poor are more deserving of salvation because the Church doesn't have to get creative to do outreach?

View Profile
History
Posted : 9 Nov, 2010 07:52 PM

I wouldn't say more deserving, just easier to witness to. The two upper-class people I've had opportunities to witness to both shut me down pretty quick - though she said she has a son that was asking questions about church lately, so I grabbed it from that angle - she never brought him. It just seems like they've got it all figured out and don't wanna listen. The poor exude the opposite. They don't have it figured out and want help. So I guess I'm saying that if I had a rich and a poor person in front of me, I would witness to the poor person first because they seem like they'll take to it better. I know - the rich guy needs Jesus too! my church's youth group did a beach mission - they walked up and down miles of beach on day a couple summers ago and witnessed to each person they could. That might make it easier to reach them - you don't have to imagine anyone naked to get rid of stagefright, they're already almost already naked!

View Profile
History
Posted : 9 Nov, 2010 08:37 PM

Luke 4:18 � The Spirit of the LORD is upon Me, Because He has anointed MeTo preach the gospel to the POOR;He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted, To proclaim liberty to the captivesAnd recovery of sight to the blind,To set at liberty those who are oppressed;

Matthew 11:5 The blind see and the lame walk; the lepers are cleansed and the deaf hear; the dead are raised up and the POOR have the gospel preached to them.

No where in the bible does it say preach to the rich...

But I totally agree the ricjh need the gospel to! But how many times did someone get savd when they were on top of life? Most people have to be broken of their pride to RECIEVE savation (not accept Jesus!! God never ask man to accept Him) And the rich are the most pride fill, arrogant people on the face of the earth, so it is very rare to see a rich person get saved.

Tulip89

View Profile
History
Posted : 9 Nov, 2010 08:39 PM

John Eliot learned the Algonquin language at the age of 40 because he believed that since God had said he had a people of every tribe and tongue, that if he went to them, God would be faithful. Some of the words in the Algonquin language have more letters in them than we have letters in the alphabet. He then translated the Bible into Algonquin and published it so that they could have the Word to read. Before they were destroyed in King Philip's War, there were 14 villages-worth of Christian Indians in his area of Massachusetts.

There were plenty of people witnessing to the English speaking people in the Colonies. After all, that was what was easy. Europe can be redeemed from apathy, Atheism, and Islam, but in order for that to happen, we have to go.

View Profile
History
Posted : 9 Nov, 2010 08:44 PM

Then GO!!! What are you waitin on? You will have my prayers supporting you! And if my church puts you on their missions support, I'll support your European missions!

Tulip89

View Profile
History
Posted : 9 Nov, 2010 10:13 PM

I've already gone twice. I especially have a heart for Ireland. I would love to go back permanently. It's just a question of whether God wants me to go to seminary and move over as a pastor or to use my business degree I'm getting to go over as a business person.

Alternatively I might just fly over whenever I can and go all Charles Spurgeon in their streets!

View Profile
History
Posted : 10 Nov, 2010 11:14 AM

@tulip:

Tulip/twolip/toolip, hahahaha

In Phila.we called the seminary the cemetary,seeing you went in alive and came out with dead orthodoxy and traditions..

Mark 10:24 And the disciples were astonished at his words. But Jesus answereth again, and saith unto them, Children, how hard is it for them that trust in riches to enter into the kingdom of God!

Yeshua did not say that it was impossible for the rich to enter.

Yet the rich have their god in their back pockets and purses..

Do not be intimidated by what they have here,for we have riches far more abundantly with Yeshua.

Share the Real Gospel,not the health and wealth fluffy make you feel good about going into judgement nonsense...

Pray for them,and do not think that we are any better than they are just because Yeshua has saved us.

Grace runs down hill and there is level groung at the cross.

Serve whenever possible,and always share with the rich that they cannot take the riches with them...

Agape' and Charis:

St.George

ps;

Read Alexander Strauchs book:

Biblical Eldership.

Watchman Nees:

The Spiritual Man

The Normal Christian Life

T.Norton Sterret:

How To Understand Your Bible.

These might be more profitable then going to the loca Cemetary...hahahahahahaha

View Profile
History
Posted : 10 Nov, 2010 12:37 PM

Who are the rich? Here is a bit of information that may help know who the rich are.

If you have ANY money in your pocket does not matter how much, if you have ANY money in the bank no matter how much, if you have ANY money in a change bank or on on your dresser, bowl, plate or whatever you store it in, it DOES NOT mater how much. YOU are in the TOP 8% richest people in the world!

I think we already evangilize the rich in this country...the problem is the REAL Christians do NOT stand up to discredit the false prosperity teachers! It is easy to sell a gospel of greed to EVRYONE!!!

Page : 1 2