Author Thread: How do you deal with movies that infringe CHristian moral standards?
Admin

How do you deal with movies that infringe CHristian moral standards?
Posted : 25 Aug, 2008 03:07 AM

I'm just curious what people here think.

I used to be laissez faire, but I more and more have difficulty with the fact that every movie I see pretty much has sex before marriage and violence which kind of violates the "turn the other cheek" principle.

Is there anyone else here who likes movies, but is increasingly feeling that they contradict one's own principles?

Revelation22

View Profile
History
Posted : 25 Aug, 2008 03:23 AM

I do ! You're right diak ! Most movies are definitely Worldly !

If we don't want to see that stuff on the screen; Guess we'll have to stick to cartoons-------- but they're Violent too:excited:

We just have to be very selective in what we watch. Our pickins' are gettin' slimmer by the day !

God Bless You, Brother

:rocknroll: revelation22

mandaj1515

View Profile
History
Posted : 28 Aug, 2008 02:58 PM

Yes, unfortunately, there are a lot of un-Christian movies out there. A few good ones that I like are Facing the Giants, and the Love Comes Softly series. Facing the Giants is definitely one of my all time favorites and is so inspiring.

View Profile
History
Posted : 3 Sep, 2008 11:48 AM

Probably one of my all time favorites is "A Walk to Remember"....You'r so right, though. It's getting harder and harder to see a movie that is somewhat decent with a good plot....

Robin

Kaos81

View Profile
History
Posted : 28 Nov, 2008 09:32 PM

It's an interesting question - I guess I believe we have a responsibility to understand the world as it is today, and face the moral issues that are raised rather than avoiding them. After all, our God and the faith He has given us is a lot more powerful than anything this world can throw at it. Obviously if a person is going to be tempted by a film then yes, they shouldn't see it. And if it would lead someone else to be tempted, again, it's a no go. But otherwise... I think it's important to let yourself be challenged by other viewpoints, and learn more about our awesome God through it.

View Profile
History
Posted : 17 Jan, 2009 10:29 AM

I review a Christian movie review site before I make a decision about seeing any movie. It gives information on: violence, drugs/alcohol, sexual content, spiritual content, negative content, etc. Based on that, I decide if it's a movie I would feel comfortable viewing as a Christian. I also try and ponder the question, "If Jesus was sitting next to me (visibly) in the movie theater (or home) would I be comfortable watching this movie." Pondering that question makes my decision of 'no' in a great majority of movies and I'm fine with that. But there are some 'clean' movies still out there that are not cartoons. :glow:

If you are interested in the Christian site that reviews ALL movies, DVD, and tv programs (a great site!), you can see look them up at: http://www.pluggedinonline.com

(It's From Dr. James Dobson's ministry and webiste www.family.org then the 'entertainment' tab)

Be blessed!

View Profile
History
Posted : 3 Apr, 2009 08:12 PM

Yes, Plugged In Online is awesome for good movie reviews. Their reviews are sometimes almost too detailed in detailing the bad, but it definitely helps when deciding what to watch.

View Profile
History
Posted : 1 May, 2009 04:57 PM

I think i have a very differnet view about films than alot of people do here. I am a huge movie buff. I have seen alot of movies in my life and believe that it is possible to gain some insight on human existance, and the world around us from these films. We need to remember that we all come from the same God, each made in his imange, each and everyone of us beautiful in our own way. We should see people and see God like he did to so many other people different from him. If we do that it really doesn't matter what we see.

View Profile
History
Posted : 12 May, 2009 05:53 PM

There's to many non-Christians making movies and using that power against us. In movies like Doubt, V for Vandetta and such. They always look at our past but never the past of the "enemy"?