Author Thread
SunshineAllie

View Profile
"Secular" music
Posted : 4 Nov, 2016 11:44 AM

I think it depends where you draw the line of what's christian music and what's secular music, because I think secular music made by Christians can be a wonderful tool.

There's a lot of people out there that are put off by christian music and I really believe that God inspires musicians to try and reach these people. I've experienced it myself in school when people found out that some of the songs I like are from christian bands. You could see them get uncomfortable and just try to brush it off that it's not their kind of music. Then it feels like they put up this wall and don't want to talk about it anymore with me. But I've had better luck sharing music with them that are made by Christians but are much more subtle about it in their songs. And then after we become music friends, it gives me an opportunity later to mention that the songs they like were created by Christians who believe in God.

So I'm grateful God inspired these artists and bands to help people that don't believe in him yet. I wish I was good at converting nonbelievers but in the mean time I try to use this music to eventually show them that what they're missing in life is God and the music that's helping them can only ease the symptoms but not fill the gap for which God can cure.

I'm not sure how I feel about non secular artists but I kind of agree with ProverbialTrigger that if it helps people and turns people away from sinful things then its not necessarily a bad thing.