Author Thread
OceanGypsy

View Profile
some of my favorite movies..
Posted : 8 Sep, 2010 06:07 PM

I forgot to mention Pan's Labyrinth. A beautiful and stunning movie, although very harsh and violent. I love all the references to Greek mythology in that film. I'm kind of a mythology buff and I loved the references, like when Ofelia fed the stones to the toad and he regurgitated the key. That was similar to when Rhea fed the stones to Cronos and he regurgitated....something else. :laugh:

I know, I am such a nerd.

OceanGypsy

View Profile
Posted : 21 Jul, 2010 11:15 AM

Oh, and I forgot Who Framed Roger Rabbit? That is one messed up kids movie. :laugh:

OceanGypsy

View Profile
Posted : 21 Jul, 2010 10:10 AM

I have a very broad taste in movies and I'm sure that some movies in my collection are a bit strange. :laugh:

-Gone With The Wind (my all-time favorite movie)

-The Wizard Of Oz

-Return To Oz

-Titanic

-The Star Wars movies

-Edward Scissorhands

-Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas

-Big Fish

-Beetlejuice

-Ed Wood

-Alice In Wonderland (both the animated version from the 50s and the new Tim Burton movie)

-Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

-Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

-Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

-Sleepy Hollow (can you tell I'm a Tim Burton and Johnny Depp fan? :laugh:)

-Finding Neverland

-The Pirates of the Caribbean movies

-The Phantom of the Opera (2004)

-Moulin Rouge

-Across The Universe (I'm a huge Beatles fan, so that's a given)

-O Brother, Where Art Thou?

-American History X

-Trainspotting

-Ghost World

-Garden State

-Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

-The Matrix

-Terminator 2: Judgment Day

-V For Vendetta

-The Back To The Future Trilogy

-The Wedding Singer

-Ever After

-Animated Disney movies such as Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King, and Cinderella.

I'm sure there's a lot more, but I can't think of any.

There are a couple of movies in my list that have a lot of bad language and sexual content (like American History X and Trainspotting) but I like AHX because it deals with racism in a realistic way and shows how despicable it is, and Trainspotting because it shows a realistic view of heroin addiction. It makes you never want to touch the stuff, not that I ever had any desire to anyway. And in both of these movies, the characters redeem themselves after committing these horrible and sinful acts.

OceanGypsy

View Profile
Leann Rimes - Ten Thousand Angels Cried
Posted : 21 Jul, 2010 09:46 AM

Has anyone heard this song? If you haven't, you should really listen to it...it's so beautiful. Personally, I'm not a crier, but this song brings me to tears every time I listen to it. They're tears of sorrow, but they're also tears of joy because whenever I listen to it it makes me realize the pain and suffering that Christ went through to save us. The magnitude of His love brings me to tears.

And I don't even like country music. :laugh:

OceanGypsy

View Profile
He hates the church
Posted : 18 Jul, 2010 10:56 AM

I know this topic is old, but I just want to put in my two cents. My mother is one of those people that feels uncomfortable in church because she was badly burned before. My parents split when I was three-years-old and she started seeing this man who practically lived with us. He had his own house and everything, but he was at our place most of the time.

I remember when I was little, my mom would go to church and I would always be in Sunday school, but all of a sudden she stopped going out of the blue and hasn't been back since. When I was older, I finally asked her why she stopped going, and she told me it was because the minister's wife took her aside after the service and told her that she was no longer welcome in their church because she was living with a man in sin. Either this woman thought that she was without sin at all (so I guess it would be alright if she randomly started chucking stones at people) or that having physical relations with a man out of wedlock is so heinous a crime in the eyes of God that you would no longer be welcomed into His house. What makes that sin worse than others, I have no idea. Because of this, my mother has always struggled with her faith.

She is very happy that I regularly attend church and have embraced the Lord and His teachings so she still has faith in our Father, but she is afraid of going to church in the fear that she will be condemned. I attend church because it helps me understand God better and I feel it makes me a better person. Then again I go to a very small and intimate church and it seems that my church is more interested in helping out the community rather than making money. My church is by no means perfect, but it's the best I've gone to.

I don't really have advice for Christians who don't attend services. I feel as long as they love God and use His teachings in their life, then they know the true love of Christ and what His blood has given us and it will lead them to their salvation. I don't think God keeps tabs on our church attendance and He won't let people in to His kingdom unless we've reached the quota. If we love and embrace Christ with our hearts and souls, that's what really matters.

Well, there it is....my two cents. No refunds. :nahnah:

OceanGypsy

View Profile
Fat? Oh no you didn't!!??
Posted : 16 Jul, 2010 10:13 PM

I personally am disturbed by the whole weight viewpoint that some people have, no thanks to the media. I used to be rail-thin in high school...and now that I'm pushing 30, I've gained a little. I'm slightly overweight now, but I'm working on it and eating better.

Fat, thin...whatever. Everyone is beautiful, especially in the eyes of God. I find it rather unnerving that the actresses and models of today are like walking sticks, and the media tells us that this is beauty. Just look at the super market tabloids of all the celebrities who have gained weight plastered all over the front page, with the headlines obviously portraying negative viewpoints about their appearance. I guess this helps to make "normal people" feel better about themselves, but I find it revolting.

Just look at the 1950's, where Marilyn Monroe dominated over Hollywood. Men adored her and she was the biggest "sex symbol" of the time, and she wasn't exactly skinny. Even the fashion models of that time were more full-figured, and they actually had curves and they didn't look like sticks of bamboo with fake smiles plastered all over their faces. Even back a few hundred years ago, full-figured women were considered more attractive because they looked healthier.

Well, I'm done ranting. :laugh:

OceanGypsy

View Profile
If you could live in any time era what would it be and why?
Posted : 29 May, 2010 03:45 PM

Probably the Roaring 20s (I love the fashions and music from that era) or even the 40s or 50s. Life seemed much simpler back then.

OceanGypsy

View Profile
Older Men or Younger Men
Posted : 29 May, 2010 12:42 PM

Usually older men. I wouldn't mind if a guy was a few years younger than me though.

OceanGypsy

View Profile
It Exists! Would the Racist Christian Enter Heaven's Gates?
Posted : 29 May, 2010 10:47 AM

I can't say for sure, because I am not God. I think only God Himself can tell who will or will not ener the gates of Heaven, but I think that people who are racist or prejudiced really don't have Christ in their hearts. I have a daily devtional journal that quotes, "The more you look up to God, the less you will look down on people."

OceanGypsy

View Profile
What are you reading at present?
Posted : 29 May, 2010 10:14 AM

I just finished Gone With The Wind by Margaret Mitchell for the hundredth time. :laugh:

Page : 1 2