Author Thread
hismercysurrounding

View Profile
Classical music
Posted : 21 Apr, 2019 05:51 PM

Yes--it's one of my favorite kinds of music! Opera is not my favorite, either, but Bach, Handel, Corelli, Beethoven, Schumann, etc. can be so peaceful and heartening.

hismercysurrounding

View Profile
Could i be a false christian?
Posted : 21 Apr, 2019 05:47 PM

P.S. My name is Melissa, too. :)

Also, a book I read that helped me when I was really struggling with doubt is "How Can I Be Sure I Am a Christian?" by Donald S. Whitney

hismercysurrounding

View Profile
Could i be a false christian?
Posted : 21 Apr, 2019 05:41 PM

Hi, Melissa! I know just what you mean; I often feel the same way, and it's disheartening. The biggest thing that helps me is simply looking to Jesus, knowing that He is the Rock, He pays for sin, and we are to keep seeking Him, repenting, and abiding in Him. It's like Peter on the waves, looking at them instead of Jesus. Yes, we are to examine ourselves and to question why we sin and our motives for things, but sometimes we can over-analyze and worry, instead of fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith. The more we do that, the more we (if we're His) should be assured of His love and power to overcome sin. Human feelings are not so much to be trusted. As Luther said: "For feelings come and feelings go, and feelings are deceiving; My warrant is the Word of God, Nought else is worth believing."

My mom recently directed me to Ephesians 6 and said I should memorize it, about taking the whole armor of God to fight against the wiles of the devil. There are other great passages to memorize or dwell on, such as Romans 7, Romans 8, etc.