Author Thread: Preparation for a Godly Marriage
Admin

Preparation for a Godly Marriage
Posted : 17 Aug, 2009 07:03 AM

I was just thinking this morning about two things that I think will help us. Most of us are here because we would like a godly marriage. These are two things I think will help prepare us for that. They both concern choice.

1). The first is the choice of who you're gonna marry. This is so important. It can make your marriage go a lot easier if you choose well. Many people may be interested in you and you may be interested in many people, but there is a person that God has set aside for you, that He will bless you with that is the best person for you. Finding that is very important. It's important to get to know everything about them, and not fiddle around or settle for something less than the best. Can God bless a marriage where maybe you made a less than best choice? Yes. It's just better and easier if you choose a godly, like-minded person who loves God and loves you like He does first.

2). The second is the choice to love the person you marry. Love is an action. It is not a feeling. It's a choice. When you marry, you have to decide day by day, second by second to love that person. The good news is God gives you that love to love with. I have to get up every morning and love my husband, whether he folds the laundry the way I think he should or not, whether he loves me or not, whether he even likes me or not, and whether I feel like it or not. Once you make that choice to be married, it then becomes incumbent upon you to love them, whether they love you or not. But, rest easy. God told us to love and He would not tell us something and not give us what we need to do it. So, He gives us love. It's like a deposit in a bank. And His yoke is easy and His burden is light, and His commandments are not grievous. He'll help us.

I just think about being married again and what I want. I don't want an average marriage, I want a God marriage that is blessed and great. I want somebody that will take my breath away and I will take theirs. And I do not want a divorce. Look at how many people have that happen. I am divorced myself though no fault of my own, and I am Biblically free to remarry. But, I hate divorce. So does God. We can break that spiritual stronghold of divorce off us and our family through prayer and believing. The commitment to love, no matter what is done to you, is very important. And it's very possible. God can take that and give you a great harvest. Think how many marriages would be the best if we did that.

So, I encourage us to choose well. Choose a godly mate. Use this time to find out about people and make a godly choice. And when you choose, really make it a commitment that you will not back out on or break. God will help you!

Be blessed!

Gloryshine

tristan07

View Profile
History
Posted : 17 Aug, 2009 09:25 AM

Well said, woman, well said. :yay:

View Profile
History
Posted : 17 Aug, 2009 09:33 AM

Thank you! God is good!

Gibbons_Dance

View Profile
History
Posted : 23 Aug, 2009 08:59 PM

The best way to prepare for a godly marriage, the best way to have a godly marriage and the best way to live a godly single life are the same: put God first.

Oh how easy to say but the trouble with being a living sacrifice is that we keep crawling off the altar.

Gibbons_Dance

View Profile
History
Posted : 23 Aug, 2009 09:02 PM

oh, an addendum: try to be the right person; be someone who you can respect, admire, and like. Again, a rough ask but discipline is rarely pleasant.

View Profile
History
Posted : 23 Aug, 2009 09:07 PM

dear gibbons, welcome to the forums.

ole cattle

View Profile
History
Posted : 28 Aug, 2009 04:22 PM

I agree! Well said!!! Most of us dont think along those terms anymore, its mostly flesh related, people forgot about the spiritual side of it is most important.. God bless..