Author Thread: Christian Music By Secular Bands?
OutOfStep

View Profile
History
Christian Music By Secular Bands?
Posted : 17 May, 2011 02:11 PM

Examples?

View Profile
History
Posted : 17 May, 2011 05:52 PM

You could discuss Christian themes, perhaps.

The Toadies Rubberneck album could be defined as the story of somebody who struggled with God and rejected Him, descending into hell in the last track.

The Stone Roses song, I am the Resurrection, which is totally awesome btw, may appear to be healthy at first listen, but it is another one that is either about the blatant rejection of Jesus. Reading the lyrics again, I consider that it could be a personification of Jesus and his expression of his distaste for sin, but there is more than enough evidence that the Stone Roses were not big proponents of Christianity or any other religion.

I used to discuss Christian themes in the Smashing Pumpkins, and I remember talking about Live too. But I'll have to research it again, since I haven't heard Live in a while and I recall giving up on understanding the Pumpkins themes. Not that they are too complicated, but I guess I'm not really that motivated.

I'll listen to Throwing Copper for a while. It's a good idea anyway.

OutOfStep

View Profile
History
Posted : 17 May, 2011 06:22 PM

A lot of music that I listen to has God as a recurring theme, and most times, the song is screaming for God to fix everything. Reminded me of a song my Young Life leader had us sing one night. "Something to Believe In" by Poison(of all people). It led into a discussion as to how people can cry out to Him, and how He's right there, and yet people can't hear Him, and why. I listen to a lot of kinds of music, and quite a lot of secular, but I always listen for the message. Sometimes, the songs I relate to the most, and feel closer to God listening to, aren't always "christian". I don't feel guilty; He's right there. I do however feel bad for the people singing it when their songs deviate from His point.

View Profile
History
Posted : 20 May, 2011 02:29 AM

listening to christian music over a secular music uplifts my spirit. the bible said out of the abundance of your heart the mouth speaker...DCTALK, NEWSBOYS,HILLSONGS.. i just want to be reminded everyday who is the boss of my life, i want everything that i listen to will magnify God that is me honoring Him.

secular songs on the other hands message is to rebel, to do things on our ways.. not caring about anyone but oneself..

the word said in everything we do it is not to honor ourselves but its gonna be God lifted up..

FalconKnight

View Profile
History
Posted : 28 May, 2011 01:00 PM

Please do not see me as extremely biased over this but... slapping the label "Christian" on contemporary music doesn't make it good... I went through a Philosophy of Music course my first semester of college, and read two books that spoke on this subject. One was "Music in the Balance", and the other "Why I left the Contemporary Christian Music Movement". I also wrote "my own" philosophy of music heavily based on SCRIPTURE ONLY.

Some say that since the lyrics to the song are talking about God or the Christian life that it is fine, but the music itself has a deeper impact on the listener than the words do... especially when you have guitars and drums blaring so loud that your eardrums are in danger of rupturing...

Yes, there are songs from CCM that are not bad at all, but there are many on the extreme end of the spectrum that one would wonder if it is really Christian music or not...

But to go back to your original question... I do not see how a "secular band" could rightly perform any "Christian music"; it is like trying to read something in a language you do not know... you might be able to get the words out, but you wont understand what it means.

View Profile
History
Posted : 14 Sep, 2011 03:51 PM

There are Christians in all aspects of life, including bands that are not "Christian bands". There have been a lot of famous musicians who became Christians, but don't always feel led to do just "Christian music". They can reach a bigger (non-Christian) audience, and get the message across to people who wouldn't go to a so-called Christian show. Dave Mustaine of Megadeth is one example.