Author Thread: Happily Ever After...without Prince Charming
Luvsick_28

View Profile
History
Happily Ever After...without Prince Charming
Posted : 7 Jan, 2009 11:08 AM

Just a thought...perhaps an ironic and irritating thought...haha!

From the very start, our parents have been telling us that one day, you'll get married and raise a family, and we grew up believing in fairy tales, Cinderella story, etc. Once in awhile, we dream and look forward into meeting "The One"..the one who'll sweep our feet off the ground, and we usually believe that a happy life equates a family life. We believe and often dream that one day, someone's going to come, and we'll be happy...

But, what if no one came? No one dared to come? Are we still entitled to happiness?

The happiness of single blessedness, perhaps?

Which is more difficult to do? To hope everyday that someday, someone's coming, and look for a date every single day, or to just accept that no one's coming and just be happy with yourself and whoever (family, friends, colleagues, pets) you have right now and equally shower them with love and care?

What is it about being single that some people find it difficult to embrace? Is being single really synonymous to being lonely?

eraser322

View Profile
History
Posted : 10 Jan, 2009 03:51 PM

For this I will asume that you are Cinderella. I saw you used the word "come" it implies that you feel little or no control, that you are waiting for a man to fall out the sky. My mother is the same way. Manifest destiny. The stigma of the female aggressor is over. As a man in modern times (a classy man such as myself) will often feel it is inaproprate to persue a woman without provocation...sexual harassment and stuff you know. There are still those guys who give the unwanted "cat calls" but those guys are trashy, you probally dont want them. You are a woman so selcting a mate can be as easy as flirting then asking a guy to coffee or a beer or whatever your thing is. Let a guy know your interested and the rest should run its course.

Hope this helps.:glow:

Luvsick_28

View Profile
History
Posted : 11 Jan, 2009 04:03 AM

Thank you for posting a comment. :) Well, I'm no Cinderella because I don't have pet rats who help me one way or another...just kidding. Anyway, manifest destiny...what a lovely and powerful word for us "old school" people like me and your mother. Actually, most of my friends see me as a grandmother stuck in a teenager's body because of my view in love and relationship. And with that, I have a problem with flirting. I'm not good at it and I don't intend to be because I don't want to do it to begin with. (except if it's life and death situation.lol.) And the Filipino culture in general, is not really a fan of it so it doesn't really make it easier on me.

But, at any rate, what I'm trying to pinpoint here is the beauty of being single, rather than hoping to pursue and being pursued. That being single shouldn't be seen as a burden that we have to get rid of once and for all. But, I really appreciate that you took the time in posting a comment.

And after saying this, I'm feeling after a few days or weeks, my inbox and "view me" area would be field with cubwebs...hahaha! But, that's ok. :)

View Profile
History
Posted : 12 Jan, 2009 02:52 AM

Hi there,

It's probably a good idea to look at this from a biblical perspective. What is happiness? It doesn't have to do with being married or single. It has to do with serving the Lord and loving others as God has loved us, right? So we can accomplish this in whatever state we are in.

I think in general, men desire a companion and a helpmeet, as God made the first ever observation, "It is not good for man to be alone". As for women, I Tim. 2:15 is a powerful verse that goes unnoticed in our culture, but it teaches that a woman is "preserved" through the bearing of children. That is, for both men and women, it is very fulfilling to be married, loving each other, raising children and having a family.

While we are single, we should be content in whatever state we are in, as Paul says, and we should be happy to live for the Lord. But we can pray to Him that we desire to be married, and we can praise Him when He answers our prayers. We can work on being the kind of person that a person would want to marry, so that we can be the best possible spouse. Women can read Proverbs 31, Titus 2, and learn from older women in their church. Men can learn to be leaders, protectors, providers, and responsible, godly men who keep their word. These are good principles whether single or seeking a spouse. Happiness is found in faithfulness, not in any particular circumstance--look at the Apostle Paul, whose life was characterized by sickness, beatings, imprisonments, persecution, singleness, etc., yet he was more fulfilled than I will probably ever be. I know that I can't get caught in the fantasy of fairy tales until God puts me in one, in marriage, because then and only then has God made this fairy tale a reality. Until then, I can't get lost in thinking about things that God has not promised me.

David