Author Thread: "For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son , in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers" (Rom. 8:29).
dljrn04

View Profile
History
"For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son , in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers" (Rom. 8:29).
Posted : 8 Nov, 2011 08:11 AM

This word, "predestined," admits of only one natural meaning. In its lowest sense, predestination is understood to mean the exclusive agency of God in producing every event. But it includes more than this: it takes in God's predetermined appointment and fore-arrangement of a thing beforehand, according to his divine and supreme will.

This is how the Greek is rendered: "to do whatever your hand and your plan had predestined to take place" (Acts 4:28). Again, "he predestined us for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will" (Eph. 1:5). This affirms of God, that the same prearrangement and predetermination which men in general incline to ascribe to him in the government of matter, extends equally, and with even stronger force, to the concerns of his moral administration.

It would seem impossible to form any correct idea of God disassociated from the idea of predestination. And yet how marvelously difficult is it to win minds to a full, unwavering acquiescence in a truth which, in a different application, they receive with unquestioning readiness!

And what is there in the application of this law of the Divine government to the world of matter which is not equally reasonable in its application to the world of mind? If it is necessary and proper in the material, why should it not be equally, or more so, in the spiritual empire? If God is admitted the full exercise of a sovereignty in the one, then why should he be excluded from an unlimited sovereignty in the other? Surely it is even more worthy of him that he should prearrange, predetermine, and supremely rule in the concerns of a world over which his more dignified and glorious empire extends, than that in the inferior world of matter he should fix a constellation in the heavens, guide the gyrations of a bird in the air, direct the falling of an autumnal leaf in the pathless desert, or convey the seed, borne upon the wind, to the spot in which it should grow. Surely if no fortuitous ordering is admitted in the one case, then on infinitely stronger grounds it should be excluded from the other.

Divine foreknowledge and providence could take their stand upon no other basis than this. Disconnected from the will and purpose of God, there could be nothing certain as to the future; and consequently there could be nothing certainly foreknown. And if Providence were not to regulate and control people, things, and events�every dispensation in fact�by the same preconstructed plan, then it would follow that God would be exposed to trillions of unforeseen contingencies, or else that he acts in ignorance, or contrary to his will. What is predestination, then, but God's determining will?

Now all this applies with augmented beauty and force to the idea of a predestinated church. How clearly God has revealed this doctrine! "Even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world... In love he predestined us" (Eph. 1:4�5). "Whose names were ... written before the foundation of the world in the book of life of the Lamb who was slain" (Rev. 13:8). "Elect ... according to the foreknowledge of God the Father" (1 Pet. 1:1�2). "Who saved us and called us to a holy calling, not because of our works but because of his own purpose and grace, which he gave us in Christ Jesus before the ages began" (2 Tim. 1:9). What an accumulation of evidence in proof of a single doctrine of Scripture! Who but the most prejudiced can resist, or the most skeptical deny, its overwhelming force?

Oh, to receive it as the Word of God! To admit it, not because reason can understand it, or man can explain it�for all truth flowing from an infinite source must necessarily transcend a finite mind�but because God's holy Word declares it.

'Tis not that I did choose thee,

for, Lord, that could not be;

this heart would still refuse thee,

hadst thou not chosen me.

Thou from the sin that stained me

hast cleansed and set me free;

of old thou hast ordained me,

that I should live to thee.

'Twas sovereign mercy called me

and taught my op'ning mind;

the world had else enthralled me,

to heavenly glories blind.

My heart owns none before thee,

for thy rich grace I thirst;

this knowing, if I love thee,

thou must have loved me first.

(Josiah Conder, 1836

View Profile
History
"For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son , in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers" (Rom. 8:29).
Posted : 8 Nov, 2011 08:30 AM

This word, "predestined," admits of only one natural meaning. In its lowest sense, predestination is understood to mean the exclusive agency of God in producing every event. But it includes more than this: it takes in God's predetermined appointment and fore-arrangement of a thing beforehand, according to his divine and supreme will.

This statement exposes the unbelief of the writer you can hear his reasoning, faith is not sensual and he is speaking in light of the context but of the doctrines of men.

View Profile
History
Posted : 8 Nov, 2011 09:23 AM

Rom 8:26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.

Rom 8:27 And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

Rom 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

Rom 8:29 � For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

dljrn04

View Profile
History
Posted : 8 Nov, 2011 09:28 AM

you will never understand God with your carnal mind.You constantly deny God's word.

View Profile
History
Posted : 8 Nov, 2011 09:40 AM

My response is in light of the word donna the post is one of reasoning which is the carnal mind

View Profile
History
Posted : 8 Nov, 2011 09:42 AM

View Profile

History

Self Deception:

Posted : 8 Nov, 2011 09:38 AM

Jude 1:10 But these speak evil of those things which they know not: but what they know naturally, as brute beasts, in those things they corrupt themselves.

Jude 1:11 Woe unto them! for they have gone in the way of Cain, and ran greedily after the error of Balaam for reward, and perished in the gainsaying of Core.

2nd Peter 2:12 But these, as natural brute beasts, made to be taken and destroyed, speak evil of the things that they understand not; and shall utterly perish in their own corruption;

2nd Peter 2:13 And shall receive the reward of unrighteousness, as they that count it pleasure to riot in the day time. Spots they are and blemishes, sporting themselves with their own deceivings while they feast with you;

1. These speak evil of things that they know not of

2.By what they know naturally

3.They are called brute Beasts corrupting themselves.

In 2nd Peter it is spoken again:

Summed up saying Spots and blemishes they are sporting themselves with their own deceptions while they feast with you.

View Profile
History
Posted : 8 Nov, 2011 09:48 AM

Than you Donna for your post.

Not all people understand that.

Who are the elect?

Our God Jesus said:

"For many are invited, but few are chosen." Matthew 22:14

Revelation 17:14 They will make war against the Lamb/Jesus, but the Lamb will overcome them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings--and with him will be his called c,hosen :angel:and faithful followers."

2 Peter 1:10 Therefore, my brothers, be all the more eager to make your calling and election:bow: sure. For if you do these things, you will never fall,

But you are a chosen people:angel:, a royal priesthood, a holy nation:angel:, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises :applause:of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light:glow:.

1 Peter 2:9

6 And He said to me, �It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. I will give of the fountain of the water of life freely to him who thirsts.

7 He who overcomes:angel: shall inherit all things, and I will be his God and he shall be My son. 8 But the cowardly, unbelieving abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.�Revelation 21

14 Blessed are those who do His commandments:bow:, that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter through the gates into the city.Revelation 22

So, who are the elect?

They are those who will not be crushed by their sins and safely land int he Kingdom of God. They are those, who are faithful, do God's commandments and holy!

God knows the end from the beginning. That's why He called them the elect and the chosen. he says the end/the result of their race of life.

All are invited to their Wedding but not all will go there. Not all are dressed appropriately in the clothes of righteousness.

They have many reasons not to obey God!!!

It means all Christians/unbelievers/people are invited to the Kingdom of God but now all will be able to enter there. Only a few (a small remnant) will win the race.

Matthew 22

The Parable of the Wedding Feast

1 And Jesus answered and spoke to them again by parables and said: 2 �The kingdom of heaven is like a certain king who arranged a marriage for his son, 3 and sent out his servants to call those who were invited to the wedding; and they were not willing to come. 4 Again, he sent out other servants, saying, �Tell those who are invited, �See, I have prepared my dinner; my oxen and fatted cattle are killed, and all things are ready. Come to the wedding.�� 5 But they made light of it and went their ways, one to his own farm, another to his business. 6 And the rest seized his servants, treated them spitefully, and killed them. 7 But when the king heard about it, he was furious. And he sent out his armies, destroyed those murderers, and burned up their city. 8 Then he said to his servants, �The wedding is ready, but those who were invited were not worthy. 9 Therefore go into the highways, and as many as you find, invite to the wedding.� 10 So those servants went out into the highways and gathered together all whom they found, both bad and good. And the wedding hall was filled with guests.

11 �But when the king came in to see the guests, he saw a man there who did not have on a wedding garment. 12 So he said to him, �Friend, how did you come in here without a wedding garment?� And he was speechless. 13 Then the king said to the servants, �Bind him hand and foot, take him away, and[a] cast him into outer darkness; there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.�

14 �For many are called, but few are chosen.�

View Profile
History
Posted : 8 Nov, 2011 09:50 AM

Yes Bahira you do not understand, but it is because you chose not to hear the truth.

View Profile
History
Posted : 8 Nov, 2011 09:51 AM

It means all Christians/unbelievers/people are invited to the Kingdom of God but NOT all will be able to enter there. Only a few (a small remnant) will win the race of life.

View Profile
History
Posted : 8 Nov, 2011 09:58 AM

That is a perfect example of altering the word to fit your opinion, and you can rest assured Donna does not agree with your explanation.

Calvinsit teach you can not turn away from God.

You also by saying few will make it in are saying Satan is greater than, the lord.

The goodness of the lord is god's ways

Satan's ways are lies against the truth

Be careful Bahira you will barking all over the neighborhood soon.

Bahira if you will let Jesus fill you with the Holy Ghost he will teach you to be a strong witness, but you can not do it without the holy spirit

dljrn04

View Profile
History
Posted : 8 Nov, 2011 10:15 AM

pj says "Calvinsit teach you can not turn away from God."

what does that mean i have never heard of that before?

Page : 1 2