Author Thread: What is Marriage
daves7days

View Profile
History
What is Marriage
Posted : 1 Feb, 2009 03:50 PM

What is marriage? According to Dr. Jay Adams it is a covenant of companionship. I like that definition. It goes back to the Original purpose in the beginning. It is not good for man to be alone. Man needs companionship. And God�s choice was a woman, not a dog or another man.

God joined them together by creating them male and female. God created them specifically to be joined together. But companionship goes far beyond sex. What God has joined together let not man put asunder. Jesus said this to the Pharisees. It is the only time He defines marriage and quotes the Genesis account of Adam & Eve. It seems that God�s idea of joining them together was to create them (physically) to complement each other as companions.

It should be noted that Adam already had fellowship with God on a daily basis. But He still needed God to make a woman and put them together in the garden. And they lived happily ever after, in paradise where the skies are not cloudy all day, right? Maybe, but there is still much confusion about marriage, husband/wife roles and Christian ethics?

Couples break fellowship. They break the commitment or covenant of companionship. But they are still made in God�s image. They are still made by God to be joined together. And the man is still alone.

A couple of signs of the last days says, they will �be giving and receiving in marriage.� This may mean everything is going as usual. Or it may mean today�s divorce rate is a sign the end may not be so close. We may need a revival in the happy & successful marriage category.

It also says false teachers will come with among other things seducing spirits and doctrines of demons, 1 Tim 4:1. one such doctrine is forbidding to marry. By forbidding to marry man is not only left alone, he is bombarded by outside sexual temptations without any Godly means of escape. We live in a hyper sexualized culture. Rev. 17 give an example of the ways and method of operation for a harlot. She is not a companion. She is out to get the man who is alone. Many become drunk on her cup of abominations/fornications. And this a counterfeit of what God intended to join man and wife together. It can even creep into marriage when the husband get eyes full of adultery

2 Peter 2:14 or it may be the wife who plays the harlot with her husband demanding more and more of what she can not rightly have (Idolatry).

IOW, there is a right way and a wrong way. So define marriage if you can in anything other than a purely legalistic way. To define marriage as God meant for it to be seems hard. But though I cannot define it I know it when I see it.

View Profile
History
What is Marriage
Posted : 11 Feb, 2009 09:47 AM

Dave,

You said: "it is natural to love your own children. I believe not to do so is what the bible calls those without natural affection Romans 1:31"

You have taken a quote and misquoted it and applied it very incorrectly. The passage in Romans is talking about homosexuality among other sinful behavior.

Here is Rom 1:31. 31 undiscerning, untrustworthy, unloving, unforgiving, unmerciful; NKJV

Please show me where it says "natural affection".

In Christ,

Walter

View Profile
History
What is Marriage
Posted : 11 Feb, 2009 09:49 AM

Rom 1:18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness,

Rom 1:19 because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them.

Rom 1:20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse,

Rom 1:21 because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened.

Rom 1:22 Professing to be wise, they became fools,

Rom 1:23 and changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like corruptible man�and birds and four-footed animals and creeping things.

Rom 1:24 Therefore God also gave them up to uncleanness, in the lusts of their hearts, to dishonor their bodies among themselves,

Rom 1:25 who exchanged the truth of God for the lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen.

Rom 1:26 For this reason God gave them up to vile passions. For even their women exchanged the natural use for what is against nature.

Rom 1:27 Likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust for one another, men with men committing what is shameful, and receiving in themselves the penalty of their error which was due.

Rom 1:28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a debased mind, to do those things which are not fitting;

Rom 1:29 being filled with all unrighteousness, sexual immorality, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, evil-mindedness; they are whisperers,

Rom 1:30 backbiters, haters of God, violent, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,

Rom 1:31 undiscerning, untrustworthy, unloving, unforgiving, unmerciful;

Rom 1:32 who, knowing the righteous judgment of God, that those who practice such things are deserving of death, not only do the same but also approve of those who practice them.

View Profile
History
What is Marriage
Posted : 11 Feb, 2009 10:17 AM

Thank you,

Walter, Leon, Elisa, and Ella. Real men marry their beloved, because they have a desire to do what is right in God's sight and to protect, and provide for her. Thanks to all of you who will not allow the twisting of the scriptures to go unanswered.

God bless you,

Lydia

View Profile
History
What is Marriage
Posted : 11 Feb, 2009 12:15 PM

Walter,

In the KJV, the word "unloving" is translated "without natural affection". However, I think you are exactly right. This whole passage is about homosexuality, and the mixed up emotions, and actions that go with it.

Blessings,

Leon

View Profile
History
What is Marriage
Posted : 11 Feb, 2009 01:01 PM

Thats a great post Elisa...But I just thought that I would take this opportunity to tell you that your chances of finding Marriage (yourself) at this site wouild be greatly improved if you opened up communication channels to more than those between 18 & 18 because with that setting no one else can contact you. Thats just the default setting that you forgot to change when you signed up...Just an oversight I'm sure.

Thought I'd let you know that...Who knows, Maybe I might want to write to you...Later:waving:

daves7days

View Profile
History
What is Marriage
Posted : 11 Feb, 2009 01:24 PM

Yes I agree, homosexuality is an unnatural affection in Romans 1. but it don�t take a Word from God to know it is natural for parents to love their own children. I�d call it unnatural if they do not.

Here it is included in a whole list of other bad characteristics people get infected with in this world in these last days. Maybe you know someone like that. I post the whole list because it all kind of goes together.

2 Timothy 3:1-7

�1This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.

2For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,

3Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,

4Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;

5Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.

6For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts,

7Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.�

daves7days

View Profile
History
What is Marriage
Posted : 11 Feb, 2009 02:59 PM

Thank you,

Walter, Leon, Elisa, and Ella. Real men marry their beloved, because they have a desire to do what is right in God's sight and to protect, and provide for her. Thanks to all of you who will not allow the twisting of the scriptures to go unanswered.

God bless you,

Lydia

Lydia:

That goes without saying, unless of course you are saying what makes a marriage is dependent on your own narrow definition of a

�real man.�

Tell me, would you know one if you seen one?

I can not help but notice this very worldly, even satanic attack on mankind specifically men, who are made out to be bumbling idiots, the topic of jokes and generally disrespected for no apparent reason. It must be some kind of Feminist reverse sexual discrimination or something.

IMO, a woman who continually implies that her husband is not a �REAL MAN� is missing the mark in understanding what makes a marriage. In fact attacking a man�s manhood and/or worth as a man is probably the one most damaging thing a wife can do to him.

What is marriage? The bible says God made them male and female. That is plain, not twisting scripture. God made a real man and a real woman and put them together. Does a woman have to try to be a REAL woman? You say Real men marry their beloved, what does that mean? Again, What is marriage? Don�t women protect their husbands, too? Does a wife provide for her husband in any way? Or is she just a taker never giving in return. As a man I find this hyper criticism of males to be counter productive at the least.

What is a real woman in marriage? IMO, that would be a woman who knows how to keep her man close in a day when he is being attacked from all sides by the enemy. Unlike Job�s wife telling him to curse God and die. The foolish wife kicks her husband when he is down. That is not marriage.

How do you feel about a man who has been limited in his ability to provide. A handicapped or working poor man may work and try very hard but still be unable to provide in a satisfactory way by your standards. And from what I have seen, men who overwork have much more stress in a marriage, less time and energy to make the marriage work.

I do not think money is the most important factor in marriage. Otherwise only wealthy men could afford to be married. Solomon was wealthy and had too many wives. As King he was commanded to multiply to himself many wives. Uriah the Hittite had one wife he loved very much. Which one was a real man? And what about Bathsheba? King David could provide for her much better than his poor soldier Uriah.

View Profile
History
What is Marriage
Posted : 11 Feb, 2009 06:13 PM

Dave,

I think you make some very good points. I really do agree with most of what you say in this post. Our only real difference comes from the legal aspect of marriage. I just like to play by the rules. Whether they be God's or the governments', I try to follow them. I don't always succeed, but I give it a shot.

It appears to me, and I may be wrong, that you are talking about a specific thing, like two people on fixed incomes, who will be punished by losing benefits if they marry. If you are speaking of an instance like this, tell us, and maybe it will stop some of the anger this kind of thing can generate.

I think women have been the loser in many situations, where the man didn't "Do the paperwork", and that is why it seems the ladies are coming down on you. They have heard all these excuses before from men who had no intention of staying, and just wanted an easy out.

That is another thing about being legally married, it is a hassle to get a divorce, and you stop and think about it before you do it. If all you have to do is load up and leave, that's what you usually do.

Now, about the divorce rate falling. It is 51%, and has been for over 10 years. Maybe fewer people are marrying each year, I am not sure of that, but the percentage is stable, and unchanged.

Blessings,

Leon

daves7days

View Profile
History
What is Marriage
Posted : 12 Feb, 2009 07:01 AM

I heard 55% of today�s marriages end in divorce. And another 20%-25 % are barely holding it together in unhappy unsatisfying marriages. That leaves about 20-25 % of marriages that are good. I seek to learn what it is that makes the difference. What is marriage or what makes a good marriage? Money seems to be a major factor. If the money is gone then the wife leaves. Too bad, but that is how it is for some.

Page : 1 2