Author Thread: Joining and Serving
MindOfChrist2008

View Profile
History
Joining and Serving
Posted : 12 Feb, 2009 03:17 AM

I'm curious about the biblical implications of serving in the armed services overseas in combat, especially when innocent lives are taken by mistake. For instance, there's talks about the War in Iraq where soldiers DO NOT know when a supposed child is armed with explosives or anybody for that matter and end up taking their lives, because of this mistake. How exactly does that line up scripturally? I know that I probably could not wear that on my sleeve as that is a heavy burden to bear psychologically, not to mention the spiritual aspect of it all.

Hmmm... any "born-again' believers whose spouses or family members served in the war that battled these same thoughts?

This is one thing that is keeping me from enlisting in the marine corp.

View Profile
History
Joining and Serving
Posted : 12 Feb, 2009 09:57 AM

One thing you should consider before making any decision about doctrine on this issue is, in the OT God often instructed the Israelites to kill every man, woman, child, and all the livestock.

There are things happening in the spiritual realm that we don't understand. Iraq is what was known in the Bible as Babylon. This country was the enemy of God's children, and they were used by God to punish Israel. But because they harmed them, they were condemned. The prophets tell of their destruction, we just don't know when.

Many of the wars we have been involved in, were discussed in the Bible. Many of the ones to come will be even worse by modern standards. Read the bible, you will see that what goes on in wars today, is nothing in comparison to what happened back then.

Being a Christian doesn't mean we no longer stand for what is right.

Just my thoughts,

Leon

View Profile
History
Joining and Serving
Posted : 13 Feb, 2009 07:54 AM

I served in the military for 9 yrs. I too struggled with this issue but know God also led me into the military for there I learned about character, discipline, respect, self control..., and all the things parents should teach. I grew up fatherless.

I too didnt think I could take someones life so God led me into the medical field (dental field) and there I served repairing the broken bodies and faces of our warriors who faced what you will face if you enlist in the marines.

Many people serve and are not injured and never have to make the decision of taking a life. Scripture says, raise a child in the way they should go and when they are old they will not depart from them.

Know this, that the children in that region are in many ways being raised and bred to hate and kill. These stories are true. As Leon stated, in the OT, God would often say kill them all, but we live in the NT where Jesus who is God teaches us to love our enemies.

Our warriors are there not to kill, but to protect, and to be there as ambassadors to these kids and adults that are being trained to be fanatics of hate. As a soldier serving overseas, you will be interacting with the local populations, you will be given an opportunity to learn their language and their ways and customs and that will make you a better ambassador. An Ambassador of Love.

Our troops may be the only source of hope in an otherwise hopeless life. God can and will use our troops to show the people there another way to live. The world envies America and often hates us for we represent the clearest picture of heaven that the world has ever seen. All nations are represented here and we all have become one people. This is the high calling in which God calls us to. We have much to work out as a country for we certainly fall short of our calling but we are still the freest nation on earth. I pray we don't stray from our roots which are based on God.

Daniel 7 speaks of a beast in the form of a lion with eagles wings, it says the wings are removed and made to stand on two feet as the feet of a man, and this man is given the heart of a man. This is America in scripture. The lion was Britain and we where the wings which were removed. We are the only country in the world which will go to war, bust our enemies up and then fix them and build them back up making them our allies, friends, and brothers. We did it to Japan, Germany, and now to Afghanistan and Iraq.

If we succeed there and represent rightly, we can make a huge difference in the lives of people (many called to be our brothers in Christ) raised to be our enemies. For out of every nation, tribe and tongue He calls us to be His Bride.

Greater love has no man than if he lays down his life for his neighbor. If you do join my brother. I pray not only that you live but also that you see the great opportunity it is not just to travel, see new things, earn money for college, learn discipline, respect, submission to authority, but also to love.

Many of our troops who I served with in Korea took arrogance and disrespect and often violated ancient customs and traditions of our host country and left a bad taste in the mouths of many Koreans. I went there, learned to read, write and speak the language and made many friends who were hosts in showing me a beautiful and ancient culture which is over 5000 years old. America is a young pup compared to them.

Search your heart my brother for if you decide to serve, it is not just to become an instrument of death (although you may be called to take life) but to become a giver and bringer of life. Go and make disciples brother. You don't have to preach. Just love for God is love and by giving love you give God. God who is faithfull will use you to change peoples lives.

He is both a lion and a lamb. Let Him be both in you too for He dwells there. Become the gentle warrior that He is in you.

From one warrior to another,

Robert

View Profile
History
Joining and Serving
Posted : 13 Feb, 2009 09:31 AM

Beautiful, Robert. Very good job.

Blessings,

Leon

MindOfChrist2008

View Profile
History
Joining and Serving
Posted : 14 Feb, 2009 05:41 AM

Robert,

My spirit lept at the words you posted. I rarely hear about the good coming about during this ugly time of war. I've considered all of the incentives you listed when considering the armed forces; however, that one bit about taking the life of another, especially small children is not only conflicting, but I feel that it would rob me of the element you speak of, and that is to love.

Thanks for the feedback as it was inspiring for a brother looking to not only better his own life, but also those who are hurting. I will search more in prayer to see if this is where I am being called.

View Profile
History
Joining and Serving
Posted : 14 Feb, 2009 05:01 PM

Thanks Leon and to you mindofchrist I say that you do have the MIND OF CHRIST and He will lead you in all things until He finishes what He has started in you on the day of Christ Jesus.

Be strong my brothers. In Him.

View Profile
History
Joining and Serving
Posted : 22 Feb, 2009 07:53 PM

i actually just got out not to long ago.its tuff in that situation cause ultimatley the harsh reality is... its you or them. luckiley we never had to fight kids so that is a huge relief.

View Profile
History
Joining and Serving
Posted : 18 Mar, 2009 10:05 PM

I believe that we are not there just to defend our country. I believe we are there because there is a people who desperately need Jesus. Because of our heroes, the people of Iraq are abel to hear the Gospel. So I believe it is at God's request that we are there. It is all part of God's plan.

I have two sons in the Navy, the oldest spent a year in Iraq convoying Seabees and Marines from Falujah City to Falujah base and back during the battle for Falujah Nov 2004. He saw some awful things but he also got to see a free Iraqui people vote.

It is a good thing we are doing over there. I am in awe of all of the men and women who serve.

But what ever you do, it should be bathed in earnest prayer that it is God's will for your life.

View Profile
History
Joining and Serving
Posted : 6 Apr, 2009 07:09 PM

I am retired military. I served the majority of my time in Europe. IN a country that did not want Americans there ~ though we were there to protect.

I am disabled secondary to Service-Connected duties.

I loved my job ~ though I was not on the front lines ~ I saw the remnants of service members away from home, loved ones and family ~ who ~ for some ~ had never even been out of the communities they grew up in ~ much less a country where English was not the first or even the second language.

Traveling as I did ~ it was my job to help service members who became addicted to drugs/alcohol.

I trained as did every soldier ~ with the M16 as my partner for life. It became a part of me. And, I was to take care of it ~ so it could take care of me.

Could I take a life in the event it was necessary to defend this country?

I would.

I could.

I am female...and proud to have served during the Vietnam Era. I love the Lord with all my heart and spirit. There are things we must do to keep our country safe. We do what we have to do.

SHINEMP

View Profile
History
Joining and Serving
Posted : 31 May, 2009 09:33 AM

It's a double edged sword, as I person who is currently finishing school in order to join. You for sure have to have your heart in the right place to do!

View Profile
History
Joining and Serving
Posted : 22 Jun, 2009 01:05 PM

One of the best original posts I've read! Thank you for bringing up this subject...very thought provoking.

I retired from the US military having served during Granada and Desert Storm.

I have always felt biblically supported in honoring my country and serving despite the often emigma presented. Everyone is different in how they deal with things. To be sure it has never been that I have always agreed with our actions around the world or even with our internal dynamics here in the USA. It HAS always been the case that I have placed my faith in a GOD who maintains the ability to right the wrongs of all men. There is a saying that goes like this: Ours is not to reason why, our is but to do and die. What that means to me is this: As a soldier, you control only yourself - actions and REactions to events and you do so with complete trust not in any one man or government but an all knowing and wise God who many times may come down on the side of those that some might consider our "enemies". My job is to ensure that MY heart is yielded and right before a very just God and exercise faith in HIS ability to bring HIS plan about for all mankind.

I have two examples that I am sure some will fill are totally unrelated to the question but please remember this is simply how I see the answer to this question for myself.

Example one: I am one of the most patriotic Americans you might ever meet...ONE OF THEM...still, I served under Presidents that I did not vote for and whose policies (foreign and domestic) I did not agree with...still I honor them just as I do President Obama for the leadership role they have been permitted to serve in according to God's plan.

Example two: As you can see by my profile I absolutely love dogs...I rescue and train them for the disabled- I come across dogs in thee most deperate of situations (running down highways, tethered to bumpers for years on end with chains embedded in their necks...) Many people sleep well after seeing such things - I never could. My heart would be touched and my sleep disturbed until I knew that I had done all that I could...even then it would bother me...I don't know why. Its just the tenderness of my heart towards them. Point is I have (even today) to remind myself, when I cannot help to give them over to the God that created them and TRUST that he will make all things right for something I cannot effect. May seem unrelated to the question but in my mind? That is the same way that I served my country - recognizing my limitations and Gods ability to work HIS divine plan without my input.

When I was 12 I asked God to take me down every path in life that HE wanted me to go down so that I would learn those things needed to be a true servant. I often believe that accounts for why I tend to not always agree with the commonly accepted practices of christianity people ascribe to Christianity. Jesus was our example of everything including service to our fellow man.

Peace and honor to all and especially to my fellow military family in and OUT of service and to those who have given the best of themselves to us all!

Page : 1 2