Author Thread: is Christ alone truly enough for me?
Admin

is Christ alone truly enough for me?
Posted : 8 Aug, 2012 10:32 AM

hey there sisters and brothers in Christ!

i just had a thought come to mind and wanted to share with you.

there was a small earthquake two days in a row, last night and this morning here in southern california, and seeing all these frequent natural disasters happening all around the world among other things, i feel that Jesus' second coming is near (as you also may have noticed).

i do feel and believe that i am genuinely waiting for Him to return but am not sure if i can say that with 100% confidence because a part of me says the following: "i want to accomplish this and that, it would be nice if Jesus came back after i did this, etc."

then i ask myself the question, "do i truly feel that Christ alone is enough for me?" i feel as though i am denying Jesus in such ways and it breaks my heart. i feel like i'm holding onto the things of this world and lack a strong relationship with Him.

does anyone else feels this way?

any advice/thoughts?

View Profile
History
Posted : 8 Aug, 2012 11:59 PM

Mathew 16:24 Then Jesus said to his disciples, "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.

Make a choice,it's your life.

myheartismadenew

View Profile
History
Posted : 10 Aug, 2012 06:43 AM

It's normal to feel this way bc how Christ be enough for me when we can't hear or see him. Human nature dictates that we rely on the things we can see or hear. When we talk to Jesus we want to hear from Him and it's hard to solely rely on someone who you can't talk back to you. That's how faith grows, when we can't see or hear from Jesus but we still have faith that he is there for us.

How do we have faith or strengthen it? God isn't going to just give us faith. He's going to put us in certain situations where we don't rely on ourself but let Him take control. When we trust Him to do what's best for us. For example, when someone hurts us, most of us would get revenge or do something else stupid we regret later instead of turning to God. If we seek God's answer then that's how we strengthen our faith. Faith comes by hearing and hearing the word of God, Romans 10:17 and faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see, Hebrews 11:1

Hope this helps

share1033

View Profile
History
Posted : 13 Aug, 2012 02:50 PM

I agree that it is hard at times to believe God hears or is there. There are those who say God speaks to them or shows them in visions. Some times I think I hear him then I question if it is just my own thoughts. I guess all we can do is go on pure faith.

View Profile
History
Posted : 13 Aug, 2012 08:44 PM

I have felt that way before.

My Dad is involved in ministry, and I don't believe I have the relationship with God that he does. The relationship he has with the Lord isn't something I can just go take or read a book and obtain. What has helped me though, is to realize that whoever and whatever I want to hold onto in this life, it is actually the Lord within many of those things I'm wanting to hold onto. It is God who I love in my Dad, and it is God who I love in my little brother and even in the mountains. Every good taste, smell, experience and the people I love were made possible because God is who He is. It is in this way, that I've been able to let go of what I thought I wanted to hold onto, to take hold of the Lord who's behind it all.

dantes_redemption

View Profile
History
Posted : 18 Aug, 2012 02:08 AM

forgive me for saying this my friend but I believe you were a bit harsh. there is a difference between someone to sing to have a bad attitude versus someone thinking through what it is there going through. the fact that this young woman seems to be interested in answering the questions she posed honestly says quite a lot about her character to me. my face is grown more from being honest with god and my doubts. true faith does not grow without honest doubt. you cannot give to god would you do not own. unless you own your own frailty an admitted to god he can do nothing to help you. I am always amazed when I read the bible and see people admitting there frailty to jesus. and then I see jesus choosing to remain with that person and love them.

View Profile
History
Posted : 21 Dec, 2015 06:58 AM

myheartismadenew: I couldn't have said it better!

View Profile
History
Posted : 22 May, 2018 05:06 PM

To Admin...

I feel and have felt the same way to varying extents. I don't think it's uncommon, but we do need to get to a "place" where we WANT God and His will more than anything else. This is what spiritual maturity is about, and what I believe what Paul called "sanctification". It is a process, so don't think that you have to have it all perfectly down at this very second. But, of course, keep using that compass known as the Bible to guide you and help you maintain the battle against the old self.

As for me, I am not there. At all. The rug of my life, if you will, has been yanked out from under me, and God is utterly silent. Even in His word I am reading little that would seem like a response. I am so perplexed, frustrated, unhappy. So I do not have perfect trust in God, His plan, or His goodness. I battle with my perceptions and desires, too. Just maintain the race Paul wrote about. Keep pushing forward. Work to push idols (like dreams, goals) off the throne of your heart. This, I have found, is profoundly difficult, but ultimately necessary. And, I'm not saying have no dreams or goals. Just do not put them ahead of a course correction God may set you on. This is my current battle, and one I feel as if I've been dragged behind the back of a truck over. So, I get it.

On more tangential matters, I do not believe a few minor shakes means Christ's return is imminent. Earthquakes happen all the time and will continue to happen. Bad storms hit. Plagues hit. Wars happen. Welcome to the City of Man (a la Augustine). Be careful how you read Matt. 24. Jesus did not say there would be an increase in these things, just that they would occur in diverse places. Earthquakes, storms, etc., actually went through a lull in recent decades. We are to be perpetually alert and vigilant, no matter what the happenings, because it is when we do not expect Him, like a thief in the night, that He will arrive.