Author Thread: Dilemma
Admin

Dilemma
Posted : 13 Mar, 2009 09:24 PM

I really need advice and/or passages in scripture that talk about temptation and how to deal with it. I'm often faced with temptation and have not given in (very proud of myself for that because I know it's what God wants me to do), but sometimes it can be very hard. In times like those, it would be nice to go to the bible. I'm not going to give in to the devil or his sinful traps that he sets.

View Profile
History
Dilemma
Posted : 13 Mar, 2009 10:49 PM

My favorite is in the book of James

1:2

My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials,

1:3

knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience.

1:4

But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing.

Here are some others

Matt. 26:41

Watch and pray, lest you enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak."

1 Cor. 10:13

No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it.

James 1:12

Blessed is the man who endures temptation; for when he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him.

James

1:13

Let no one say when he is tempted, "I am tempted by God"; for God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does He Himself tempt anyone.

1:14

But each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed.

These are some of my favorites.

Blessings,

Leon

View Profile
History
Dilemma
Posted : 14 Mar, 2009 12:36 PM

Thanks so much Leon! Those passages have really put things into perspective and made me think again that God won't put you through anything that he knows you can't handle or pull through.

You've shown me some really good one! Thanks again and have a blessed day!

View Profile
History
Dilemma
Posted : 15 Mar, 2009 11:59 AM

Hi J,

What Leon said. LOL

But also consider this. If you are worried about temptations....then don't go or place yourself where you might be tempted. When you go out on a date don't go back to his or your place especially if you are tired. When we are tired it is harder to resist temptations.

Also it would help if you had an "Accountability Partner". This is someone you can trust, who is very spiritual, knows God's word and will hold you accountable on a daily basis. It is one thing to go to God and ask for forgiveness. It is another to have to go to another human being and confess your sins and then be held accountable. It is very embarrassing and let me tell you that it helps. This is the one thing more than anything else that helped Billy Graham throughout his life. He had the same accountability partner and spoke with him every day.

Blessings!

Walter

View Profile
History
Dilemma
Posted : 15 Mar, 2009 01:04 PM

What Walter and Leon said. LOL

Good advise gentlemen. I really like the idea of the accountability partner. Blessings, Lydia