Author Thread: A Consensus on Christianity
NRSV1953

View Profile
History
A Consensus on Christianity
Posted : 11 Feb, 2013 02:54 PM

This question is for women and men:

When you boil it all down, what does a Christian really have to believe? Can you list the one or two criteria that are absolutely required for someone to be considered a Christian?

I am curious to see if such a diverse group of Christians can come to a consensus about the most basic requirement for being a Christian. Remember, Jesus may be reading this too!

View Profile
History
Posted : 19 Feb, 2013 11:10 AM

Hi NRSV1953,

It seems that trying to find a consensus is just not the right way.

The Bible tells us that at one time all the people did have a real type of consensus and they built the tower of Babel to "make a name" for them self.

The tower of Babel Genesis 11:1-9

Link = http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Genesis%2011:1-10&version=KJV

Trying to get everyone under one Christian identity or "name" is very similar to that.

And Jesus said this:

Matthew 10:34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. 35 For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. 36 And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.

Humanity (and Christianity) is meant to be a divided people.

I even say that this is what Jesus meant for us to remember from the "Last Supper" in that Jesus body is broken and blood (His spirit) is spilled out - so now the spiritual body of Christ is broken into pieces scattered around and His spirit too is not in just one place or under any one doctrine.

:prayingm:

DontHitThatMark

View Profile
History
Posted : 19 Feb, 2013 11:33 AM

Acts 2

44 And all that believed were together, and had all things common;

45 And sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all men, as every man had need.

46 And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart,

47 Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.

:peace::peace:

NRSV1953

View Profile
History
Posted : 19 Feb, 2013 11:39 AM

. . . . . Jesus wept.

NRSV1953

View Profile
History
Posted : 19 Feb, 2013 11:49 AM

my reply above was actually directed to the reply that Sandman last posted.

View Profile
History
Posted : 19 Feb, 2013 01:09 PM

Perhaps the best consensus would go like this:

A true Christian is one who does the will of the Father.

We can tell if a person's beliefs are correct and if their faith is right simply by their works - therefore judged by their fruit.

NRSV1953

View Profile
History
Posted : 19 Feb, 2013 02:44 PM

Sandman,

If you ask a practicing Jew, they would also say that they seek to do the will of the Father.

What differentiates Christians then?

View Profile
History
Posted : 20 Feb, 2013 07:55 AM

I appreciate that question, as that one shows real depth.

My finding is that Jews can do the will of the Father - and rightly so.

Christians make the mistake of competing with other religions but God does NOT.

Just like the Hindu Mahatma Gandhi was a brilliant example of what a true Christian can be, because how a person acts and what any person does is what matters to God.

Mother Teresa gave renewed validity and credibility to the Catholic Church because she showed her faith by her actions (her works).

That is what Jesus described by the hated Samaritan - in that the Priest and Levi were known as high ranking religious leaders but they walked past the wounded man, while the "certain Samaritan" gave help and assistance and compassion for the injured man.

The Samaritan story, Luke 10:30-37

Link = http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke%2010:30-37&version=KJV

Our actions speak louder than our words or our beliefs, and it is our actions that demonstrates what kind of people we are.

So yes - a Jew can do the will of God, as can a Hindu or a Samaritan or a Muslim or anyone can do the will of God, and it is their works that makes them a part of Christ.

God does not compete with other people or with other religions, as it is God's will that all mankind comes to repentance and to salvation. See 2 Peter 3:9 "The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance."

NRSV1953

View Profile
History
Posted : 20 Feb, 2013 02:44 PM

While I appreciate your lecture, this doesn't answer the original question that was posed:

"When you boil it all down, what does a Christian really have to believe? Can you list the one or two criteria that are absolutely required for someone to be considered a Christian?"

I was asking what a Christian needs to believe, not what a Christian needs to do.

The corollary to the posed question stated:

"I am curious to see if such a diverse group of Christians can come to a consensus about the most basic requirement for being a Christian. Remember, Jesus may be reading this too!"

Conclusion: No, such a diverse group of Christians cannot come to a consensus about the most basic requirement for being a Christian.

and. . . "Jesus wept."

View Profile
History
Posted : 4 Aug, 2013 10:31 PM

Mark 1:15 And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel

1. REPENT

2. BELIEVE THE GOSPEL

Reductionism is a disservice. Without understanding the full Biblical meaning and implications of repentance, belief, and the Gospel, the answer is incomplete at best.

Page : 1 2 3