Author Thread: Pre-Nuptual Agreements.
Admin

Pre-Nuptual Agreements.
Posted : 16 Apr, 2009 11:50 AM

Hi Everyone,

Are Pre-Nuptual Agreements biblical?

What are your thoughts, your opinions and why?

Blessings!

Walter

View Profile
History
Pre-Nuptual Agreements.
Posted : 19 Apr, 2009 03:04 PM

No I don't believe pre-nuptual agreements are biblical. They are a recipe for divorce. I think it is obvious the couple already has reservations that the relationship will last. In my opinion it goes against all of God's standards for a covenant relationship. Trust is already breaking which is the foundation of a loving relationship.

View Profile
History
Pre-Nuptual Agreements.
Posted : 23 Apr, 2009 07:36 PM

Pre-nupts are preparing for the divorce before you get married. If you don't trust the person that much, don't marry them! WELL DUH!

gracegrace

View Profile
History
Pre-Nuptual Agreements.
Posted : 26 Apr, 2009 06:00 PM

I agree with Loves comments. It doesn�t seem right to enter into a love relationship with preconceived notions of how it will end. There just seems to be so many sides of this issue to consider though.

Of course, there are legal aspects to marriage, so it is wise to address the legal issues before the changing of legal status. (This is one of many reasons I am a big proponent of premarital counseling.) We tend to assume that a Pre-Nuptial Agreement would be written by the more affluent person with a motive of hoarding their wealth in the case of a divorce. This may or may not be the case. It could be that the person truly wants to make plans to care for the less affluent person without giving away everything. We cannot and should not immediately judge all people who suggest entering into an agreement before marriage without seeing the document.

A Pre-Nuptial Agreement could be in place to address the distribution of assets in the case of a death or other taxable situation, not just divorce. Maybe the parties have children or grandchildren through a previous marriage and they want to make sure they are cared for properly or that a special heirloom is left to their side of the family and not the new spouse�s side.

It could be written to include anything to which the two parties agree. I suppose it could even have an inflation or cost of living clause or address the anticipated jointly accumulated wealth over the period of the marriage if they agreed to include that. It seems to me it is a contract that could be negotiated as any other contract. The problem seems to be that the weaker party may feel they don�t have much negotiating leverage. I agree that the thought of negotiating the terms of a marriage is somewhat distasteful. If neither party has any assets to divide then it probably would not be an issue. It seems reasonable to assume that the issue is only relevant in the case of one or both parties having accumulated assets prior to the marriage.

A Pre-Nuptial Agreement could be enforceable as soon as it is executed before the marriage, so it could be enforced during the engagement period where the law may apply differently concerning one�s estate. If the parties decided to wait until after the marriage to create a Trust or Will but a tragedy happened before this was completed, the law would determine what happens to their assets. If they had a Pre-Nuptial Agreement it would at least create a record of their wishes. It is my understanding that a Pre-Nuptial Agreement is only binding between the two parties executing the document, but may not be binding to any third party so there could be advantages and/or disadvantages to having one.

Each situation and state is different. I�m not a lawyer. These are just my opinions and thoughts.

Your question though was, is it �biblical�.

Jews even today enter into a marriage contract according to the law of Moses and the custom of Israel when they marry. It is usually for the bride�s protection and describes the financial obligations of the groom in the case of death or a divorce. If it is according to the law of Moses maybe it is biblical. I can�t say for certain because I don�t know all the laws of Moses.

I never thought of this before considering this question, but is the Bible itself a Pre-Nuptial Agreement? We�ve all possibly heard the Bible described as God�s love letter to us or as a Last Will and Testament, but could it be considered a Pre-Nuptial agreement? The common thread that runs through the entire Bible is a red one (soaked in Jesus� blood) creating a covenant relationship between God and us often times referred to as a marriage. We�re the Bride of Christ going to the Marriage Supper of the Lamb and Jesus is the Bridegroom.

So, I guess my answer would be �it depends��it depends on what is included in the Agreement and the motive of the individuals. I think it could be biblical if it were written with a pure motive and Christ-like heart and agape concern for one another.

View Profile
History
Pre-Nuptual Agreements.
Posted : 26 Apr, 2009 07:03 PM

Great post, grace.

Well written, and thought-provoking. You may not be an attorney, but you certainly think like one.

I appreciate the fact that you took the time to satisfy all viewpoints, yet maintain impartiality.

God Bless.

View Profile
History
Pre-Nuptual Agreements.
Posted : 29 Apr, 2009 09:37 AM

Greetings Walter4u... Okay your questions were:

View Profile
History
Pre-Nuptual Agreements.
Posted : 29 Apr, 2009 09:41 AM

Excuse me Walt, I've been good at hitting the wrong button lately:zzzz:...Smile...

However, your questions were:

1. Are Pre-Nuptial Agreements biblical?

2. What are your thoughts, your opinions and why?

My Answers:

1. No

2. I feel that Pre-Nuptial Agreements shows a red flag for "insecurity". For it says in Genesis 2:24, "Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh".

Well if they become one flesh, they have "Entered Into One Responsibility" (being "one" for "one another")... What was separated in the beginning, becomes one burden (just as "the joys and pains")... So if you can't enter into the relationship with "trust", there's no need to enter into the relationship.:bow:

1WomanofProverbs*:angel:

View Profile
History
Pre-Nuptual Agreements.
Posted : 15 May, 2009 03:55 PM

dear folks, hey walter.. i recon i am gonna be the outcast here.. as i believe in having a prenuptial agreement made up and legalized..

as i am an ole man and i am not in shape enuff to have to start all over by having to give away what i got to someone if they choose not to stay with me.. with a prenupt if they stay like theyre sposed to do then they will be rewarded when i die.. but im not gonna leave the door open for someone to be rewarded for leaving a marriage..

GOD meant for marriage to be forever.. but the laws we have in place now. well they do work against a man.. and one can leave with no reason at all.. ya know.. and i have seen alot of really good folks turn mean when divorce occurs.. and as some good folks here have said it lacks trust.. i say ok . cause you dont really know someone till youve been married to em hehe .. but it lets you start off your new marriage with a sence of peace.. cause folks can leave in a few days and still get half or more.. so i believe the good LORD wants you to protect and be good stewards of what youve been given by him..

ole cattle

View Profile
History
Pre-Nuptual Agreements.
Posted : 15 May, 2009 10:05 PM

Hi Walter,

I do not know if prenups are biblical, I have seen no scripture that addresses this topic. Personally I would have no problem in signing one, as when I marry it will be til death do us part. If one is planning on being married forever then they should not have a problem with a prenup.

Unfortunately we can not predict another persons behavior and we see Christians divorcing for reasons that are not biblical all the time. So sadly prenups are needed these days.

Blessings, Lydia

TaxMan

View Profile
History
Pre-Nuptual Agreements.
Posted : 25 Sep, 2009 02:37 PM

I'm gonna go ahead and post on an old topic. What the heck, it doesnt get bumped, eh?

I think that they are not UN-biblical.

And I think they are a great idea. Having gotten burned once and knowing that, even if both parties do not wish for the divorce it'll still happen, it is fine.

You have car insurance, dont you? And yet the vehicle is not made to be smashed into a wreck. But much of it's longevity depends on other drivers.

As much as people say "This is how it should be," they can not promise they will not change in 10 years, let alone the other person.

And if one of those people changes into the "Eh..it's ONLY a marriage," type, it's as good as over.

Pointing out that a marriage is a legal contract and the fact that you cant back out of a loan does nothing to sway the process.

I agree with the thought of: If she changes and want to leave me, I shouldnt lose my cool stuff.

That happened last time...fool me once, shame on you.

:)