Author Thread: False advertising....
Admin

False advertising....
Posted : 15 May, 2009 01:54 PM

Hi everyone,

We have all heard the horror stories of friends who have met someone on line and then when they met the man or woman in person, they could not recognize them from their picture.

So my question is this: how do you feel about someone putting an old picture on their profile or one that does not accurately portray them as they look now?

Is it about their looks being different or the fact that they were dishonest and the relationship was based on deception?

What say you on this subject?

In Christ, Lydia

View Profile
History
False advertising....
Posted : 15 May, 2009 03:25 PM

dear lydia, if it was for the better itd be ok as ya know some folks just aint as photogenic as others.. but if it was different as in not even close to what they portrayed then, thatd be a deal breaker for me. as that would be bein deceptive..

ole cattle

View Profile
History
False advertising....
Posted : 15 May, 2009 08:45 PM

Hi Lydia,

That is a good question. I guess it depends on if the difference from the pictures as opposed to real life is better or not so good. It really depends on the significance of the difference. Honesty is the key. I have had those experiences before and it was not pleasant, though I stayed a gentleman all the way through. However I did have a situation where I met someone after seeing pics and many phone calls. When I saw her I was not happy because the pics she took were careful to conceal her true weight and shape and so later I had to confront the dishonesty and she went ballistic and cursed me out like a sailor.

Then I had one who was very pretty and better in person than her pictures and was nice but then went very quiet and cold and then after she got back home "went off on me" for no reason. Later after a few days she called me crying on the phone and apologized for what she said and complimented me for being the Gentleman I was and admitted she was in need of some medication for "emotional issues". (I thought...yeah...no kidding.) She said "I guess I blew all my chances with you". I said yes but we could remain friends.

I have found that while there are some very nice Christians online, there are some that are in need of professional help and are not really ready to date let alone get married. We have to be careful with people online and take the time to get to know them and not rush into anything. Anyone wanting to rush things might be hiding something. Patience is very important especially in long distance dating and you should get lots of pictures, lots and lots of pictures of various poses, and no Glamor Shots and many phone conversations. Look at it this way. if you met someone in real life each of you would see the other person full length and close up. Why should any of us be deprived of that same benefit just because we are online?

Blessings!

Walter

View Profile
History
False advertising....
Posted : 16 May, 2009 04:27 AM

dear folks,

walter your words here

if you met someone in real life each of you would see the other person full length and close up. Why should any of us be deprived of that same benefit just because we are online?

mine here

you make a very good point..

ole cattle

View Profile
History
False advertising....
Posted : 16 May, 2009 09:31 AM

Hi guys,

I agree that is not a good thing to start a relationship with a deception. I have had the experience of meeting someone online having only seen the profile pic, and then after talking a while asked for a current pic. When I received the picture I did not recognize the person from their profile pic. I can only imagine how weird it would have been to meet in person and not know who it is when they are standing in front of you.

I think that no matter how much you like someone, it would be hard to get past the deception and I would wonder what else there might be that they have been dishonest about.

We all want someone who will love us and accept us just the way we are, but how can they if we are not portraying ourselves accurately?

Blessings, Lydia

muhugcy

View Profile
History
False advertising....
Posted : 25 May, 2009 06:51 PM

It would be about the deception for me as well. It's already a little scary to try to get to know someone online w/o the benefit of reading their face or mannerisms, but if they would seek to deceive others about what they look like, what else might they lie about?