Author Thread: Biblical Modesty...
Admin

Biblical Modesty...
Posted : 17 Jul, 2014 02:25 PM

As a Christian your behavior sets the tone for how others see you and your faith. Being modest in your appearance is just as great a witness to those around you as your words. One issue many non-Christians have with believers is that they tend to be hypocritical. If you are preaching purity and modesty to others while wearing revealing clothes you may be seen as a hypocrite. By being modest you allow people to see your inner faith rather than your outer appearance.

1 Peter 2:12 - "Be careful to live properly among your unbelieving neighbors. Then even if they accuse you of doing wrong, they will see your honorable behavior, and they will give honor to God when he judges the world."

1Timothy 2: 1Ti 2:9 " In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with braided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; 10 But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works."

Women: Do you show your cleavage? Does your makeup and hair reflect modesty or do you appear as those of the world without Christ?

Men: Just how tight are your jeans and shirts? How many buttons did you not button on your shirt?

Le 18:17 Thou shalt not uncover the nakedness of a woman and her daughter,

Modesty - what does it mean and what does the Bible say about it?

This is a very important question for every Christian to answer, because we all need to deal with it. Unfortunately, many Believers in the Lord Jesus Christ have chosen to simply adopt the World's standard for what is considered appropriate or modest clothing. However, we understand from Scripture, that God does not want His children conforming to the World's Standards and the World's Philosophies. So, when it comes to dress and clothing styles, we need God's word to show us what is and is not acceptable from God's Holy perspective.

First let's deal with a heart principle that Jesus discussed in Mt 5:28, "But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart." Let's not be blind to human nature! Yes man's sinful nature is attracted to lustful things. True, it's wrong to lust, but it is just as wrong to dress in such a way as to cause others to lust? That's why the apostle Paul says "that women adorn themselves in modest apparel." Of course it's not just the ladies that need to be modest. The men also need to be very careful about what they wear.

Let's consider what is acceptable according to God's word:

It's good to dress clean and neat for church meetings!

Obviously at church work days you have to get a little dirty!

It's good to wear clothing appropriate for the function:

Really nice Clothes for Worship Service

Wedding Clothes if you're going to a wedding, especially if you're the one getting married, by all means wear a fancy wedding gown or tux.

Modest casual shorts and shirts at a church picnic.

Now, let's consider what is NOT acceptable according to God's word:

Revealing clothes that attempt to draw attention to yourself in a sexual way, that begins to reveal your "nakedness" , that will cause others to "lust" or "commit adultery" even in their imagination.

Short's that are Too short, dresses that are too tight or too short

Clothes that begin to reveal what should be covered, such as low necklines and skirts with slits up the side. Many young ladies have fallen to the trend of wearing spaghetti straps that don't cover their under garments. Don't be a temptress!

Read Proverbs 7: Pr 7:10 And, behold, there met him a woman with the attire of an harlot, and subtil of heart.

Some young ladies (and men) will dress to look attractive, but they fail to use Biblical discretion as to what is honoring to God. Consider Proverbs 11:22, As a jewel of gold in a swine's snout, so is a fair woman which is without discretion.

Guys you need to use biblical discretion as well! In the gym class and on the athletic field, tank tops may be appropriate, but not in church services and perhaps not even at casual events. * More to come for the guys

God has given a special relationship for men and women to reveal their bodies to each other. That is the marriage relationship. Hebrews 13:4 "Marriage is honorable in all, and the bed undefiled: but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge."

The harlot of Proverbs 7:10, intentionally dresses in such a way to lure men to her body in a sexual way. This is WRONG! We need to understand that in the setting of the Jewish culture in biblical times, much of the modern ladies clothing that we see today would be even more revealing than the harlot's clothing years ago. Has the nature of men changed? Absolutely not! What has changed is our culture's attitude towards God and His moral Standards and Principles.

What should men and women see when they observe each other? Should they see someone trying to tempt and lure others or should they see "CHARACTER", godliness and clothing that represents inner godliness? For the Christian, this answer should be obvious!

Things to ask yourself about specific clothing:

Am I buying this because I want to look sexy? Don't buy it!

Am I wearing this because I want him/her to look at me and want me in a sexual way? Don't wear it!

Am I trying to draw attention to myself from those of the opposite gender by being immodest or even slightly immodest? Don't do it!

Am I trying to be more like the world and less like Christ? You need to have a heart and attitude change! * Read Romans 12:1 & 2

"I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God."

Other passages to read:

Galatians 5:16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

1John 2:16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

When it comes to the clothing you wear, don't help someone else feed his or her flesh! Be careful what you wear.

You also need to care about others. God's word tells us a number of times not to set "stumbling blocks before our brethren."

1John 2:10 He that loveth his brother abideth in the light, and there is none occasion of stumbling in him.

Romans 14:21 It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.

Key thoughts concerning Biblical Modesty:

Your clothing on the outside should represent godliness on the inside (see 1Tim. 2:9-10).

Your clothing should not be a stumbling block for believers or unbelievers.

Would you feel uncomfortable with what you're wearing or thinking of wearing if our Holy Lord Jesus were standing next to you?

Would the older men & women in the church be offended at what you're wearing?

Some Christians just don't care about others when it comes to modesty, but they are wrong biblically. They may cry out, "but what about my Christian Liberty?" Please turn your attention to what God says in Galatians and Romans:

Galatians 5:13 For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.

Romans 13:14 But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfill the lusts thereof.

One last thought:

When in doubt about a type of clothing fashion, ask one of the godly women or godly men in your church what they think (ladies ask ladies and men ask men).:angel:

View Profile
History
Biblical Modesty...
Posted : 18 Jul, 2014 01:00 AM

Some people dress in certain ways because of excessive pride or a craving for attention then are suddenly "shocked and angry" when they receive completely different kinds of attention. That itself is sinful and selfish in many ways.

And besides which, a woman that shows the world a lot of her body is rarely worth much as a spouse. Everyone knows that and yet willfully dresses as sexually as possible because it "liberates" them... nvm that they gladly place themselves in a different kind of bondage this way.

View Profile
History
Biblical Modesty...
Posted : 18 Jul, 2014 10:46 AM

yep! I agree rambo.

Women should not represent themselves in a manner that contradicts who they are in . I will also say that I have issues with men who dress in tight jeans and thin tight shirts to show off their pecks.

I quit attending a church because the "pastor" was very proud of his body building and wore clothes to show off his work!

We always hear about how women should dress and the men get a free ticket. Ive attended a few churches that would address the women and not the men. Women can be tempted too! :laugh: Scripture is not only clear about modesty but neatness as well.

Represent represent represent!

View Profile
History
Biblical Modesty...
Posted : 18 Jul, 2014 12:35 PM

I still struggle to understand the tight-TIGHT pants thing... how on earth can that be comfortable or not so painful it's difficult to walk? Probably gives new meaning to crushing defeat when he falls over :laugh:.

View Profile
History
Biblical Modesty...
Posted : 19 Jul, 2014 04:34 PM

:laugh:..I dont get it either!!

View Profile
History
Biblical Modesty...
Posted : 8 Dec, 2014 03:54 PM

There are two sides to this. I want to be with a lady. Someone who others find respectable. Possibly she wasn't always perfect. At the point she desires to enter into a Christian relationship I expect a lady. In all things. Now the other side of that. Is that any lady loves to feel attractive and beautiful. There has to be a balance. An acceptance that women enjoy feeling beautiful. A women dressing to be attractive and feminine is incredible. A women dressing to be sexual in public. Is distasteful. Not at all lady like.