Author Thread: Definitions: Pity/Sympathy/Empathy/Compassion/Love, Mercy/Grace/Bless and Present/Gift?
Phoenyx

View Profile
History
Definitions: Pity/Sympathy/Empathy/Compassion/Love, Mercy/Grace/Bless and Present/Gift?
Posted : 24 May, 2009 11:19 AM

Could someone help with this? I�ve been trying to understand the definitions of some words to better understand what is meant. I don�t know if some overlap or not, but here are a few. Please correct any that I used wrongly.

These may be used in different ways, depending on who is feeling it, in the Bible. Here�s a site for an example: http://www.worldevangelicals.org/commissions/wc/compassion.pdf

Pity: Feeling sorrow for a condition which deserves it.

Sympathy: Feeling sorrow for a condition.

Empathy: Feeling what another person feels.

Compassion: Consideration for the condition of a fellow, usually not for an enemy.

Love: Desiring the best for someone/anyone (and/or) compassion expressed?

Mercy: Sparing someone from a deserved punishment.

Grace: Giving someone a blessing that they do not deserve.

Bless: Support or approval for something done.

Present: Something offered.

Gift: Something given.

Phoenyx

View Profile
History
Definitions: Pity/Sympathy/Empathy/Compassion/Love, Mercy/Grace/Bless and Present/Gift?
Posted : 24 May, 2009 11:23 AM

Oops, I posted in the wrong section. Sorry!

View Profile
History
Posted : 16 Jul, 2009 10:39 AM

DEAR PHONEYX, I BELIEVE THAT ALL YOUR DEFINITIONS ARE OKAY APART FROM PITY, WHICH IS OK, ITS JUST THAT, IN MY VIEW, YOU CAN ALSO HAVE PITY FOR THOSE WHO MAY NOT DESERVE A PUNISHMENT.