Author Thread: Think ya gotta scammer?
ian777

View Profile
History
Think ya gotta scammer?
Posted : 4 Jun, 2009 07:32 PM

Well looky what I found here:

http://www.romancescam.com

Yup - if you think you got a scammer on your hands, just head on over there. Peruse the "albums" and oh look! I think I even recognize some of those photos from a couple of places.

The annoying part is, I wouldn't doubt that some of those photos are from innocent people who really did post their pictures on some dating site somewhere and had the photo lifted.

.....maybe that's why I don't get responses to my emails!

Naw - I'm not a good lookin' guy, so I aint too worried about someone pilfering my photo. Haha!

Ian

Linnie41

View Profile
History
Think ya gotta scammer?
Posted : 6 Jun, 2009 12:07 AM

Good site, Ian - Here are some other things to watch for: (I posted this to another question, so if you feel like you've read it before, well, you have. Lol)

When someone writes "hello pretty" or wants your personal email address right away, they are a scammer - I'll guarantee it. You'll get pictures from them - not OF them, but most likely of some model somewhere. If you're not sure, ask them to snap a picture with their phone of them standing next to a blue car or holding up two fingers. Then ask them to download it and send it to you. If they are a scammer, they won't be able to do it - they'll make up some lame excuse, but they can't do it because they don't have access to the person in the picture on their profile.

If you do start talking to someone and suddenly their English doesn't seem nearly as good as it was in their profile, that's also a warning sign. They most likely took the profile from another site, slapped on a gorgeous picture, but aren't able to actually speak (or type) much English. This is another warning sign that they aren't who they say they are.

When IMing, don't be afraid to ask questions that you already know the answer to - if they say they're from Dallas, TX, say "I should know this, but I'm drawing a blank - what football team is from Dallas again?" This is of course, an example - but if it takes them a few minutes to respond, they are looking it up and are probably IMing you from a different country. Feel them out - you can tell in a short amount of time if someone is for real if you know what questions to ask.

And the age old rule - if someone asks you for money, they are either a scammer or very tacky. Either way, they aren't someone you want to be with. And beware - these scammers are trained to play on your emotions. They will tell you anything from they need help with a disconnection notice to their child is very sick. DON'T fall for it. If they really had a disconnect notice or a sick child, do you really think they'd be running to the internet to try to find money? No - they'd be going to family, friends, their church, social services....not the internet.

And just so you know - I've never fallen prey to a scammer. I just like to play with them. I think it's only fitting that they get a dose of their own medicine from time to time.

Blessings and be safe!!

Lynn

ian777

View Profile
History
Think ya gotta scammer?
Posted : 6 Jun, 2009 05:44 AM

I haven't had a lady approach me and say "Hey pretty" yet...:ROFL:

Great tips - thanks.

Ian

View Profile
History
Think ya gotta scammer?
Posted : 6 Jun, 2009 07:04 AM

Ian,

Hey pretty! hehe....

LP

ian777

View Profile
History
Think ya gotta scammer?
Posted : 6 Jun, 2009 07:14 AM

Haha!

Hey - they don't have a "blushing" smiley over there>>>

Ian

Linnie41

View Profile
History
Think ya gotta scammer?
Posted : 6 Jun, 2009 09:06 AM

Lol - I guess this was one-sided. Thankfully I haven't been approached by any female scammers!!

(Ian and Lydia - thanks for the welcome back on the other post - The new ride is great - it's a Crown Victoria and yes, it was a cop car, and yes, it does still have the cop car engine in it - if I were a 16 year old boy, I'd be on cloud nine cause this thing GOES!!! Lol)

ian777

View Profile
History
Think ya gotta scammer?
Posted : 6 Jun, 2009 10:48 AM

Haha! That's awesome Lynne. Bwwwahahahahahaaa! More pahr!

Those crown vics were actually great cars - glad to hear you're doing well.

Ian

View Profile
History
Think ya gotta scammer?
Posted : 14 Jun, 2009 05:19 AM

Lynn, that is hilarious yet very true. You've described them to a perfect "T".

What I do when I get the deceptive sales pitch is ask a lot of detailed questions.. you know when they ask you to cash a check immediately request a govt. issued photo ID that you can send to the proper authorities.

Another good idea someone posted is to ask them to snap a picture quick with your user ID on it, possibly the date and send it to you.

As always, log the entire conversation(if it is on yahoo or what chat client you use) and email it all over to the admins here.) They'll be gone soon enough.

I'd try to have more fun with them too and really let on that I'll definitely help them cash a check but time is too precious.

God bless and be safe online.

tristan07

View Profile
History
Think ya gotta scammer?
Posted : 14 Jun, 2009 11:44 AM

OH NO! IM ON THERE LIKE 5 TIMES! QUCK! NO ONE TALK TO ME!!!!! j/k

Scary site, should be helpful for ppl new to this, Like i was not long ago.