Author Thread: i love you
ayngrady

View Profile
History
i love you
Posted : 11 Jun, 2009 07:11 PM

Ok i'll bite( not really) I have dated like 8 guys from here and all except one has claimed that they were in love with me and shut their accounts down even before we went out on the first date. Even though I am flattered by this, and it shows me that they are willing to give us a chance, I dont understand this practice of saying I love you. k.ayn

ian777

View Profile
History
i love you
Posted : 11 Jun, 2009 07:32 PM

Well I have to put in my toosense here (I know, I know - i've been posting like mad here today)

Men and women (apparently) mean very different things by the words "I love you" except when they're actually married.

We had one of our speakers at DTS explain it - "Guys: When you say 'I love you' what the ladies here is 'I am commited to you.'"

I'll let you ladies chime in here, but in the class, he asked the ladies, and they agreed.

Men instinctively want to say "I love you" when they have strong feelings for a woman. It does not necessarily mean commitment. Unfortunately, this is one area where c-o-m-m-u-n-i-c-a-t-i-o-n between menz and womenz gets derailed.

in fact, I had one friend take a step farther: "You should not tell a woman you love her, unless the next words coming out of your mouth are 'Will you marry me?'"

I don't know if I agree with that or not. I guess I'll toss this back to the ladies - even though this is in the "Ask a guy" forum, I think this is a very important question for the ladies:

What do you hear when a man says "I love you" to you? What does that mean to you? How do you translate that?

Oh - and K.Ayn; are you familiar with scammers? What you're describing sounds to me like scammers - see the post under "Advice on love and dating" and the post titled "You think you got a scammer?"

Scammers are people who post fake profiles on here, approach people (when they approach the ladies, they seem to lay it on thick - "Hey baby - you're beautiful") and try to get them to give them money. They use pilfered photos from romance sites.

Ian

ayngrady

View Profile
History
i love you
Posted : 11 Jun, 2009 07:37 PM

thanks ian. these are guys i have gone out with, but i have had scammers too. i have reported hem and guess what? they are still on here. hmmm.

View Profile
History
i love you
Posted : 11 Jun, 2009 07:50 PM

dear ian,

your quote here

"You should not tell a woman you love her, unless the next words coming out of your mouth are 'Will you marry me?'"

mine here

lol man thats my new philosophy hehe thats pretty close to bein right id say. cut down alot of heartache..

ole cattle

ayngrady

View Profile
History
i love you
Posted : 11 Jun, 2009 08:50 PM

i totally agree with you. the next time a guy says I love you, ill say wheres the ring? and watch him run. k.ayn

gracefreedme

View Profile
History
i love you
Posted : 12 Jun, 2009 03:27 AM

I agree with ole cattle. the words " I Love You " have been so misused in our society today that they just don't seem to have as much meaning anymore.

View Profile
History
i love you
Posted : 12 Jun, 2009 02:34 PM

ian asked what do women think?

if a man says i love you, i'm not expecting a ring or lifetime commitment. i am expecting that we are NOT on dating web sites, looking around, dating other people. and we do something weekly and talk every few days, which is my definition of "commitment" for single people.

After being married for 26 years, and being divorced because he wanted to be single (turned 50, etc.), it would take more words than I LOVE YOU, for me to consider a ring that i didn't buy for myself.

View Profile
History
i love you
Posted : 12 Jun, 2009 06:44 PM

dear kayn , lol you prolly right bout that girl hehe

ole cattle