Author Thread: What I saw that made me cry in public today:
Admin

What I saw that made me cry in public today:
Posted : 24 Jun, 2009 09:49 AM

I have a small business. I train dogs for the physically challenged. Not just any dogs, but "last chance" dogs...some scheduled for euthanasia, some too old, too this or too that to "belong anywhere" really. I get some work from the State but most of it comes from the shelters I work with and word of mouth...

Today...I went for a walk in the scorching midday sun (one of three daily walks). The kind of hot where even dogs don't meander too long on black topped surfaces. We were actually en route home when I saw it:

An older lady with greying wisps in her dark hair and lines of wisdom on her face bent over a young child that looked to be about seven. Obviously handicapped in some way this young boy was seated in something akin to a "baby walker" and tethered to the front of the walker were two ropes. The two ropes were slowly and painstakingly being gently tugged on by this lady who toiled tirelessly but with much patience to cajole and coax this young child to take tiny baby steps.

Watching from a distance I slipped a cookie into my dogs mouth as my mind questioned what must be the story behind this young childs need for the walker. It seemed like each step took an eternity but the lady could be heard urging the youngster to take yet another...just one more step. I watched as his feet (turned inward at very odd angles) flipped over one another and felt my nose burn as tears welled and threatened to course down my cheeks in the dry, hot sun. I knew as I watched the boys face that he was more enthralled with nature - the trees, bugs and flowers - than the walk itself ...and I got it: What a love this lady must have for this child who was probably very unaware that while he was taking in the beauty of the moment - this lady was working to see a day when he might be able to take all of those steps on his own...without a walker, ropes or even a reason - other than he wanted to be out in the middled of nature sun and all.

Suddenly the lady turned, smiling broadly as the lad, with some trouble, gurgled out the word, "dauwwg", pointing at Daddy who had by now swallowed his treat practically whole and was ready to spring into action, pull the cart, me and the lady as he's been trained to do.

"Big Dog" the lady told the boy, which he echoed.

"Big baby" I said .

Long story short: The lady told me her name and introduced me to Todd (her grandson). She explained that Todd's mom had been killed in the same accident that left him broken and unexpected to walk anytime soon. She shared that he had also suffered some brain injuries but assured me he has come a long long way.

As I walked away, I have no doubt in my mind that young Todd is going to go all the way and in no small part because of someone God placed in his life to care. I was reminded on this day that when we go out expecting to do or see one thing, God allows us to see something else that speaks to his love and dedication to those of us who many once thought were least likely to make it.

Thank you God! ... and thank you to all the mothers and daddies and granparents - the caregivers who give of themselves for the benefit of the children of the world. Thank you!

slj3_1

View Profile
History
Posted : 25 Jun, 2009 09:18 PM

Oh Elsie!

What a wonderful story! I have one if you don't mind.

I used to drive a school bus for MR/DD and I use to pick up a young girl who happened to be the same age as my youngest daughter. This girl was in a wheelchair but was not mentally challenged. She went to a regular school and I just drove her back and forth.

The first day I took her home, there was no one at her house to help her. When I questioned her she stated it was ok, so I let her down the lift and pushed her into her yard. There was no wheelchair ramp. I watched as she took her back pack and threw it up and onto the porch. Then she lifted herself out of her chair and dragged herself up those steps!

I cried all the way home.

I also thanked God for whole heathy children and for my own legs that work fine.

God Bless you, Sndy

Linnie41

View Profile
History
Posted : 26 Jun, 2009 12:25 AM

Elisee and Sandy - I would have been crying, too! (Okay, actually, I did cry when reading these. )

If neither of you mind, I'm going to add to the stories:

When my son was about 4, we were in the grocery store. He was in the front of the cart, and as we were shopping, a man walked by. He had something seriously wrong with one of his eyes - an abscess maybe. After he walked by, my son whispered, "Mommy! What was wrong with his eye?!?" I told him I didn't know, and he said, "I'm going to pray for him, okay?" I told him I thought that would be a wonderful idea.

I watched as my son folded his hands in the shopping cart, bowed his head, and prayed for a good 3 minutes (which is a long time for a 4 year old!!) He then lifted his head and was BEAMING - ear to ear smiles!

Now I know that you're aware that if you hide something under a cup and tell a child that you made it disappear, they are going to want to lift the cup to see for themselves. However, not once did my son want to go look for this guy in the store to see if God had healed his eye. He didn't need to, because he KNEW beyond a doubt that God had done it.

I firmly believe there is a man walking around today with a fully healed eye wondering how it happened - and I know that it was from the faith of a child.

Blessings,

Lynn

slj3_1

View Profile
History
Posted : 26 Jun, 2009 08:30 PM

Dear Lynn.

Oh wonderful it is to witness the fruits of our labor in our own children!

Your story (testimony) lets us all know that you are raising your children in a Godly manner.

I thank God for mothers like you.

God Bless,Sandy

View Profile
History
Posted : 18 Jul, 2009 01:56 PM

well that made me cry. Thank you.

I remember the days of working SO hard to get my daughter to walk or talk. The nights of crying because I knew it was SUCH a struggle. Now she is 18 and walks okunless you look closely enough and talks with slurred speech but she talks. ALL the struggles were so worth it to me and I would do them for the next 100 years if it meant she would do better so people would not look down on her. I would give ANYTHING to take away her pain and loneliness and her feeling that nobody will ever love her.

For anyone with a healthy child you are blessed never forget that but I was blessed by this gift from God and I will NEVER forget that