Author Thread: Mental Illness, addictions, and abuse
Admin

Mental Illness, addictions, and abuse
Posted : 4 Feb, 2019 12:37 PM

I'm learning a lot about why marriages are failing at such high rates across the world. It's shocking how mental illness, abuse, and addictions are destroying not only marriages, but entire families.

My own 24 year marriage ended due to my ex-husband's mental illness, mental/verbal/physical abuse, severe addictions, compulsive lying, cheating...you name it - he did it. At one time, I believed that all marriages that failed were the fault of both people in the marriage. It wasn't until my ex-husband decided he wanted a divorce (even though I was a good wife and mother), that I realized sometimes marriages fail because of just one person. I was so naïve! The other spouse may not have wanted a divorce and may have been a victim. Mental illness and addictions can consume a person to the point that they no longer live in the real world and aren't able to make good decisions or be in loving relationships. Watching a loved one become ensnared in addiction and illness is heartbreaking and devastating.

For those of you who have a marriage that ended because your spouse suffers from mental illness, is abusive, or has addictions, how are you coping? Have you maintained a friendship with your ex?

Chioniso

View Profile
History
Posted : 19 Feb, 2019 04:45 AM

Its so painful to realise that the devil has managed to destroy your marriage in such a way. As for me its nothing of the above but I got so touched. Our God hates divorces but you had no choice. My advice is that if you feel you can still be friend with your ex, why cant you pray for him and even take him to church. May be eventually he will realise his mistakes and will be transformed , hence saved his life. The devil came to steal, destruct and to kill. May the Lord have mercy on him.

View Profile
History
Posted : 19 Feb, 2019 05:03 PM

I have been praying for him the entire 27+ years I have known him, and I will continue to do so. Mental illness does not always accommodate friendship after a divorce. He is unable to maintain a stable or healthy friendship, so there is no way I will invite the abuse back into my life through having a friendship relationship with him.

I wasn't seeking advice. I was simply asking what others are doing who are in similar situations.