Author Thread: prosperity gospel?
Admin

prosperity gospel?
Posted : 27 Aug, 2009 06:07 AM

If god truly works according to a 30 fold 60 fold or a hundred fold return on gifts given to him,why dont these same ministries simply give away all of thier assets,in order to get a hundred fold back ? If this pyramid scheme of a doctrine were true they would never have to ask for money if they simply followed their own teaching!This parable in mathew refers to the sowing of beleivers in christ,not riches for you!

View Profile
History
prosperity gospel?
Posted : 28 Aug, 2009 02:37 AM

dear steven, i think if one is giving with the expectation of what they will get in return then i dont believe youll recieve blessings at all. cause youre not giving with a cheerful heart.. youre giving grudginly if youre expecting something in return.. if weve been blessed with something to be able to give then we should give to bless others and not worry so much about self ..

ole cattle

View Profile
History
prosperity gospel?
Posted : 28 Aug, 2009 04:50 AM

That is exactly how I feel brother,you hit the nail on the head!

In Christ

Steven:applause:

View Profile
History
prosperity gospel?
Posted : 30 Aug, 2009 09:13 PM

I think the core problem isn't giving grudgingly or with a happy heart, but where God fits into all of this. Does the fact I happily gave $10,000 to charity disqualify God's plans for me to go live in poverty to reach the lost there?

Well, treating God like an impersonal force would imply that God has no essential, or individual plans that might conflict with my own, and therefore giving $10,000, like karma, will come back to me 100 fold. Sure, that makes sense. But what if God is not an impersonal force at all, but a personal Creator who has an individual plan for my life? Well, then I guess the idea that God blesses people according to how much they give is not necessarily false, but it does not mean something material in every situation.

1 Thus says the LORD:

� Heaven is My throne,

And earth is My footstool.

Where is the house that you will build Me?

And where is the place of My rest?

2 For all those things My hand has made,

And all those things exist,�

Says the LORD.

� But on this one will I look:

On him who is poor and of a contrite spirit,

And who trembles at My word.

(Isaiah 66)

View Profile
History
prosperity gospel?
Posted : 31 Aug, 2009 04:30 PM

Thats right theologician(by the way,cool name)I agree with that too,god is sovereign over all,so basically we can go back to good old common sense on this one.Work hard do the right things,follow christs teaching,give as you are able,and dont worry wether god chooses to prosper you or allow your suffering to bless others or teach you something you need to know!I just dont like "christians" who concentrate all their energy on how to receive blessings from god,this is not the gospel,and thats my main point!

In Christ

Steven

View Profile
History
prosperity gospel?
Posted : 31 Aug, 2009 04:58 PM

Thanks, I got the impression you were saying basically the same thing, I just wanted to add my two rubles to the discussion.

The prosperity doctrine has always bothered me because it focuses so much on material things - it's a different edge of materialism, saturated with mysticism. We don't know why God does what He does, but we know how to manipulate the flow of God's blessing, according to prosperity. The key to unlocking the mystery lies in the foundation of the doctrine.

9 For we are God�s fellow workers; you are God�s field, you are God�s building. 10 According to the grace of God which was given to me, as a wise master builder I have laid the foundation, and another builds on it. But let each one take heed how he builds on it. 11 For no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. 12 Now if anyone builds on this foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw, 13 each one�s work will become clear; for the Day will declare it, because it will be revealed by fire; and the fire will test each one�s work, of what sort it is. 14 If anyone�s work which he has built on it endures, he will receive a reward. 15 If anyone�s work is burned, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.

(1 Corinthians 3)

When that fire comes, the ones who are left standing will be the ones who found the "old road";

26 For you see your calling, brethren, that not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called. 27 But God has chosen the foolish things of the world to put to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to put to shame the things which are mighty; 28 and the base things of the world and the things which are despised God has chosen, and the things which are not, to bring to nothing the things that are, 29 that no flesh should glory in His presence.

(1 Corinthians 1)

Well, if I be a fool, I be a fool for Christ. :laugh: