Author Thread: Longing Vs. God
xoflagirlxo02

View Profile
History
Longing Vs. God
Posted : 29 Aug, 2009 07:06 PM

Someone else may have already asked this, but it's weighing heavily on my mind and rather than search through all the topics I thought I'd just ask.

Do you think that if you're meant to be single you would have a deep longing for a partner in your life?? Basically I have a HUGE longing for a partner. I want the husband, the kids, the house, the dog, the llama, etc. That need has been in me for as long as I can remember. Do you think if God wanted me to be alone forever that I'd have that longing????? I'm just curious as to what you think.... Thanks!

Liz

View Profile
History
Longing Vs. God
Posted : 29 Aug, 2009 07:26 PM

"Delight in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart."

If you are following Him with everything in you, and that desire is there, then He put it there for a reason... Not to disappoint you.

Your job is to just pursue Him and work on the whole "patience" thing (let's all gag in unison!). If we make Him our focus, everything else will fall into place.

So, what I'm trying to say... Don't sweat it, He's in control, He loves you, and He will give you the desires of you heart.

Yay! And we're all happy about that one. :)

View Profile
History
Longing Vs. God
Posted : 30 Aug, 2009 08:11 PM

People are people. We want stuff, we want companionship, we want love, etc...

Jonah wanted to go to Tarshish. God wanted Jonah to go to Nineveh. God won out in the end. The lesson learned: what we want isn't always what God wants.

View Profile
History
Longing Vs. God
Posted : 30 Aug, 2009 08:16 PM

That is so true, thelogician.

View Profile
History
Longing Vs. God
Posted : 9 Sep, 2009 10:41 AM

I've often wondered this myself. . .

Praisebassist8706

View Profile
History
Longing Vs. God
Posted : 15 Sep, 2009 01:00 AM

Well God DID say that it was not good for man to be alone, and though Adam was in the constant presence of God he still felt loneliness and longed for a mate. There has been some debate amongst men as to whether this was Adam's physical or emotional longing for a mate...but for now let's just say it was the emotional longing =)

I don't think the "gift of singleness" entitles one to have no sexual or emotional connection desires...but rather the ability to look past or find no need for satisfaction from a mate, but rather that they have devoted themselves fully to God's service (also...emphasis on SERVICE, having the "gift of singleness" because you like to party or are hard to get along with isn't what we're talking about here lol).

God knows that his will is what is best for us if we choose to obey, and that's what we need to focus on...his will. If you have the "gift of singleness" I'm pretty sure you know it.

View Profile
History
Longing Vs. God
Posted : 12 May, 2011 09:15 PM

Well stated. Yay God!!!