Author Thread: Questions regarding plural marriages..
TaxMan

View Profile
History
Questions regarding plural marriages..
Posted : 24 Sep, 2009 09:32 AM

First off, let me preface this by stating that I'm not looking for an in to have more than one wife. One at a time is more than enough, thank you!

I’m hoping that one of you scholarly theologians can help educate a fairly new Christian.

I went and asked a Chaplain this question (Baptist) and got one answer and asked another Chaplain (Liturgical) and got a different answer. SO, I’m thinking that this may be one of those things thats not really known.

Anyhow, what I was curious about is the monogamy promoted in the Bible is apparent. However, in the Old Testament it is clear that several key players had multiple wives and it seems to even be encouraged by God.

The Baptist stated that in the OT this was simply against God’s will and proof of imperfect relationship between God and humans. But then there is, as I mentioned, times when it seems this was condoned.

The Liturgical Chaplain told me that this was not only OK in the OT, but encouraged via the “Go forth and multiply,” command given.

This is just one of the things that I figure someone could shed a little light on for me.

The background of my Biblical knowledge is that I'm doing my first read through and have just completed Job.

Thanks for your help and, please, go easy on me!

-David

View Profile
History
Posted : 24 Sep, 2009 12:44 PM

The prohabition was for Kings because women can cause leaders to stray from what God wants them to do. This happened to Solomon, 1 Kings 11:4.

Deut. 17:15

�you may indeed set a king over you whom the Lord your God will choose. One from among your brothers you shall set as king over you.

Deu 17:17, ...Neither shall he multiply wives to himself, that his heart turn not away:

The Old Testament was given to the Hebrews but it is also a teaching to for us to remember God's ways.

- 1Cr 10:1 -

"I don't want you to forget, dear brothers and sisters,* what happened to our ancestors in the wilderness long ago. God guided all of them by sending a cloud that moved along ahead of them, and he brought them all safely through the waters of the sea on dry ground.

1Cr 10:11 ...Now all these things happened unto them for ensamples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come.

In the Old Testament man was told to be fruitful and multiply. There may have been more of a need for wives than there is today.

In the church, an elder is to be the husband of one wife. Which follows the pattern that those in leadership should not have multiple wives. And for every Christian, if Jesus is the King of Kings, we are a Nation of Kings and Priests, Revelation 1:6.

What it shows indirectly is that a man can impregnate several women at the same time but a woman can not bear fruit for several men at the same time. which may explain why men are more prone to wander. And if you are a king or have money you are more able to keep more than one woman. But the bible seems to indicate having more than one wife can distract you from doing God's will.

"But I want you to be without care. He who is unmarried cares for the things of the Lord--how he may please the Lord.

But he who is married cares about the things of the world--how he may please his wife." 1 Corinthians 7:32-33.

:waving:

TaxMan

View Profile
History
Posted : 25 Sep, 2009 12:58 AM

Hmm...you have all kinds of interesting points there. I think I need to read on some of the passages you mentioned and re-read what it is that you wrote.

Thanks for your time!!

evona

View Profile
History
Posted : 26 Sep, 2009 07:14 PM

Genesis 2:24:" For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and they will become one flesh"

WIFE, NOT WIVES

:angel:

evona

View Profile
History
Posted : 26 Sep, 2009 07:19 PM

1 Timothy 3:2

` "Now the overseer must be above reproach,the husband of but one wife."

Here Paul equates being above reproach having one wife.

1 Timothy 3:12

"A deacon must be the husband of but one wife."

This is the New Testament, and, yes just because someone did someone did something in the OT, it was condoned by God.

David committed adultery and murde,did God condone that?

Titus 1:6

"AN elder must be blameless,the husband of but one wife.":angel:

:waving:

God bless and strengthen you as you serve Him

daniel12345

View Profile
History
Posted : 27 Sep, 2009 07:59 AM

Dear David,

I do not remember any example where God actually encourage polygamy. Care to point out where?

Note: even though the Moses law given to Israel seems to encourage polygamy, there is no one verse to say that polygamy is allowable, and never is it stated that God permits polygamy, polygamy is the result of stubborn heart, not a God's will. God had made it clear from the start, 1 man 1 wife (Gen. 2:24).

View Profile
History
Posted : 27 Sep, 2009 01:33 PM

Dear David,

I do not remember any example where God actually encourage polygamy. Care to point out where?

Daniel :waving:

Just for the record, I did not say God or the Old Testament Law encouraged polygamy. But since you

Asked, the twelve tribes of Israel would never have existed if Jacob did not have two wives and two concubines. God can make good out of a bad situation.

And Polygamy was found with those who were (worldly) wealthy. And the bibles says you cannot server two masters,

God and money. Why add more masters in the form several wives?

The bible says the man does not have authority over his own body but the wife does 1 Cor 7:4. A man cannot give this

�duty of marriage,� over to more than one woman, Exodus 21:10. It is simply not possible. If the woman was given

to the man as a help �meet.� More wives do not mean extra help. Two woman under the same roof spells trouble.

:peace:

View Profile
History
Posted : 28 Sep, 2009 05:27 AM

How much help (help-meet) does a man need? Women can be intoxicating to men. It is like alcoholic drinking. You take one and yes it can have a healing medicinal effect. But by consuming greater quantities of alcohol and/or wives it becomes toxic and makes the man loose his control and common sense.

:purpleangel:

daniel12345

View Profile
History
Posted : 28 Sep, 2009 06:53 AM

Sorry David, the post is meant for David of Taxman not Davesnotslave.

TaxMan

View Profile
History
Posted : 29 Sep, 2009 09:26 AM

While I can not point out any quotes stating that men should have more than one wife, it seems clear by the blessings that followed people around.

David, being a man after God's own heart had many. And while he DID commit sins that were blatant, he was penitent for those sins and not of having multiple wives, that I found.

Solomon, whom I believed was blessed, had not only 700 wives but HUNDREDS of concubines (lovers) in addition, at the time of him turning from the Lord. No mention seems to be made of any displeasure linked to think, only that "And his wives turned away his heart," which DID bring about grief.

As I said, I can not point out where it was particularly said that it's OK to have lots of women as wives. But the OT trend seems to have been fairly swift punishments for unholy acts and great blessings for strictly following the law.

TaxMan

View Profile
History
Posted : 29 Sep, 2009 09:29 AM

By the way, I appreciate your input. I'm not trying to make waves, but I'm not getting answers here, so I figure the Internet would help!

I'm not certain this is the most important topic around, but I have been curious for quite some time.

:)

Page : 1 2