Author Thread: Questions regarding plural marriages..
TaxMan

View Profile
History
Questions regarding plural marriages..
Posted : 24 Sep, 2009 09:32 AM

First off, let me preface this by stating that I'm not looking for an in to have more than one wife. One at a time is more than enough, thank you!

I’m hoping that one of you scholarly theologians can help educate a fairly new Christian.

I went and asked a Chaplain this question (Baptist) and got one answer and asked another Chaplain (Liturgical) and got a different answer. SO, I’m thinking that this may be one of those things thats not really known.

Anyhow, what I was curious about is the monogamy promoted in the Bible is apparent. However, in the Old Testament it is clear that several key players had multiple wives and it seems to even be encouraged by God.

The Baptist stated that in the OT this was simply against God’s will and proof of imperfect relationship between God and humans. But then there is, as I mentioned, times when it seems this was condoned.

The Liturgical Chaplain told me that this was not only OK in the OT, but encouraged via the “Go forth and multiply,” command given.

This is just one of the things that I figure someone could shed a little light on for me.

The background of my Biblical knowledge is that I'm doing my first read through and have just completed Job.

Thanks for your help and, please, go easy on me!

-David

daniel12345

View Profile
History
Questions regarding plural marriages..
Posted : 30 Sep, 2009 09:40 AM

Dear David,

To understand why some persons have multiple wives yet seems to receive the blessing of God, we need to understand the sovereign God. God is sovereign in His Blessings. He is the father of all (Malachi 2:20). If he only bless the sinless then no one will get bless for everyone has sinned and deserve to be dead. He is the perfect God, He loves all man (Matt 5:44-48).

Page : 1 2