Author Thread: Old Time Christian music
annag011443

View Profile
History
Old Time Christian music
Posted : 6 Oct, 2009 11:35 AM

Hi. My name is Ann and I've been singing since I was 3 yrs old giving unsolicited solos in church until at the age of 5 they decided thay may as well put me on the platform and that's how I started. That was 63 yrs ago and I have noticed that the good old-fashioned Christian music is falling by the wayside and that's a real shame. I think you can take an ole hymn with the same message and make it new again to appeal to the younger audience. Any opinions? I have a few recorded and some of the newer stuff as well as some secular love songs, country. I love it all but the old-time hymns are everlasting.:angel:

Would love other folks opinion and input and maybe you could check out a couple of my songs on youtube.

View Profile
History
Old Time Christian music
Posted : 8 Oct, 2009 08:58 AM

I love the classics, especially The Old Rugged Cross.

At the same time I feel that sometimes musick and sound scapes need to take on new forms in order to reach new crowds.

I.E. You more than likely will not get the Hot Topic, Rebel Without a Cause, Teen Angst crowed wooed over by singing from the old hymnals...

...given all the hypocrisy and evil done in the name of Christianity, it is going to be very hard to achieve that, though on the other hand if you use a medium such as Hip-Hop, Industrial, Punk, or what have you, they may be lured in by the sound, and then later, hopefully, inspired by the message of the words.

None the less, regardless of the "Dismal Tide" that approaches, regardless of the declining number of people that are sensitive to such beauty such as the classics you are speaking of, I hope beyond hope that people such as your self that have a passion for them, keep them alive and sing them to your heart's delight! After all, even though my musick tastes very, I never grow tired of them and I'm sure there are many others out there who love the wisdom of those songs as well!

annag011443

View Profile
History
Old Time Christian music
Posted : 8 Oct, 2009 06:19 PM

I agree that Christian music needs to appeal to all ages, and maybe some change is necessary. I'm not adverse to change, God knows I've had to over the years. The old hymns appealed to me as a child and appeal to me still. Whatever we need to do to reach the youth of America then I'm all for that. I met one of the "Power Team" if you've ever heard of them. They are a group of Christian bodybuilders that use their "talent" to attract the youth all over the world and then talk to them about The Lord and His love for us all. They are dynamic in their approach and successful in their results. I just don't want the old hymns to die out and be forgotten. The message is still the same becasue God never changes, we are the ones who change.

View Profile
History
Old Time Christian music
Posted : 9 Oct, 2009 11:06 AM

Amen to that sister! :)

You know I was thinking after I posted my response...

...there is adaptation, and then their is crossing over.

I've seen this in churches, where girls are all dressed up very revealing, like Britney Spears, dancing erotically, like Britney Spears, and singing in the fashion of Briney Spears.

While Britney Spears musick makes me want to vomit, I see no harm in emulating the style to communicate and hopefully spread the Christian Experience, though the provocative dress and dancing that these girls are emulating is indeed crossing the line of merely being in the world but not of it...

So while I encourage the adoption of new mediums to transmit the experience, be it subversively or overtly, we must be on guard that while doing so, we don't cross the lines and totally sell our selves out.

View Profile
History
Old Time Christian music
Posted : 10 Oct, 2009 01:44 PM

It is the Spiritual force behind the music that stirs hearts, draws people near, feeds ones soul. Music is a Spiritual force. It is inhabited by the Spirit of the one who wrote and or sings it...which is then fed into your soul via the hearing route......our eyes and ears being the route which feeds directly into our souls.

The old time music is powerfully anointed (full of God) because the ppl were. Gimmicky, catchy tactics don't change hearts or lives. The Anointing does. That is what draws ppl near.

Pure heart = great music be it 1945 or 2009.

God Bless, SweetyPie049

View Profile
History
Old Time Christian music
Posted : 10 Oct, 2009 01:46 PM

Indeed!

View Profile
History
Old Time Christian music
Posted : 11 Oct, 2009 10:49 PM

Hi Ann. My name is Wanda. I agree with you that the traditional gospel is not sung much in most churches these days. I think generally speaking, that they are more suited to congregational singing than many of the contemporary songs. The old ones have been sung so much that they have become so common and many sing the words without much thought as to the beauty and eloquence of them. I'm glad that some singers/groups still include one or two of them on their CDs. One thing I have noticed is that a very few churches advertise singing the old gospel songs to contemporary music, like to the tunes of well known rock/pop songs. That appeals to a younger crowd, I would think. I have never attended a church that does this, but I think it would be fun to hear it done.

View Profile
History
Old Time Christian music
Posted : 11 Oct, 2009 10:51 PM

Ann, I forgot to ask how to find you on YouTube.

annag011443

View Profile
History
Old Time Christian music
Posted : 13 Oct, 2009 11:49 AM

There is "dance" and then there is "sleaze." As Christians, it is our responsibility to teach the youth the difference. A church is no greater than the youth members in it. They are our future and we must "lead" them and "guide" them, but too, we must support them and provide leadership for every aspect of their lives, not just while they are in church.

God grants us the intelligence and wisdom to know how to train young people, yet listen to what they have to say, for most young people possess great intuition and substance that we as adults can learn and we learn so much from them.

They want and need our guidance, whether it be in the area of music or community leadership. It's with us to get them started in their service to the Lord.

eric198375

View Profile
History
Old Time Christian music
Posted : 7 Dec, 2009 12:11 AM

There are some contemporary guys in worship music that are recording hymns that appeal to younger people. I can't tell you who they are off the top of my head because I don't listen to them but I have heard them.