Author Thread: For current or ex-military members
Admin

For current or ex-military members
Posted : 12 Oct, 2009 12:11 AM

There have been pleanty of experiences i've had since being in the army that have mostly been nothing but loneliness and/or discomfort, in deployments, korea, having nobody nearby that cares and understands you. I'm not a dirt bag soldier, and i try to get out of my room when i can, but sometimes can't cuz of my budget and 'town' is really far away. And when i can't and i'm just sitting here in front of my computer the question always resurfaces:

Was it worth joining or did I just throw 6 years of my life away?

View Profile
History
Posted : 17 Sep, 2010 07:41 PM

Have you talked to your chaplain about your concerns? I am curious as to how he or she counseled you? I am a chaplain candidate right now and would appreciate your response.

teach_ib

View Profile
History
Posted : 17 Oct, 2010 06:32 PM

I can say it was worth my 4 years in ROTC, and 25 years of active and reserve duty. And, even though I have retired from the Air Force, I am still serving the men and women around the world in a job very similar to what I did while on active duty.

I didn't grow up with any thoughts of joining the military until I was in my senior year of high school...even though my father is retired Air Force. At my 4-6 year point, I thought about separating...the military life can take a toll on you because you're always moving, making friends and leaving, separated from your family, working odd hours, not just working in your specialty, but also doing all those 'other duties as assigned.'

I saw the struggle with younger military men and women serving alongside government and contractor civilians. Who went home at 5 pm when the computers crashed?? Not the military. Who did the weeds and seeds details because the military couldn't pay for landscaping? Who got tagged for all the other jobs that weren't in the duty descriptions of the civlians??? And then there's the salary difference...

Sure these can be discouraging, but not everyone can say they served in the world's best military, made the cut above the thousands who wanted to serve but couldn't make it through basic training.

I look around and see the quality of the young men and women serving in the military and those who have chosen other paths. There is a difference! I know I can trust someone like you with my life...on or off the 'battlefield.'

Think back to the men and women who served before us...who didn't have the luxury of the internet. Look forward to the opportunities only someone with your character and training can fulfill.

The Marines say "the Few, the Proud" but every military member is a member of an elite group of people.

Keep Romans 8:28 in mind...

God bless

Page : 1 2