Author Thread: Holiday strategies
Admin

Holiday strategies
Posted : 15 Nov, 2009 05:33 AM

OK, all those who've had relationship hopes dashed this past year or so - what can we be doing to maintain our composure and a resilient attitude of gratitude? Thanksgiving is upon us, and Christmas is in the wings.

Personally, I'm reading Paul's letters in "The Message", and torturing my piano.

P

View Profile
History
Holiday strategies
Posted : 15 Nov, 2009 09:16 AM

I will probably work. It seems to be a good hiding place. I must keep my composure. It's my emotional respite. Plus, it gives my co-workers with families of their own the ability to spend time with them.

Thanks for the post! With love,

T

Tarasye

View Profile
History
Holiday strategies
Posted : 15 Nov, 2009 09:34 AM

BrownEyedGirl, I usually do that too, but this year, I am sad to say, I have canceled the holidays. I know that makes me a bit of a scrooge, but I have been working on these home renovations and there is just no way that trees, and holiday lights and baking and cooking mixes all that well with drywall, paint and saw dust. So this year as I thank the Lord for my blessings, I think I will work on this one He has given me for shelter, that these dark red mahogany hard wood floors will shine unto His Glory, for as I finish them, they sure are pretty.

Tarasye

View Profile
History
Holiday strategies
Posted : 15 Nov, 2009 09:52 AM

Oh WOW!! I bet they are beautiful!! I love hardwood floors!!

I've been considering instead of receiving Christmas presents, asking my friends and loved ones if they'd just buy a present for an angel on the Angel Tree.

One year, my ex-husband and I decided to buy a family Christmas presents and food and the whole she-bang, instead of buying each other Christmas presents. When we told our family and friends what we were doing, they said not to get them presents and to just add to the family in need.

It was the best Christmas EVER!! Not only do you feel good on Christmas Day, but it makes you feel good all year!! Especially if you get to see that child wearing some clothes you bought for them or something like that!! It's great!!

:yay:

bcpianogal

View Profile
History
Holiday strategies
Posted : 15 Nov, 2009 12:00 PM

Good topic. I can't say I've had relationship hopes "dashed" in the past year...kinda hard to "dash" what I've never had (meaning a relationship like that). But each time a holiday comes around, I do think "Maybe next year" and then the next year I think "Maybe next year"...you get the idea. Christmas is probably the hardest, because I usually have at least one or two social events that I attend alone.

This year, I've tried a different tactic. Every time I start to think about what I DON'T have (a relationship), I force myself to thank God for what I DO have: a loving family to spend the holidays with, friends, a home, transportation, a job, food, etc. Thinking about that keeps me from getting all down in the dumps. Someday I'll be able to think "Finally this year!", and I'm sure he will be worth the wait! :glow:

Tarasye

View Profile
History
Holiday strategies
Posted : 15 Nov, 2009 02:24 PM

That sounds like me. This year I took inventory on that and decided the Lord was going to have a difficult time filling that order from my living room. Decided to quit thinking about it and let God do His Job of being God, and I would do my part of being Tarasye. Meaning let Him worry about my relationships and I would be concerned with rolling up my sleeves and doing His Work. Got more involved with helping with projects that were seriously suffering for my talents, prayers or funds. Also reviewed my profiles and made sure they reflected the person of Faith that I am, for how could I expect things to work out with someone when they thought they were getting someone other than what I put out there, besides why would I want someone that wasn't as strong in their faith as I am? I mean really, I don't want to lead my house, I want a strong man to lead my house, and be proud of the fact that I can have an intelligent conversation of Faith where we help each other grow further in our Journey together.

I am still waiting of course, but I now have several ministries that I am helping with and having a blast with, too I might add, and I am meeting interesting people, both women and men, single and married that inspire me. I am going to Trust God on this one, for looking back, He has provided my every need, and as I have been blessed, it matters that I be that blessing to someone else, both people I know and people I do not know for in lifting them up, He lifts me up, closer to Him.

Tarasye

View Profile
History
Holiday strategies
Posted : 15 Nov, 2009 09:25 PM

I always spend the holidays with my family (parents and sisters). Now that I've gone away to college I don't see my family as often so I relish the holidays as an excuse to spend time with them. I know that there will probably be a time in the future when my sisters and I will have families of our own and we may not always get to see each other during Thanksgiving and Christmas.

I always get excited when Thanksgiving rolls around. I love baking dishes for the dinner and the weekend after Thanksgiving our Christmas decorations come out. I love wrapping Christmas presents and baking Christmas goodies. I also really enjoy participating in holiday activities at church and pulling out the Christmas CDs and piano music.

I sometimes wish I had a special someone to share in the festivities, but for the time being I will enjoy the opportunity to spend time with the family God has blessed me with.

View Profile
History
Holiday strategies
Posted : 16 Nov, 2009 09:30 AM

Each year around the holidays I just take a deep breath, remind myself of the things I do have to be thankful for and then I tell myself, this year just Isn't the year but maybe next year. Although, each year that I tell myself that It gets harder and harder because I want a family of my own. The holidays just arent the same when It's just me and my daughter. I always feel like something Is missing.

View Profile
History
Holiday strategies
Posted : 16 Nov, 2009 04:38 PM

I feel ya ladies~~but I remember all too well the holidays I spent in grief and loneliness because my first husband did not want to join the kids and I or he was busy being "out". So~~I thank God for the day I am in now and dream of the future~ and try to hang with a couple of lady friends, which helps a lot.

My kids and family are close by too~so I can visit them pretty much anytime~especially when the despair gets overwhelming at times.

Serving others and staying busy is a good outlet~there are sooo many lonely people everywhere. :purpleangel:

View Profile
History
Holiday strategies
Posted : 17 Nov, 2009 05:26 AM

feel sorry for myself and cry alot........just kidding.....or not!

In Christ

Steve