Author Thread: Judgment and Discernment
Admin

Judgment and Discernment
Posted : 7 Jun, 2008 12:44 PM

I�ve noticed recently on some of the ladies profiles that a desirable trait in their ideal Christian man is someone who does not �Judge� or �pass judgment� I was just wondering if any of you girls would like to define the term �judgment� for me and if you can tell me the difference between �passing judgment� upon a person, and using ones �discernment� to identify what one sees when they look at a person?

Many times I�ve been in the company of friends and we will notice a woman whose dressing immodestly, or provocatively. One of us will make a comment like �That girl is immodest� Or �That girl is attracting the wrong kind of attention� the next phrase almost always seems to follow �Well don�t judge her, you don�t know what kind of background she has� or �I don�t judge, the bible says judge not lest you be judged� Is this a correct assessment of the term �passing judgment�?

I�m teaching myself with a little bible study to find the answer and I�m going to post my findings, let me know if you think I�m on target.

The one of the greatest men to ever walk the earth was King Solomon and he was known throughout history as a man of great wisdom and discernment. Note what he asks God for in these verses.

1Ki 3:9 Give therefore thy servant an understanding heart to judge thy people, that I may discern between good and bad: for who is able to judge this thy so great a people?

1Ki 3:10 And the speech pleased the Lord, that Solomon had asked this thing.

1Ki 3:11 And God said unto him, Because thou hast asked this thing, and hast not asked for thyself long life; neither hast asked riches for thyself, nor hast asked the life of thine enemies; but hast asked for thyself understanding to discern judgment;

1Ki 3:12 Behold, I have done according to thy words: lo, I have given thee a wise and an understanding heart; so that there was none like thee before thee, neither after thee shall any arise like unto thee.

So here we have Solomon actually asking God to give him a heart to judge his people and the ability to �discern� between good and bad. You see it is not a sin to judge between what is right or what is wrong, and a man needs godly wisdom and discernment to choose right from wrong in his life. The problem is when people �pass judgment� upon others as if they were God. For instance if instead of my friends and I saying �That girl is immodestly dressed� we said something like �May that girl be cursed for her gross immodesty!� or �She will never be a virtuous woman and will always be like that!� those statements would be considered passing judgment. However, it is important that we as Christians use discernment to judge each others actions and see if they are proper or not. If you love your brothers and sisters in Christ then you will correct them in love and make them aware of actions that are displeasing to our Lord. Turning a blind eye and refusing to identify blatant sin is no more virtuous than eating a rotten fruit and calling it good.

This is how we can know who is following the Lord and who is not; this is how we can discern what is right and what is wrong as we are faced with situations where judgments must be made.

Mt 7:16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?

Mt 7:17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.

Mt 7:18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.

Mt 7:19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

Mt 7:20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

By the outward display of fruit we can know who, or what is good, and who, or what is evil. Keep reading Mathew 7:21 for Gods judgment.

I use this verse to create a simple analogy that helps me understand what an acceptable form of judgment is and what is un unacceptable form of passing judgment.

Mt 21:19 And when he saw a fig tree in the way, he came to it, and found nothing thereon, but leaves only, and said unto it, Let no fruit grow on thee henceforward for ever. And presently the fig tree withered away.

Jesus says in Mathew 7:19 that every tree that fails to bring forth good fruit is hewn (cut) down and cast into the fire. And so Jesus, after finding no figs on this tree, smites it as he does with any fruitless tree, or unprofitable servant. Now if I were to walk up to that same fig tree it would not be judgmental for me to say �Hey this is a bad tree, it bares no fruit� Any man with reasonable discernment will arrive that the same conclusion, and it is good that he is able to identify a poor tree. What a man can not do is pass judgment upon that tree as if he were God himself and smite the tree or �Pass judgment� upon the tree.

In conclusion I hope this helps some of you as studying the issue has helped me understand a little more. Make sure when you accuse somebody of judging you that they are indeed passing judgment. Always be ready to receive correction and loving rebuke when needed. Never be too proud or arrogant to learn from those who can see faults in you.

Pr 17:10 � A reproof entereth more into a wise man than an hundred stripes into a fool.

Pr 27:6 Faithful are the wounds of a friend�

Let me know if you guys find any other verses that may help with understanding this topic ^_^

Fight the Good fight,

Johnathan

jeanene1987

View Profile
History
Judgment and Discernment
Posted : 10 Jun, 2008 12:02 PM

Dear RightKnight,

I read your post and it does make sense. I had just read those passages in the bible like ten minutes before I read your post. I'm sure this will help and enlighten many. Keep writing. GOD BLESS YOU! :angel:

JEANENE

View Profile
History
Judgment and Discernment
Posted : 23 Jun, 2008 01:34 PM

Johnothan,

Ahhhh, what a subject! Judgement, I think, is when you make an assumption before you really know the facts. Discernment, on the other hand, is when you SEE something or hear something that your guts say "Hmmm, this isn't right" When people judge, they usually do it in harsh manner, mostly to make themselves look better I think. If you look very bad, they look oh so good!

Did you ever watch a television evangelist and something in you just says, "Ah, I don't know"? That is discernment. Or perhaps you are with someone and they are telling you a wild story and you just feel inside it isn't right, discernment. It is a good thing ot tell the truth. It is a good thing to speak and say something when you see or hear someone doing something that is opposite of the Word of God. I would think Jesus apperared to be judgemental when He told the Pharesies they were whited sepulchres full of dead mans bones! Mt. 23-27. He was telling the trth, and He was not judgemental. And, some would say, it's okay to tell the truth "in love", but that is according to their own idea of what "in love" is! It sure didn't sound that way when Jesus said that!But it was! I have told the truth to some and they reject it and they have told me I was arrogant, hurtful, egocentric and critical! So, don't worry about those who say such things when you know you are telling them the truth and trying to show them reality, and they will not listen, MT 10:14....And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet....JESUS said..MT 10:34...Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword! The truth hurts, and it is meant to, so we may change, but some will not. And, dear one, the most dangerous ones are those who use the their Christianity to hide behind. They will sting you the fastest! But, MT 10:40,,,,He that receives you, receives me, and he that receives me receives him that sent me!..Words of Jesus! God Bless you and cover you with His precious blood of Christ Jesus!

View Profile
History
Judgment and Discernment
Posted : 26 Jun, 2008 09:33 PM

Judgement and discernment...the two bad boys...

When I think of Judgement I think of black and white...If you don't do this or that etc....Boom! Or...You did it ...I saw it with my own eyes.....Boom!!

I think of Discernment as gray...Judgement is the facts but Discernment is the evidence that sways the facts...

Solomon was the wisest man ever...no doubt...but had trouble in his own back yard because he was too close to the situation to make valid decisions where Godly women were concerned...

The Bible cites many Biblical heroes as having an "achilles heel!" If these wise discerning men were perfect, where would God fit...

Dating Sites have a judgmental flair because they cannot experience the evidence firsthand. They have closed the door before they opened it...

Having that 6th sense of discernment is not an easy trait to develop if it doesn't come naturally or spiritually. It' s something to work at...

My grandmother used to say "Believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see...!

Pretty good advise from a crafty old lady! lol:peace:

View Profile
History
Judgment and Discernment
Posted : 29 Jun, 2008 12:46 AM

Well thank you very much for your replies, I think what caused me to write this was my irritation at people who stifle good discernment with a false "your being judgemental" label.

Thanks for your imput and encouragement.

sincerely,

Johnathan aka RightKnight

Deborahe

View Profile
History
Judgment and Discernment
Posted : 19 Jul, 2008 07:54 AM

AMEN, Jonathan !

When God allows someone to discern certain things, folks immediately fire back with, "you're judgeing". Satan uses

that a lot to get Christians to back off; Of course he doesn't want the TRUTH told.

GOD gave us discernment, Saints !

Don't be afraid to use it ! ! !

Love in Christ,

Deborah

Phoenyx

View Profile
History
Judgment and Discernment
Posted : 6 Apr, 2009 01:03 PM

I thought of the Bible saying not to judge meant their soul, meaning don't judge them to Heaven or Hell, because we don't know, but speaking on the future is a way of judgement too. Thank you for the post.