Author Thread: Giving up someone when you love God more
GraceMae

View Profile
History
Giving up someone when you love God more
Posted : 6 Dec, 2009 07:09 PM

Have you ever had to choose between someone you really cared about and God?

Well, I just wanted to share my experience which has been almost 13 years ago now. Because of a traumatic divorce experience, I had my first encounter with an online dating site because I wasn�t ready real soon to deal with men in any kind of personal in the flesh dating experience so I thought online communications would be safer, and I�d sorta get myself used to communicating again with men using that medium. I met a person who really was appealing to me. He was educated, smart, and funny; we could talk about worldly things, our jobs, sensual things, and the like; poetry really did it for me. You know it�s something when you got somebody who can write to you, and be consistent, diligently consistant about it. That�s what we were. We did meet once during a flight layover in his city during my travels one year for a Christmas holiday with my parents. Meeting him was just exciting as writing him and communicating with him by phone.

Then a couple years after that, I had my �experience� with the Lord when my grandmother died. Something happened to me with God. At that point I was different. See, I�d always believed in God, but I guess I always placed Him so high up there in the sky. I didn�t keep God with me close in my daily choices, living, decision making. Well, when my Grandmother passed away, something happened with me and God. I allowed Him to touch me deep inside my heart and He began to start changing me. I got so involved in the bible. I mean, mind you, I had at least 4 or 5 bibles scattered around my apartment at that time, but� God wasn�t a functional inclusive part of my days� I never spent time studying the word. I think I knew if I got revelation about the "truth", I'd be convicted about things, and even then, I didn't want that.

Let me get back to the giving up part�. SO�. As I tried to share my experiences and discussions about God with my friend, and want to talk about God with him, everything about our relationship changed. The more I wanted to share the good things I was feeling about God and the Word, and getting involved in church and ministry, the more our relationship became uncomfortable. Finally we had a talk and he explained that while he believed in God, God was not apart of his life to the extent that we could talk about him and explore Him together. Well, that changed everything for me. Not so much that he was a bad person, but just that God had started to begin showing me Himself in my life at that time, and that I was faced with a decision to choose. From the worlds view of position, this mans� got it going on! Nothing that God did, but something that the Holy Spirit was doing inside me.

I tell you, if there was any man that turned me on, he was definitely �the one�, BUT God turned me on more than him. We are still friends today, however on a totally different level. He respects me, what I�ve been doing in my walk, and that�s that.

It�s important to have Christian fellowship because you can share, bond with one another because of a mutual & shared love for God. I was faced with a choice. Nothing forced from God, but one that I freely made on my own. God gave me the choice and I made the right choice. God is faithful as we are faithful. He gives us one another to fall back on to we need support. Scripture tells us "iron sharpens iron".

~ GraceMae

View Profile
History
Posted : 6 Dec, 2009 09:42 PM

dear grace, another good example of needing to be close to on the same page ..

ole cattle

View Profile
History
Posted : 7 Dec, 2009 04:04 PM

Sweet Grace, Sincerely...thank you for your post. I still have many Bibles scattered around my place...translations can lose or amplify "Word" meaning...lol...Anyway...Similar events and Yes I have had to make such a choice and not only once. I not only believe, I know I made the right choice....xo

View Profile
History
Posted : 16 Dec, 2009 05:44 AM

I understand where you are coming from, I had to learn that lesson the hard way myself.

Tomlane