Author Thread: PKs & MKs Unite
Admin

PKs & MKs Unite
Posted : 13 Apr, 2010 10:00 AM

If you are a preacher's kid or a missionary kid this group is for you. Feel free to share your experience as being a Pk or an MK with others. For example, I remember when I was growing up if you were a PK you were automatically seen as a wild kid. I understand clearly where that view was coming from because most of the pks and the mks that I know were pretty wild. I find it hard that many were making it a stereotype. I always felt like I was classified with a group that I don't really belong to, the "wild ones".lol. It was ironic because being wild would have been the last thing on my mind growing up and I am really thankful for the way that my parents brought me up.

What's your story?

View Profile
History
PKs & MKs Unite
Posted : 3 Aug, 2010 09:01 PM

If this is an actual group, point me to where I can sign up. As an MK/PK we are naturally expected to behave in certain ways. Growing up I traveled extensively. Spending months at a time in a car and living in other peoples homes has unfortunately left me with a difficulty at interpersonal relationships. [Superficial is easy, Im talking real] There has been a book published on TCK or "third culture kids."

We are indeed a unique culture, devoid of land but quite cosmopolitan. Forgot the name but its a good read and very enlightening.

As an MK I found sociology and cultural studies a blast and easy reading through college. My American counterparts, however, [nothing against Americans I was in US for college] had trouble seeing the gray through black and white. I find this especially apparent in a religious context. In Canada I find things just the same, mental inflexibility to the influx of diversity. Where things are not right or wrong but only different. [ Im also talking religiously as well. ]

So far as a PK goes; I assume that you are more along the lines of a PK as due to how your post was phrased. The idea, more like a myth, that PK's or MK's for that matter should be more "saintly" than others their age is inbred in the minds of all; religious and non religious. Having a pastor for a dad makes us more high profile in the minds of others. We are, unfortunately an example to parents of how our parents parent. If that makes sense. And so far as being rambunctious, I was, and am. I think that this mentality is due to compensation to restrictiveness/having others watching us so closely. Sorry for the ramble, your post looked lonely. Jon.

View Profile
History
PKs & MKs Unite
Posted : 3 Sep, 2010 12:20 PM

You mentioning how PK/MK's are viewed by the layman as suppose to be more "saintly" than non-PK/MK's brought to mind something my mom had said to me a few years ago. Long before I was born, when my brother was about 2 or 3, my mom was walking past a classroom that my brother was in. He was younger than a lot of the children in there (I think most were about 5 or 6.) Anyway, the teacher told him that he had to be a very well behaved little boy since he was the preacher's son and was expected to be a role model.