Author Thread: Hey...I gotta know what you all think about...
Admin

Hey...I gotta know what you all think about...
Posted : 24 Nov, 2010 07:02 AM

...Christmas.

Specifically since celebrating it is not in Scripture. I mean would it be a sin to do something that man has made a tradition? I mean would that be opening a door for other man made traditions to creep into our Christian lives?

I just thought this might make for an interesting conversation.

Hmmm...?

View Profile
History
Posted : 26 Nov, 2010 09:00 AM

Garrett,

There are some great Traditions that The Church instituted such as The Wedding Ring (which came from the pagan one of tying a twig around a finger) and have become Symbols of Our Faith.

If The Church had relied on Scripture Only...we would not have The New Testament today...we would still have over 300 books and letters claiming to have been inspired by God.

Probably more like a "few thousands" because of the way the "new church" believes in "individual communications straight from God" which would "allow" for many more books and letters "inspired" by God.

That's how "new" religions got started (such as the one by Betty White and Glen Miller and Joe Smith and...). When individuals have no Authority from God here on earth...they can claim anything they want and no one can dispute them. Wow...what an opportunity! God's Plan...right?

View Profile
History
Posted : 26 Nov, 2010 09:05 AM

Shawn,

There are many references in letters and books and Church Documents pertaining to The Early Church's celebration of Christ's Mass and Easter.

Also. see my response about pagan influences and how The Church would substitute Church Festivals and build churches on pagan sites.

GarrettO

View Profile
History
Posted : 2 Jan, 2011 01:16 AM

The early church did not rely on a Bible because one did not exist. The letters existed but not every congregation had them. Word of mouth and traditions had to be passed down. With Christmas and Easter they have their intent. Yes they were used to drive out paganism and it worked. But do not mistake some of what they do for paganism worship. I who is Catholic get accused of this all the time but their is not fact to back it up that I am a pagan Mary worshiping heathen. But to claim that the authority comes of not celebrating these holidays because of silence of scriptures is wrong. Silence in scripture is not a prohibition of something. This is found nowhere in the scriptures. Also a CENI approach is non-existent as well.

Page : 1 2