Author Thread: Hey...I gotta know what you all think about...
Admin

Hey...I gotta know what you all think about...
Posted : 24 Nov, 2010 07:02 AM

...Christmas.

Specifically since celebrating it is not in Scripture. I mean would it be a sin to do something that man has made a tradition? I mean would that be opening a door for other man made traditions to creep into our Christian lives?

I just thought this might make for an interesting conversation.

Hmmm...?

View Profile
History
Posted : 24 Nov, 2010 09:09 AM

@arch:

I will let the Word of YHWH speak about this matter.

Ecc 7:1 A good name is better than precious ointment; and the day of death than the day of one's birth.

Believers are never told to remember the day Yeshua became man.

We are tolld to proclaim His death every time when we meet.

1Corinthians 11:23 For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, That the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread:

1Co 11:24 And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.

1Co 11:25 After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.

1Corinthians 11:26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.

Agape' and Charis:

St.George

View Profile
History
Posted : 24 Nov, 2010 10:27 AM

You mean celebrate holidays like birthdays, thanksgiving,new years Veterans,day labor day, valentines day. And exclude christmas because its a religious holiday and not mentioned in scripture? Because some church redefined a pagan holiday, changing the time of Jesus's birth?

hmmmm... I think we as Christians should do what we can with what we've got.

View Profile
History
Posted : 24 Nov, 2010 11:00 AM

Why would We NOT Celebrate the Birth of the Messiah Jesus the Christ ? The Wise Men sought Him & when found Him�gave Gifts & Worshipped Him�I�ve not found anywhere in Scripture that says we Should not do this�xo

View Profile
History
Posted : 24 Nov, 2010 11:03 AM

P.S. Trucker...Dont get me started on You sayin We spose ta be Proclaimin Jesus* Death...xo

View Profile
History
Posted : 24 Nov, 2010 11:13 AM

I guess the shepherds out in the field shoulda kept their mouths shut that night the the angels showed up with a big~"Joy to the World, the Lord has come!" Hark the Herald Angels sing and all that pagan stuff. :glow:

DontHitThatMark

View Profile
History
Posted : 24 Nov, 2010 02:58 PM

I have a hard time celebrating the traditional Christmas as "religious" with all the pagan symbolism, etc. The "reasons" behind Christmas aren't exactly good, but I do celebrate it. I just try not to pretend that gifts/Christmas trees/Dec. 25th is Christian. So I kinda celebrate it as two holidays, lol. A secular one physically and a religious one spiritually. It's a season for giving, like God did. That's a good thing to practice. My family never had any kind of hardcore "thing" about celebrating Christmas on the 25th, we just did it "around" that time, whenever all my family could be together, so I've never really looked at Christmas as important.

:peace::peace:

View Profile
History
Posted : 24 Nov, 2010 09:26 PM

I don't celebrate the birth of Jesus at Christmas. That is what Tabernacles is for. However I love the lights and the giving and I really get into the spirit if the real St Nicholas and try to remember it as a day to take his example and live it out in one way or another. And I like the egg nog too.

Christmas is not a holiday God gave to His people to keep. The death of Jesus is to be remembered and shared with each other as encouragement but it too is not to be observed as a holiday. That is what Passover is for.

Thunder

View Profile
History
Posted : 25 Nov, 2010 04:32 PM

Guys (and Gals)

What I wanted to talk about was how we choose when we want to use "Scripture Only" and "If it is not in Scripture...then we are not to do it."

There are many things that we as Christians have learned to do or celebrate or use that is not in Scripture. That does not make them wrong or sinful.

GarrettO

View Profile
History
Posted : 26 Nov, 2010 02:06 AM

Nowhere in scripture is Sola Scriptura supported. In 2 Thess. 2:15 it says So then, brothers, stand firm and hold to the traditions that you were taught by us, either by our spoken word or by our letter. So is it wrong to follow traditions? No. The church made the day of Dec 25 to celebrate the Birth of our Lord. Why wouldn't we want to do it? And if you do or do not you have to ask yourself the question is it a Salvation issue?

View Profile
History
Posted : 26 Nov, 2010 08:13 AM

I personally have moved more and more away from celebrating holidays each year. I really do not see any biblical support for celebrating Christmas or Easter. I do not see where the early church celebrated them. Without having any evidence at hand to support my claims, I do think there is a lot of pagan influence in holidays. Easter is supposed to be about Christs death and resurrection, I do that everytime I take communion.

Page : 1 2