Author Thread: Arabian Nights' Entertainments
Mercymay

View Profile
History
Arabian Nights' Entertainments
Posted : 27 Nov, 2010 11:24 PM

From my current book I found this secular life instructions:

Noureddin Ali to son Bedridden Hassan

First: Not to make yourself familiar with all sorts of people. The way to live happy is to keep your mind to yourself, and not tell your thoughts easily.

Second: Not to do violence to any body whatever; for in that case you will draw every body�s hatred upon you. You ought to consider the world is a creditor, to whom you owe moderation, compassion, and forbearance.

Third: Not to say a word when you are reproached; for, as the proverb says, He that keeps silence, is out of danger. And in this case particularly you ought to practice it; you also know what one of our poets says upon this subject, That silence is the ornament and safeguard of life; that our speech ought not to be like a storm of rain that spoils all: Never did any man yet repent of having spoke too little, whereas many have been sorry that they spoke too much.

Fourth: To drink no wine, for that is the source of all vices.

Fifth: To be frugal in your way of living; if you do not squander your estate away, it will maintain you in time of necessity. I do not mean you should be either too liberal or too niggardly; for though you have never so little, if you husband it well, and lay it out on proper occasions, you shall have many friends; but if, on the contrary, you have great riches, and make but a bad use of them, all the world will forsake you, and leave you to yourself.

Still on the first quarter and so far so many fairy tales where the main character is delivered and have abundance through trusting his fate in God.