Author Thread: Hermeneutics/Exegesis/Holy Spirit/Church Tradition
Admin

Hermeneutics/Exegesis/Holy Spirit/Church Tradition
Posted : 9 Dec, 2010 03:06 PM

I have noticed Christians on this forum have different beliefs according to HOW they read the Bible. ie : HOW they determine truth from the scriptures.

I have noticed everything from 100% Spirit/spirit led interpretations to saying only a church can interpret scripture and every thing in between. I believe any ONE way excluding all others will lead to error. Therefore I pose three questions, feel free to answer one or all.

1) How do you read, interpret, glean truth, ie : How do YOU know what the Bible passage really means?

2) What is the correct way to interpret scripture?

3) The Bible is sometimes referred to as "living". What does this mean to you?

View Profile
History
Posted : 11 Dec, 2010 02:12 AM

No two disciples of Jesus agreed on everything~cause we are human and err. The Holy Spirit is given to us to seek the truth with our whole heart. Sometimes we see with 1/4 or 1/2 cause we still want self to be a part of the equation. But if you notice, in the book of Acts (not the book of the Catholic church) they were led of the SPIRIT~Stephen was FULL of the Holy Ghost when he looked up and saw Jesus. I think we should seek that same fullness. "Being full of the Holy Ghost" was something that left no room for error. But in their daily lives, I think the disciples did some "flesh" motivated stuff like the rest of us. How about when they asked Jesus who would sit next to Him? He ashed them back, "are you able to drink this same cup that I drink?"

Meaning, the most anointed people of God are humble and suffer often. HUMILITY will steer us in the right interpretation with the Holy Spirit guiding us. "Many are the afflictions of the righteous" is something to ponder here~are we able to drink that cup and sit next to Jesus or interpret the word correctly. Yes, only through HIM and of Him and by Him.

Good answers, Saved~

Arch~do you know what Matt. 5:44 says and do you try to live by it? Would you like help with the interpretation of that one from "your church" or can this "failing forward" lover of Jesus help ya out a little? TS would be a good person for you to practice on, there bro.:purpleangel: Not that he is your enemy, it's just that you treat him like one.

MargoSolo

View Profile
History
Posted : 11 Dec, 2010 11:07 AM

Hi Arch

The body of Christ is composed of all true believers, not a specific church. There are many that go to church (any church) but are not Christians. Jesus spoke of this when he taught the parable of the wheat and the tares. (Matthew 13: 36-43 ). The Bible has many passages that outline the authenticity of a Christian, and indications of such. The entire book of 1 John is one of them. That doesn�t give anybody a license to judge but it does provide guidance in this area.

Concerning oral tradition: I wasn�t saying that oral tradition was the only way the Catholic church passed down teachings. Yes, of course that would be silly to think. Throughout my post, I was addressing (and I thought you were too) the oral passing down of the INTENT (ie the interpretation and meaning) of the scriptures, which I believe is in error because the meanings prescribed are contrary to scripture. We have already given many examples of this.

Concerning our enemy. � You wrote:

�You have to ask yourself��which would the dark one rather have�One Church (United) (which was the case for over 1500 years) or 38,000 different churches? Which would you say was a triumph for him?�

He�ll go after anyone he can! He will go after anyone or any church that he can get a foothold on. It is not about �rather having�.

�Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.� � 1 Peter 5:8

I hope you come to see this, Arch.

View Profile
History
Posted : 13 Dec, 2010 10:39 PM

It's like speaking to the walls!

I really believe that you folks would have been right along side those that left Jesus because

"His saying is too harsh!" Jesus lost 1,000 of believers that day! Jesus did not go after them...why not?

You lean on your own personal interpretation of Scripture...not what The Church has believed from the beginning...from the moment Christ Taught Her.

Page : 1 2 3 4