Author Thread: Books worth reading...
SoulUntouched

View Profile
History
Books worth reading...
Posted : 16 Dec, 2010 06:31 AM

Hey!

Can anyone suggest any good Christian Novels. I have read 'He's Fine...But is He Saved?' and the sequel 'He's Saved...But is He For Real?' by Kim Brooks, they were a pretty good read and I would recommend them for anyone especially single women/young ladies. I have also read 'A Day With a Perfect Stranger' a nice, simple, quick read. I like books that touch on personal issues and relationships involving faith.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

View Profile
History
Books worth reading...
Posted : 17 Dec, 2010 03:41 AM

Lady In Waiting by Jackie Kendall/Debby Jones and Knight In Shining Armor by P.B. Wilson are good books for single women about Christian relationships. Some really good Christian fiction books are Between Sundays and Oceans Apart by Karen Kingsbury, Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers, and The Princess by Lori Wick. There is a book called Men Are Waffles, Women Are Spaghetti (I forget the authors) about relationships, but I don't know if it is any good. I have only read the teenage version of that book, but it was really good.

View Profile
History
Books worth reading...
Posted : 17 Dec, 2010 09:53 AM

Oh, I loved Ocean's Apart, Katie! It was such a touching story! I've also enjoyed Karen Kingsbury's Even Now and its sequel, Ever After. They're both tearjerkers! As for non-fiction:

x Passion on Purpose (Dr. Deborah Newman)

x Strong Woman, Soft Hearts (Paula Rinehart)

x Beautiful in God's Eyes, The Treasures of the Proverbs 31 Woman (Elizabeth George)

x Mere Christianity (C.S. Lewis)

x The Hiding Place (Corrie ten Boom)

I'm in the middle of those first two, but they're great so far! I'm sure there are other because I love to read, but those are the ones that really stand out to me. For secular fiction, I love Pearl Buck and Jodi Picoult. You have to be careful with Jodi Picoult's books, though, because some of them have some not-so-great themes. I have like 7 or 8 of them, which I really enjoyed.

View Profile
History
Books worth reading...
Posted : 18 Dec, 2010 02:34 AM

I have wanted to read Even Now for awhile now, but I never have money to buy books! All the books I have are either borrowed or were given to me... and my mom never buys me Christian books. Maybe I will just have to read a little bit of it every time I go to the bookstore with my mom!

View Profile
History
Books worth reading...
Posted : 18 Dec, 2010 05:44 AM

Hi! ;)

Try 'The Screwtape Letters' by C.S.Lewis and 'Finding Your Strongest Life' by Marcus Buckingham. I just finished reading them last week. Awesome readings and definitely worth buying. ;)

God bless

View Profile
History
Books worth reading...
Posted : 18 Dec, 2010 09:11 AM

I don't know what the libraries are like where you live, Katie, but that could be an option. Also, if you start a book review blog, authors and publishers will sometimes send you books to review for free. It's cheap advertising for them =) You could also just drop a really big hint with your mother. Every time you go to the bookstore with her, pick up the book and say something like, "I sure wish I had a copy of this."

bcpianogal

View Profile
History
Books worth reading...
Posted : 18 Dec, 2010 10:18 AM

Thrift stores are a great place to pick up cheap books...I should know, because my sister can't go in a thrift store without buying a whole stack of them!

As for good novels, I love the Mark of the Lion series ("A Voice in the Wind", "Echo in the Darkness", and "Sure as the Dawn") by Francine Rivers. In fact, most anything by Francine Rivers is good. They have a little romance, a lot of faith lessons, and some action. They are also great for giving you a good cry if you need that! I boohoo like a baby at the end of "A Voice in the Wind" every time I read it, even though I know what happens. :rolleyes:

A newer author that I love is Mindy Starns Clark. Her books are Christian mystery/romance. My favorite series is the "Million Dollar Mystery" series, with the "Smart Chick Mysteries" coming in as a very close second. Her single novels are good too, but not quite as interesting to me.

If you love psychological thrillers, or books dealing with good and evil on a supernatural level, try some of Ted Dekker's books. I like most of them, but some of them are a little strange. I'd recommend starting with "Three" or "Obsessed."

Catherine Marshall's "Christy" and "Julie" are really good, as is "A Man Called Peter."

Some other good authors that write more "substantial" books than some of the other fluff writers include: Bodie Thoene (she writes awesome historical fiction), Lori Wick (though she does write fluff too), T. Davis Bunn (esp. "The Book of Hours"), and Gilbert Morris (though I've not read as much of his stuff).

View Profile
History
Books worth reading...
Posted : 18 Dec, 2010 12:12 PM

Oh, Christy IS good!! My mother read it to me when I was about 10 or 11 and I'd totally forgotten about it! I loved it, though, and should see if I can borrow her copy next time I'm over there.

Another REALLY good book is Papa's Wife, by Thyra Ferre Bjorn. The end will probably make you cry, so have some tissues handy! It's fiction that is loosely based on the author's life, or rather, her mother's life. Basically, it's about this Swedish family. The husband/dad is a pastor. It's just about their various misadventures as a family. Partway through the book, they immigrate to the States. It is SO good. It was written in the 50s and the copy I have is from the 70s. I'm not sure if it's even still in print actually. There's a sequel to the book too, which I had to have special-ordered and it took my MONTHS to get it. The sequel wasn't nearly as good, though.

SoulUntouched

View Profile
History
Books worth reading...
Posted : 18 Dec, 2010 01:12 PM

Thanks everyone...sounds like some great suggestions. Definitely give them a read. x

View Profile
History
Books worth reading...
Posted : 19 Dec, 2010 11:57 PM

When I'm at home I'll go to the library, but mostly to see the librarians. They don't have alot of Christian fiction... I have pretty much read all of them! When I go to Nebraska (where I went to college), I will go to my school's library and I usually end up with more books than I can read in the amount of time I am visiting! I might have to try out that book review blog, that sounds like an awesome idea!

View Profile
History
Books worth reading...
Posted : 20 Dec, 2010 06:19 AM

I've been reading Googling God and it's surprisingly pretty good. It's for skeptics like me that don't know what to trust or make of God's place in organized religion (Me being ironic on purpose there). Very good book, like having an honest conversation with a friend about God, and what they think and what their experience is and why they believe what they do.

Page : 1 2