Author Thread: LAW & GRACE UNVEILED!
Admin

LAW & GRACE UNVEILED!
Posted : 19 Dec, 2010 12:05 AM

You get hired as a 'paid by the piece' worker by a Acme Widget Company. You are given the 'Rules' one of which say : "Anyone not producing 25,000 widgets per week will be automatically terminated"

A few years later you are promoted to a production management position at the same company. Because your job description changed so radically you enter in to a new contract which Acme Widget Company. The contract describes a salaried position and the only rule is to closely follow the owners wishes.

In your new position you are still are still responsible for producing a certain amount of widgets, but you are no longer paid by the piece, nor are you automatically terminated for not meeting a quota. None of the company rules have changed, but your position has.

View Profile
History
LAW & GRACE UNVEILED!
Posted : 19 Dec, 2010 10:21 PM

I double checked and charis (Grace) is used 155 times in the New Testament and it looks as though Thunders definition applies specifically to the book of Acts. The definition I gave is applicable to the rest of the New Testament.

View Profile
History
LAW & GRACE UNVEILED!
Posted : 19 Dec, 2010 10:58 PM

Or...

Are you making differentiation between common grace and efficacious grace?

View Profile
History
LAW & GRACE UNVEILED!
Posted : 20 Dec, 2010 08:02 AM

Twosparrows,

Here's Strong's:

charis

khar'-ece

From G5463; graciousness (as gratifying), of manner or act (abstract or concrete; literal, figurative or spiritual; especially the divine influence upon the heart, and its reflection in the life; including gratitude): - acceptable, benefit, favour, gift, grace (-ious), joy liberality, pleasure, thank (-s, -worthy).

I think the primary definition, if you will, is "the divine influence upon the heart, and its reflection in the life". It includes favor but it is not in and of itself favor. I believe that grace cannot be extended to us without mercy which puts us in a position of favor at that point and then grace, once received, is the influence that brings about the change in us to become Christ-like.

However I do believe that this definition is saying that things like "gratitude): - acceptable, benefit, favour, gift, grace (-ious), joy liberality, pleasure, thank (-s, -worthy)." are the result of the influence on us. Don't these things appear to line up with the fruit of the Spirit too? These things are a reflection in the life of the person who has received grace.

Comparison with sin:

Rom 5:20 But Law came in besides, that the deviation might abound. But where sin abounded, grace much more abounded,

Rom 5:21 that as sin ruled in death, so also grace might rule through righteousness to everlasting life, through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Here, grace (charis) is contrasted with sin. We know that sin is a powerful force we battle with everyday and the force we available to us to use to war against it is grace. Grace rules for eternity through Jesus but we know that sin will be thrown into the Lake of Fire. If sin and grace can rule then they are real powers that exist because of God and Satan and they have their effect on mankind as mankind chooses to yield to one or the other of them. We who believe express our faith in the merciful forgiveness of God, responding to the Gospel in obedience to it, and by so doing we turn from sin and submit to the power of grace which saves us to eternal life through Christ our Lord.

May the force of Grace be with you.

Thunder

View Profile
History
LAW & GRACE UNVEILED!
Posted : 20 Dec, 2010 02:04 PM

Thunder,

I feel a bit cheated...no reindeer reference? ...lol

I see where you are coming from a think we are coming to the same point from different angles. Your saying Grace is the power from God that works in a mans heart to change him..right? If so I would agree. What I am saying it is the Grace the unmerited favor from God that effects a change in the heart of a man.

(It is because of Gods unmerited favor that He offers us mercy)

View Profile
History
LAW & GRACE UNVEILED!
Posted : 20 Dec, 2010 06:29 PM

Maybe you should put this in the morals section for our buddy to read 2.

The lost sinner-Dennis

View Profile
History
LAW & GRACE UNVEILED!
Posted : 20 Dec, 2010 06:57 PM

GRACE DOES CHANGE US, AS BELIEVERS BECOME DOERS OF THE WORD THEN TRANSFORMATION COMES AND GRACE IS MULTIPLIED.

View Profile
History
LAW & GRACE UNVEILED!
Posted : 20 Dec, 2010 07:59 PM

Dennis,

Lol, think it would make a difference?

PJ,

I agree with you, but I don't think it is one thing or another, to explain : The Holy Spirit draws us because of Gods Grace, then the Holy Spirit opens our eyes to the Grace of God,because of God's Grace for us. If we choose to accept the offer of God's Grace, sooner or later God gives His Spirit in a powerful life changing way.

To sum it up, I see God's Grace and the Holy Spirit work together for the good of man.

We always need the Holy Spirit.

And we always stand in awe of God's Grace for us.

View Profile
History
LAW & GRACE UNVEILED!
Posted : 20 Dec, 2010 09:16 PM

Twosparrows.

Yeah, I think we'reon the same page with this one.

Thunder (the empowered reindeer) How's that? :laugh:

View Profile
History
LAW & GRACE UNVEILED!
Posted : 21 Dec, 2010 08:20 AM

@ sparrow&Thunder:

i believe thes verses show Grace as Gods power,not His unmerited favor.

Heb 2:9 But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.

1Pe 4:9 Use hospitality one to another without grudging.

1Pe 4:10 As every man hath received the gift, even so minister the same one to another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God.

There is a verse which says "Grace teaches us to say No to sin"

George

View Profile
History
LAW & GRACE UNVEILED!
Posted : 21 Dec, 2010 03:49 PM

Shared ~ There is a verse which says "Grace teaches us to say No to sin"

What Verse is that ? Do you mind sharing that with us all ?...xo

Page : 1 2 3